: Cadillac Spring Rates?

N0DIH
01-25-06, 10:41 AM
I just found out, based on some info that Navy Lifer posted on one of the Impala SS boards that the FE2 V4P car (not sure if regular FE2 has) uses the same spring rate as the Impala SS, only it is taller.

No info yet on the rear. Does anyone have spring rate info based on the SPID ?

Does Bill lurk here often?

Thanks!!

BCs71
01-25-06, 12:44 PM
From what I've read the standard FW springs are kinda mushy and work in conjunction with the air ride shocks to keep the rear end afloat.

So removal of the air ride shocks would allow the rear end to sit very low since the springs weren't made to hold up the rear end by itself. I haven't checked this out myself.

But very soon I will add stock Impala SS springs on all four corners. Not sure what I'm going to do with the shock situation quite yet.

N0DIH
01-25-06, 01:08 PM
After driving in my mom's 97 Deville, it makes my 94 FW ride like more like my K1500 Suburban! It is WAY different. I like mine, I don't like that much road feel disconnect. I am assuming the FE1 cars were more like that. My mom's is also FE1 (aka, the mush mush put me to sleep riding suspension...) Although it is nice at times, I like mine better.

The V4P is rated 840 lbs tonque weight, and there is notes that if you have problems with the level ride running too much, to disable it. So I am guessing they are margianlly stiffer there. w/o air in my shocks, the car sits and rides nicely level. It doesn't run much, but there is at least 20-25 psi air in the shocks most of the time, which I think is pretty much min recommended.

Katshot
01-25-06, 01:43 PM
First of all, spring rate has nothing to do with how the car sits. The "rate" corresponds to the spring's compressability. So just because two applications share the same spring rate doesn't men they will have even similar trim height or or ride quality.
And as for the air shocks and their relationship to the trim height, if you remove the shocks and the car sits lower in any way, you need springs plain and simple. The ELC system is only supposed to carry "temporary" loads due to passenger and cargo loads. They are NOT intended to be a permanent load bearing component.

caddycruiser
01-25-06, 02:01 PM
After driving in my mom's 97 Deville, it makes my 94 FW ride like more like my K1500 Suburban! It is WAY different. I like mine, I don't like that much road feel disconnect. I am assuming the FE1 cars were more like that. My mom's is also FE1 (aka, the mush mush put me to sleep riding suspension...) Although it is nice at times, I like mine better.

The V4P is rated 840 lbs tonque weight, and there is notes that if you have problems with the level ride running too much, to disable it. So I am guessing they are margianlly stiffer there. w/o air in my shocks, the car sits and rides nicely level. It doesn't run much, but there is at least 20-25 psi air in the shocks most of the time, which I think is pretty much min recommended.

Yeah, you're "mush mush" description is a pretty accurate read of what an FE1 car feels like--at least on our one Fleetwood. Still don't know why exactly, but I swear my '95 with a little more miles is tighter and more controlled than the '93, but still not exactly firm--still gives the overall Titanic feel over bumps, just doesn't make you seasick. I *think* mine might have newer shocks, but I really don't know for sure. Either that, or I'm just imagining things...but I don't think I am.

But like Katshot said, the actual spring rates themselves don't have much to do with the height--just how it performs. If you removed the air ride (which I too, consider a LOT), it should still sit as normal on the stock coils--if there's sag, the springs were worn out beforehand.

Though I thought before I really would like the firmer feel something like SS springs would give, the more controlled but still soft feel of my '95 has made me reconsider. I would LOVE to ride in an FE2 Fleetwood though...I'd assume it'd be a lot like our Roadmaster, but there still would be some difference.

N0DIH
01-26-06, 01:10 AM
I'll dig up what Bill posted there, but there are (for front) 4 springs with the 77nm spring rate, each having a different ride height. The Impala SS lowest, and mine, the TP's, having the tallest.

If I read that right, I can swap in the Impala SS springs and not even notice the change except for the car will sit lower, right?
I hope to find the rear rates, mine wasn't posted there.

...Though I thought before I really would like the firmer feel something like SS springs would give, the more controlled but still soft feel of my '95 has made me reconsider. I would LOVE to ride in an FE2 Fleetwood though...I'd assume it'd be a lot like our Roadmaster, but there still would be some difference.

Look at your RM, there is on the SPID, 4 codes that start with numbers, 6, 7, 8 and 9. Those are the springs. Look for them like on my SPID, 6TP, 7TP, 8HF, 9HF. If you have the 6TP and 7TP, you will know what the ride is likely to be like. Just a bit more weight in it. I added the 9C1 Gabriel Ultra shocks, and are amazingly pleased with them. First shock I have ever liked.