: Anybody else drive a 300C SRT-8 yet?

wicked v
01-25-06, 09:54 PM
A friend of a friend works at the Chysler/ Dodge design center. He drove a 300C SRT-8 over to my buddies house and we took it for a spin. Its a nice car and they did a good job with it. After driving it, I really appreciate my V. It just wasnt sporty enough and it did feel slower. When I gunned it off the line it just didnt have the same suck your butt into the seat feeling as the V. I took a tight turn and the stablity system shut it down big time. I guess for me it just felt too big and clumsy. Anybody else drive one of these yet? What did you think?

CIWS
01-25-06, 10:21 PM
I looked at them while I was car shopping, but never took the time to actually drive one. I personally didn't really care for the interior, just something about the way it felt and looked to me. Plus once fitted out I had a problem convincing myself to pay 45,000 + for a Chrysler when I could get a Cadillac. But that's just me.

jlakowicz
01-26-06, 05:09 AM
I drove one and thought it was great. It felt lighter than it is, and it goes faster than it feels. The car is too big for me from the outside but once inside it felt good.

Katshot
01-26-06, 05:42 AM
Drove it, loved it! I've seen them run 12's at the track bone stock so I know they're as fast or faster than any stock 'V'. As for the handling and traction control, I thought the car handled well, and the stability/traction control intervention was minimal yet recognizable. The interior still leaves me a little wanting but so do ALL the newer Cadillacs so I can't really say either has an edge in that department. The exhaust note is sweet, the trans seems well sorted out, and the car looks bad-ass from virtually any angle. If I were to get one, the only fear I would have would be tire replacement cost.

01-26-06, 07:14 AM
I thought that there was a ban on any more SRT-8 threads.

Oh well. Pass the popcorn.

Kadonny
01-26-06, 08:04 AM
I actually followed one the other day on my way home. First I had even seen one. It looked ok..........just ok.

That car really does nothing for me. The V screams "look at me" much more.

urbanski
01-26-06, 08:51 AM
I thought that there was a ban on any more SRT-8 threads.

Oh well. Pass the popcorn.
not a ban
but i said i will move each one of them.
if it gets nasty (again) the Lounge mods will lock it up (dead horse++)

Randy_W
01-26-06, 09:11 AM
The only side by side test I saw was of the '05 cars in Motor Trend. In that test the V ran a 13.1 @ 109.8 and the SRT8 ran a 13.2 @108.2. The '06 V is even quicker while the SRT stays the same. That trap speed actually indicates the LS6 is producing more horsepower than the 6.1 Hemi that's rated at 25 more!

Sandy
01-26-06, 02:59 PM
I like thr SRT-8 300C ~ but I LOVE the Dodge Charger version SRT-8. That car's interior is waaay better than the 300C. The SRT-8 Magnum has the 300C interior, almost identical, but the Charger rocks. Lovin' that center hood scoop on the Charger as well...Black, please.

Katshot
01-26-06, 03:28 PM
You want to see this thread go down hill? Keep making it a comparo between the 300c SRT-8 and the CTS-V. Come on guys, do we REALLY have to keep beating this dead horse? This thread was obviously started by someone interested in the SRT-8 and I don't recall him asking for 'V' guys to start getting defensive.
Can we PLEASE try to keep this thread to at least SEMI-positive stuff about the SRT-8 ONLY?
The two cars are obviously BOTH great cars form two different companies and therefore have slightly different takes on what this type of car should be. Can we just admit that and get on with life?

urbanski
01-26-06, 03:42 PM
You want to see this thread go down hill? Keep making it a comparo between the 300c SRT-8 and the CTS-V. Come on guys, do we REALLY have to keep beating this dead horse? This thread was obviously started by someone interested in the SRT-8 and I don't recall him asking for 'V' guys to start getting defensive.
Can we PLEASE try to keep this thread to at least SEMI-positive stuff about the SRT-8 ONLY?
The two cars are obviously BOTH great cars form two different companies and therefore have slightly different takes on what this type of car should be. Can we just admit that and get on with life?
well in fairness to the V guys, this post was in CTS-V before I moved it....so they just followed the redirect. I doubt many V folks come down to the Lounge to flame about SRT8s.

SpeedyArizona
01-26-06, 04:24 PM
I like both cars, but neither really draws my attention. The V looks like a normal CTS with a MUCH improved grille. The SRT-8 has some serious power, but it is a big car and that may detract from its performance. The V looks sportier and the SRT-8 looks down-right mean.

I'll stick to my little coupe's :cheers:!

Randy_W
01-26-06, 04:45 PM
The very first post compared the two, so, silly me, I assumed it was a comparison!

Sandy
01-26-06, 05:18 PM
Whats funny is SpeedyArizona says, "It's a BIG car" {Charger/300/Magnum}
... then I look at the poster's age. It's ALWAYS under 30. To me, it's a small car. I checked my Dodge Dart brochure (remember them?) and the Dart (compact !) and the Charger/300/Magnum are just about the same size !
My daily driver is a 2003 Town Car, and to me - it's "mid--size" as is the de Ville) or DTS. The new SLS (formerely Seville)is a large compact.
I guess it only takes one accident (that I was in - when a drunk cruised into me in the GARBAGE TRUCK that he stole, while running from the police,) to make one swear off of little cars. Sadly, the public today has had THAT choice all but taken away from them. I was used to 237 inch long, 80 inch w-i-d-e & 5,100 pound(er) Imperials with 440 (s) or Hemis underhood. You younger guys missed the golden age of some mighty great cars, when a small fender bender at 25 MPH caused the need for touch up paint and a new chrome strip! :)

Kev
01-26-06, 06:11 PM
.... You younger guys missed the golden age of some mighty great cars, when a small fender bender at 25 MPH caused the need for touch up paint and a new chrome strip! :)You've reminded me, Sandy, of an oportunity I once had at age 19 to buy a 57 Chrysler Imperial with a Hemi.. 392. It was a beautiful car (it needed to be restored but I loved the body style). It was pink and white or cream. It could have been mine for $500, unfortunately I didn't have a garage available in which to work on it so I had to pass it by.

What a great cruiser that baby would have been!

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1957/Foldout/Page09.jpg

Sandy
01-26-06, 06:52 PM
Darn .... you know how to get me aroused!:jawdrop:

What's unusual 'bout THAT painting is the they illustrate it WITHOUT the "Flightsweep" rear deck, AKA the toilet seat deck lid.

I got "smacked" more times on the hand in a 1957 than anywhere else. We had the rear air conditioning, and on the rear package shelf were these things that looked like miniture ampha-theatres ( like a vertical 1/2 shell)
that the cold air blew outta. Okay, so they could be posistioned anyway ya wanted, and they rotated on (of all things) ball bearings, (small ones) and they were metal - so they had some heft to them. Since Sandy sat in the back, and Mom & Dad in the front, Sandy had a game called "Spin the Vent" & I did just that and tried to beat my record for "spins" from the last spin :D and sometimes I'd get smacked over the seat, or screamed , since my Mom could never ever reach all the waaaay back to the back seat from the front.
We also found that making a small "spitball" the size of a dime, and placing said spitball (made of paper) INTO the vent and asking Dad to turn ON the REAR air "cause I was HOT" caused spit ball to launch forward into the front seat, causing a HOME RUN ! Go back seat team, GO ! (Causing yet another smack attempt from the front seat! ) Then there were those back seat cigar lighters, which got removed as soon as I discovered them. Back seat individual reading lamps on spin bases, man ya get them going 'round and the air vents spinning & the spit balls comin' outta the A/C vents it was a blast! (Hey, I was 10) Today's my Mom's 91st B'day, her 6th in heaven, so this was a good thing to post me. Fond memories
Thanks! ;) :yup:

Destroyer
01-26-06, 08:05 PM
. That trap speed actually indicates the LS6 is producing more horsepower than the 6.1 Hemi that's rated at 25 more!Not necessarily true. Which one weighs more?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-26-06, 08:35 PM
You've reminded me, Sandy, of an oportunity I once had at age 19 to buy a 57 Chrysler Imperial with a Hemi.. 392. It was a beautiful car (it needed to be restored but I loved the body style). It was pink and white or cream. It could have been mine for $500,

My dad had a 1957 Chrysler Windsor four door sedan from 1992-2001. It was pink (salmon) with white inserts. It was a really cool car :D. I think having a huge yacht like that is what made me love large american luxury sedans! I told myself right before we got sold that car, that I was gonna have a 1958 Plymouth Fury (Christine) for my first car. Of course I was 14 and very naive, and I didnt realize that wouldnt happen...

But yeah 1957 was a great year for Chrysler!

If I can find some pics of that car, I'll try to get them up here!

Sandy
01-26-06, 09:05 PM
This is NOT it ~ ~but, it is identical. We had the toilet seat on the decklid, and the Imperial Spear Eagle on the hood's center. A 4-Door Hardtop, no center bar. 2 missing cigar lighter in the rear and very loose A/C vents :rolleyes:

http://www.fotos.org/galeria/data/600/1957_Imperial_custom_Southhampton_Berline.JPG

Rolex
01-26-06, 09:29 PM
I looked at one of these things 2 weeks ago. It was attractive and I'm sure it is fast, but I didn't waste the time of the salesperson test driving it because I wasn't serious about buying. I agree the interior was lacking, but the seats felt good....much better than the seats in the 300 C.

I agree with what's said above about paying 45-47k for a Chrysler. The cost of maintenance, tire replacement, and mileage are all considerations I gave to owning the SRT 8 Jeep too. You pay sticker price for a fast vehicle, but in the end you're driving a Jeep or Chrysler. Call me vain but a Jeep just doesn't hold the same appeal for me [and most people?] as driving a Cadillac.

Someone also brought up the idea that while interest is high in these SRT 8 vehicles at this point, interest will surely fade. When it does you'll be WAAYYYY upside down after paying sticker price, and in some cases a few grand mark up.

To each his own. Between the SRT 8 Jeep and 300 I'd personally prefer the Jeep because I'm a truck/suv guy. Car and Driver managed to get 0-60 in 4.5 in the SRT 8 Jeep. :eek: I'll keep my Escalade over either.

Destroyer
01-26-06, 09:50 PM
To each his own. Between the SRT 8 Jeep and 300 I'd personally prefer the Jeep because I'm a truck/suv guy. Car and Driver managed to get 0-60 in 4.5 in the SRT 8 Jeep. :eek: I'll keep my Escalade over either.Yeah but the Escalade to me is now a rapper vechicle. Sorry, I liked them at first but now they are just ghetto. Thank MTV for that.

Rolex
01-26-06, 09:56 PM
Yeah but the Escalade to me is now a rapper vechicle. Sorry, I liked them at first but now they are just ghetto. Thank MTV for that.

I don't guess I watch enough MTV to appreciate your point of view. But reading the Escalade forum every other thread has to do with lowering the vehicle, replacing the wheels, or modifying it in some way, so the vehicle is often "over done" IMO. For me the Escalade is a luxury SUV with far more prestige than a Jeep. That was my point. :thumbsup:

Randy_W
01-26-06, 09:57 PM
Not necessarily true. Which one weighs more?

It isn't always true, but weight has much less effect on horsepower at speed than it does from a stop, and the Chrysler weighs about 250 -300 lbs. more. With the extra weight the h.p. to weight ratio is still the same, implying that actual h.p. output, at least at the traps, slightly favors the V.

SpeedyArizona
01-26-06, 10:53 PM
For me the Escalade is a luxury SUV with far more prestige than a Jeep. That was my point

I like the Escalade, but think it's become a bit too flambouyant with everyone in Hollywood owning one. I have a philosophy on owning cars, I always keep them stock (except for small upgrades like satellite radio etc). I could never justify paying $50,000 on a luxury SUV that will never meet any off-road trails. I would, however, like to spend $20,000 and get a new 2008 Wrangler to take down to Sedona and have a blast on the red rock!

Katshot
01-27-06, 07:42 AM
Yeah but the Escalade to me is now a rapper vechicle. Sorry, I liked them at first but now they are just ghetto. Thank MTV for that.

That's called taking the good with the bad. The success gained via that market segment has a flip-side I guess.

Katshot
01-27-06, 07:48 AM
It isn't always true, but weight has much less effect on horsepower at speed than it does from a stop, and the Chrysler weighs about 250 -300 lbs. more. With the extra weight the h.p. to weight ratio is still the same, implying that actual h.p. output, at least at the traps, slightly favors the V.

The V is lighter, the 300 has more power. The V has a manual, the 300 has an automatic which drains more power. Sounds like that all balances out. The only unknown to me at least is which one is more aerodynamic. The V "looks" slipperier than the 300 but I have no data to back that up.

Randy_W
01-27-06, 09:07 AM
Kat, I'd say that's a fair assesment!:yup:

RobertCTS
01-27-06, 02:17 PM
I looked at one of these things 2 weeks ago. It was attractive and I'm sure it is fast, but I didn't waste the time of the salesperson test driving it because I wasn't serious about buying. I agree the interior was lacking, but the seats felt good....much better than the seats in the 300 C.

I agree with what's said above about paying 45-47k for a Chrysler. The cost of maintenance, tire replacement, and mileage are all considerations I gave to owning the SRT 8 Jeep too. You pay sticker price for a fast vehicle, but in the end you're driving a Jeep or Chrysler. Call me vain but a Jeep just doesn't hold the same appeal for me [and most people?] as driving a Cadillac.

Someone also brought up the idea that while interest is high in these SRT 8 vehicles at this point, interest will surely fade. When it does you'll be WAAYYYY upside down after paying sticker price, and in some cases a few grand mark up.

To each his own. Between the SRT 8 Jeep and 300 I'd personally prefer the Jeep because I'm a truck/suv guy. Car and Driver managed to get 0-60 in 4.5 in the SRT 8 Jeep. :eek: I'll keep my Escalade over either.

The SRT 8 Jeep has got to be a street sleeper. No 4 wheel drive..right?

Lord Cadillac
01-27-06, 04:13 PM
I love the exterior of the Chrysler 300 Series but once you look inside, it's like a different car. It looks like an expensive vehicle on the outside and then really cheap on the inside. If Chrysler were to add nice woodgrain, at least as an option, I bet it would sell a lot more...

Rolex
01-27-06, 10:02 PM
The SRT 8 Jeep has got to be a street sleeper. No 4 wheel drive..right?

All the SRT 8 Jeeps are full time AWD. They guarantee sub 5 second 0-60 times even on wet pavement. IIRC the distribution under normal driving is 90/10. THe reason this thing posts such good 0-60 times is because of the AWD and lack of wheelspin. AWD vehicles just launch well.

RobertCTS
01-28-06, 07:56 AM
More than you need to know on the SRT 8 Jeep

http://www.fast-autos.net/jeep/jeepsrt8.html

Rolex
01-28-06, 12:28 PM
More than you need to know on the SRT 8 Jeep

http://www.fast-autos.net/jeep/jeepsrt8.html

I've read that over already. Notice how they convienently omit the MPG??? :rolleyes: I would too if I were trying to sell you an SUV that got only 11mpg. :shhh:

RobertCTS
01-28-06, 02:04 PM
I've read that over already. Notice how they convienently omit the MPG??? :rolleyes: I would too if I were trying to sell you an SUV that got only 11mpg. :shhh:

Rolex,
It's the price you pay to be the fastest. At $45,000 you can afford the gas I guess.

Katshot
01-28-06, 06:49 PM
Ya know, I was originally having second thoughts about the Jeep due to it's fuel economy but then I realized that my wife's Aviator only gets 13mpg so what the hell. Isn't all that extra power worth a couple mpg? Hell yeah!!!

Eric Kahn
01-28-06, 08:12 PM
I test drove a Hemi charger (not srt 8) and is was a great car with lots of room (I am 6'6", 400 Pounds) and good power.

Deuuuce
03-04-06, 04:17 AM

Luckily for CTS-V and SRT-8 owners, there has never been a low-mid 13sec car that has ever depreciated poorly. But the Escalades are just so ghetto. But it is a great tow vehicle with luxury features.