: Super Sunday in the Motor City

noahsdad
01-24-06, 10:30 PM
Just some passing thoughts from a Michigan boy who remembers when Detroit really was a great city.

When you all watch the Super Bowl on Feb 5, pay special attention to the press coverage. I'd bet the commentators will be kind but sympathetic to Detroit. Honestly, from the blimp and from the tower cameras at Ford Field, the downtown skyline will actually look pretty good; but friends, in reality it's like Dresden after the 8th Air Force got done with it in 1945. There are so many scary places it makes me nervous driving down there in broad daylight. Few people with brains will dare make the trek after sunset.

The sad thing is, it wasn't that long ago this place was humming with commerce and progress. Lots of promise, great neighborhoods, culture, excitement. So many of my friends grew up there in the 60s and 70s, and could not wait to get out. Most of them go back these days only out of necessity.

If you get a minute, and are interested, you can get a sense for the real Detroit at this site: http://www.forgottendetroit.com

Of special note is the Michigan Central Railway Station, near the old Tiger Stadium. Once a spectacularly elegant building with columns and Romanesque arches, it's now just one gigantic crack house.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-24-06, 10:40 PM
Ohh thats a very interesting site, I've seen that a long time ago

Elvis
01-25-06, 12:50 PM
My mother grew up in Wyandotte, we'd visit once a year. Grandma made me a Tigers fan.

The "Fabulous ruins of Detroit" website is really sad too.

http://detroityes.com/home.htm

I've had it bookmarked for a few years now. I'd love to go in there and save a bunch of those old buildings, but for who? Nobody cares, and the expression "if you build it, they will come" is a damn lie.

addison_ii
01-25-06, 06:27 PM
While I'm not from the D, I'm from close enough to care(Saginaw). But, sadly current leadership doesn't care to bring Detroit back to the esteem it once had. But, on a good note, I will be cheering for the Steelers and hometown boy:The Bus a.k.a. Jerome Bettis as they take on Seattle. It's going to be a great game.

Adam
01-25-06, 06:39 PM
While I'm not from the D, I'm from close enough to care(Saginaw). But, sadly current leadership doesn't care to bring Detroit back to the esteem it once had. But, on a good note, I will be cheering for the Steelers and hometown boy:The Bus a.k.a. Jerome Bettis as they take on Seattle. It's going to be a great game.

i got a cousin who lives in Saginaw. i lived in Flint, Detroit, & Port Huron. i remember some of those buildings like the Book Cadillac and all them. most of my family is still in Flint or Detroit. i too will be going for the Steelers cause well Bettis deserves one and so does Cowher. and i like the Steelers.

ElDawgg 2G
01-25-06, 07:44 PM
Hello...

Yea, Michigan is a great place to be FROM! (lol)
I moved away years ago...
It's really sad what happened to Flint (my hometown) after GM pulled out.
Detroit has had a bad rap for quite some time...something I don't think it will ever overcome.
I never was a fan.
Bad roads, (IMO) rude residents, and racial tension are reasons to avoid Detroit.
Detroit looks better from Windsor, Canada (strong domestic beer and totally nude strippers!)

Adam
01-25-06, 09:58 PM
Hello...

Yea, Michigan is a great place to be FROM! (lol)
I moved away years ago...
It's really sad what happened to Flint (my hometown) after GM pulled out.
Detroit has had a bad rap for quite some time...something I don't think it will ever overcome.
I never was a fan.
Bad roads, (IMO) rude residents, and racial tension are reasons to avoid Detroit.
Detroit looks better from Windsor, Canada (strong domestic beer and totally nude strippers!)

Flint too?!?!?! thats freakin awesome.:highfive: my grandpa moved up there in the 50s to work for GM. my uncles and dad worked for GM... then we moved down south... well first to Detroit then to Port Huron... then to K-town.

Caddy Man
01-26-06, 12:59 AM
Detroit isnt as bad as some of you are making it out to be. Yea sure we have our nasty parts, but they have cleaned up downtown a lot. (belive me I live about 2 minutes from downtown).

Detroit was a great city, we had some 2 million people in 1950, and now a meager 900,000 (for being a big city). Unfortunatly, racism was the cause of the demise of Detroit I feel. After the race riots in the 60s, its never been the same. WE ARE THE MOST SEGREGATED METROPOLITAN AREA IN THE US. Urban sprawl has screwed detroit over. All the white people move out to the suburbs, and now no one cares about detroit. People dont seem to care what happens to the city. In other metro areas, the main city, is everyones ''home'' even if they dont live there, go to the suburbs of chicago, and people still care about the city. Here, people will say ''oh why should I care, I live in Ferndale, or I live in Bloomfield.'' People alienate themselves from detroit. Unfortunately, Detroit also never really developed a real economy, we just depended on cars and car part suppliers and now things are not going well at all in the American car industry. People can throw out all the stats they want, but the auto industry here is going down the drain. The superbowl will be great, and thus far has revived a whole new interest in the city of Detroit, I am seeing MANY improvements all the time around here. Hopefully we can regain some glory we once had. Thats my 2 cents.

Pjazz
01-26-06, 01:59 AM
This is on of my first post on this site. Iv'e been lurking because I sold my 96 sts years ago and have been contemplating getting a 2003 STS.

I actually live in the City and am sadened to see someone who's from Michigan spread half truths and missinfomation. Detroit is like most older urban citys. It has many older buildings that have been neglected and it has crime like any other urban city . There are nice communities within the city and there are bad ones like any other city . I have no fear walking though my neighborhood or driving though the city.

There has been millions of dollars being invested in Detroit even before the super bowl hipe. Just a few buildings that have or are in the process of being renovated are Detroit Opera house, Institute of arts, Fox Theater, Book Cadillac Hotel, The New ymca downtown, and I'm just scratching the surface. From lofts downtown to new housing developemnts city wide we're coming back. The only problem is ignorant threads started by people who are to afraid too actually see whats going on. Rant off.