Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  AustinV 
#1 ·
The tires arrived today. I'm having them installed at 2:30. Assuming there is no significant rubbing on the front, I will keep them on. I'll take some pictures and post later for those that are interested.

#7 ·
UPDATE:

I am totally surprised here. On another thread I had about this, someone posted that the RE050 Extended Mobility tire looked narrow based on the specs. Sure enough - the 265/40/18 looks to be only a hair wider than the the stock 245/45/18 (it is probably 1/2 inch wider overall). There is no rubbing with the car sitting still and turning the wheels lock to lock.

Something interesting I learned about this particular model of RE050. The local Bridgestone tire shop did not know this. I had to call Mercedes, spoke with Tire Rack several times, and had a buddy at Discount Tire hook me up. The version of the RE050 I went with is listed below:

(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050&partnum=64YR8RE050MOE&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0)

Technically this tire is not a "runflat". I was told that it did not get the "runflat" designation because it did not meet the minimum requirements for a "runflat". HOWEVER, it is designed to be driven 15-20 miles on zero pressure at 50 mph. Apparently, Mercedes wanted a tire that provided some extended mobility in the event of a flat, but did not want to impede on comfort with a super stiff runflat sidewall.

The ride was noticeably quieter on the way back to the office. I'll update on performance once the tires have been broken in. For those of you wanting to stick with a runflat(like) tire I think this may be an excellent alternative and it's a bit cheaper than the stock setup.

I do have pictures and will post them later.

#15 ·
Dreamin said:
Have you had a chance to drive them really hard yet? Any rubbing in front?
Um...Yes...I couldn't help myself today driving down a twisty road and I had to take a few 90 degree turns extra hard just for the fun of it. I am impressed with the grip these tires have cornering and in high speed lane changing. I took them up to 120 today and they felt very smooth and solid. They are running at about 38 psi hot - this may be a little high, but the ride is not too rough.

I have not seen or felt any signs of rubbing. I will tell you that we tested the fronts yesterday on the ground (without the car moving). With the wheels turned all the way to the left or right we noticed one area that might rub. The tires were very close to the brake cooling vents when turned inside without any extra load on the suspension. The tech and I agreed that under severe cornering the tire "might" rub in this area, but I doubt it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.