: Grabby brakes when cold?

eldorado99
01-24-06, 09:36 PM
I've noticed that when I just start my '70 SDV that the brakes seem to be grabby for about 5 minutes after starting it up. It seems to go away after a while and then the brakes are perfectly fine. It's kind of annoying when you are backing out of the driveway and you hop like a bunny just trying to see if anyone is coming before you back onto the road :o. I wouldn't mind fixing this before the Caddy goes back on the road next week to get the windshields resealed at a shop :). Anyone know what is wrong with it?:confused:

N0DIH
01-24-06, 10:16 PM
Sounds like mine does in high moisture environments getting some surface rust. Or there is some dust or other contamination on the shoes/pads. They get grabby when cold and first started. Make sure the rear uses ORGANIC shoes, not semi metallic. Autozone has a note that the pre 77 cars use only Organic shoe linings. That might be part of it. I never had the problem of that until they started putting semi metallics on the rear in the aftermarket.

eldorado99
01-24-06, 11:08 PM
Hmm... It is quite possible that the rears are not organic, I havn't looked closely at the rears since I got the car, but it looks like its time to pull off the drum and get a good look. Thanks!

N0DIH
01-24-06, 11:13 PM
It is something the local Autozone said, that for several years now they started putting semi metallic material on everything and pull back on the organic material. Cost cutting.

The shoes are darker in color now, the old ones were much lighter years ago.