: how much can our differential take???

ochaole
01-25-06, 02:18 PM
im still hesitant on slapping on the maggie due to the differentials we have and how much can they take...

i read an earlier post that said they can take 500hp....i guess my main concern is that to the crank, the differential, or actual RWHP..???

anybody know a definitive answer?????

Joey'sVee
01-25-06, 02:41 PM
They are failing in the regular CTS so how much HP do they have?

obzidian
01-25-06, 02:46 PM
210hp for the 2.8 i believe.... :)

It wont take much more than what you are currently throwing at it. I was considereing adding a large oil-cooler to the diff which should help keep the temps down. IT should help out with the durability..but for how long, i dont know?

good question and one i believe will unfortunately lead you to an aftermarket unit.

Seattle CTS-V
01-25-06, 02:52 PM
I'm throwing on the Maggie anyway. I've got a good dealership and if the diff blows, the diff blows.

lasstss
01-25-06, 03:21 PM
I'm throwing on the Maggie anyway. I've got a good dealership and if the diff blows, the diff blows.

Stay away from major wheel hop out of first and dont 'bang' shift second.
The diff will last. It can handle brisk shifts. It does not like 'impact' loading.
and that folks , is my take.:tisk:

heavymetals
01-25-06, 03:39 PM

Thats the ticket.

It does not matter to the differential wether you put on a maggie or not.

What will matter is how you load/drive the thing.

I have done some research and the maggied V's have less of a repeat "failure" of the diff then the N/A's. Maybe driving style has something to do with it.
(I am not inviting a flame here either).

Also, if the maggied V's were causing rears to fail you can bet you would have heard by now.

Irregardless, at least a "fix" is being persued by some die hard hot rodders and if the diff is a concern, you will probably be able to buy an improved version.

Your gonna love it..:cloud9:

obzidian
01-25-06, 04:17 PM
yeah, that idea seems to be quite strong enough to handle a nuclear blast....

austin
01-25-06, 04:34 PM
IMO... The "V's" differential can take alot of H.P. ....What it cannot take, is the vibration and movement caused by wheel hop, and the front pinion bushing bottoming out under load. Once these issues are under control, it should hold up as advertised.

I hate to keep saying this..... Why the heck hasn't someone come up with a nice, stealth black, eurathane bushng set for the three differential mounting points. It would be so easy to machine by a capable shop...... All they would half to do is order the three factory bushings, and copy them into black eurathane.

CRZY747
01-25-06, 05:06 PM
As much as you can give it till it breaks. It really depends on driving style and if you plan on launching the car, drag radials ect. Way to many variables to say, from one to the next. I can say you will break it eventually if you have a lot of wheel hop and stay in it while it is doing this, and or doing a ton of launching on the rear end seems to help it self destruct.

lasstss
01-25-06, 05:51 PM
IMO... The "V's" differential can take alot of H.P. ....What it cannot take, is the vibration and movement caused by wheel hop, and the front pinion bushing bottoming out under load. Once these issues are under control, it should hold up as advertised.

I hate to keep saying this..... Why the heck hasn't someone come up with a nice, stealth black, eurathane bushng set for the three differential mounting points. It would be so easy to machine by a capable shop...... All they would half to do is order the three factory bushings, and copy them into black eurathane.

I contacted 4 bushing manufactures. None replied. If you dont want to buy 10,000 they dont want to talk to you. I have asked the Aussies to come up with a full urethane kit. Cradle included. 80 durometer solid would be perfect.

Geno
01-25-06, 06:27 PM
Stay away from major wheel hop out of first and dont 'bang' shift second.
The diff will last. It can handle brisk shifts. It does not like 'impact' loading.
and that folks , is my take.:tisk:

lasstss hit it on the head. Stay away from dropping the hammer and the rear diff should hold up, assuming you don't have a lemon. I have 6000 briskly driven miles on my maggied LS6 and nary a leak or whine. By the way, I got 540 hp at the flywheel assuming the delta between my original totally stock LS6 dyno pull and the advertised 400 hp are the same as my 470hp dyno numbers after the maggie install and subsequent tunes.

As an aside (I'm adding this for the sake of GNSCOTT), if you want to drag race the car buy a GTO:D .

obzidian
01-25-06, 06:28 PM
now that is a good idea....

i have been thinking about bushings for the driveshaft as well....and the rear trailing arms.....maybe a harden rubber like the ones found in the 1le packages for the f-bodies.

austin
01-25-06, 09:53 PM
>I have asked the Aussies to come up with a full urethane kit. Cradle included. 80 durometer solid would be perfect.

What was their reply? I hope they would be up for offering them seperatly as well. Their is no way i would ever remove or replace the specter bushings, no way!! :)