: Quick info needed on a 96 Fleetwood

1310monster
01-24-06, 08:50 PM
I've finally found what I think is a 1996 LT1 Fleetwood close to home. It's my understanding that all 94-96 fleetwoods used the LT1, not just the generic 5.7. Right? Was traction control standard? If not, how do I tell if it has it or not? This one is a Brougham. No moonroof. Gold with tan leather. $3500 pre negotiation price. Nice looking car.

Rocky

davesdeville
01-24-06, 10:02 PM
Nice price. Yes it's an LT1, traction control is standard on the 96s at least, unsure of other years.

N0DIH
01-24-06, 10:13 PM
Yes, TC is standard from 94-96. $3500 is a good price if in good shape.

The ABS/TC controller is expensive if broke, I priced it at the dealer today, as no rebuilts are available, $1700 is the going $. Owch.

Sounds like a twin to mine, check the SPID for options and post them, or look them up, there is a cadillac site with Cadillac RPO's.

V4P Towing Package
V4S Security Package (look for security light to flash when door is open)
FE1 Soft Ride Suspension
FE2 Firm Ride Suspension
V08 HD Cooling (has mech fan)
V03 Extra Capacity Cooling (larger fans)

Avoid R1P if you can, they are fleet/commercial service. They are often run hard in some cases.

They are good cars, quiet, reliable, one of the best Cadillac ever offered.

durrk
01-24-06, 10:27 PM
^^^ Hey, Can you tell me how I would find out about these codes on my 80' coupe deville?

caddycruiser
01-24-06, 10:36 PM
^^^ Hey, Can you tell me how I would find out about these codes on my 80' coupe deville?

Find your SPID label, and go from there. In the newer 90's models, at least, it was just a label on the underside of the trunklid. Not sure how they did it back in 1980, but someone here probably does.

caddycruiser
01-24-06, 10:38 PM
$3500 sounds VERY good for a '96--but at that price, it either has to have a ton of miles (not always a bad thing), or be quite worn out (loose/faded/cracked outside trim, torn seats and other interior materials, cracked dash, etc.)

Take it for a good drive and make sure to check out everything underneath, under the hood, etc. Just watch out for leaks (depending on how severe they are, it may or may not be a big deal), funny smelling or looking trans fluid, etc.

But like was said above, all of the '93+ models had ABS & traction control, and all the '94+ ones also had the higher performance LT1.

1310monster
01-24-06, 10:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the info guys! I've been looking at ebay and typing it 1996 fleetwood, 1997, 1998...etc. Was the 96 model the last year for Fleetwood?! Are there any other good Cadillac forums for the 94-96 Fleetwoods? I'm actually a 500 CI guy who's been researching for some time what kind of practical, late model Caddy I'd like to drive as an everyday car. I think the LT1 Fleetwoods are the way to go..at least for me.

Rocky

ShadowLvr400
01-24-06, 11:06 PM
96 was the end. And Traction control is on them all, but turning it off actually works and you keep your gears.

caddycruiser
01-24-06, 11:07 PM
Thanks a lot for the info guys! I've been looking at ebay and typing it 1996 fleetwood, 1997, 1998...etc. Was the 96 model the last year for Fleetwood?! Are there any other good Cadillac forums for the 94-96 Fleetwoods? I'm actually a 500 CI guy who's been researching for some time what kind of practical, late model Caddy I'd like to drive as an everyday car. I think the LT1 Fleetwoods are the way to go..at least for me.

Rocky

Yeah, they only made them '93-96, the last 3 years having the LT1, and the last 2 years getting little improvements like larger outside mirrors. There were never any past 1996.

As for other forums, this one is also TERRIFIC, and incorporates the Impala SS, Caprice, Roadmaster, Custom Cruiser, and Fleetwood:
http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php

Love it here, but I can find out a lot more on there sometimes too, since it's so focused on only these kinds of cars.

N0DIH
01-24-06, 11:17 PM
My LT1 felt like it had a lazy throttle when I got it, like I really had to step on it to make it go, light throttle application it hardly moved.

It was the throttle cables going into and out of the Traction Control "ASR" thingy by the master cyl. Simple adjustment and it has awesome throttle. Then I actually could get WOT. I took out a LOT of slack on it.

caddycruiser
01-24-06, 11:20 PM
My LT1 felt like it had a lazy throttle when I got it, like I really had to step on it to make it go, light throttle application it hardly moved.

It was the throttle cables going into and out of the Traction Control "ASR" thingy by the master cyl. Simple adjustment and it has awesome throttle. Then I actually could get WOT. I took out a LOT of slack on it.

Another good thing to know:thumbsup:

In fact, when I spoke to my father tonight he even asked me "Find out anything more about your car?", after I tried to skill him on the common issues with the newer LT1 cars, like the manifold bolts and such.

N0DIH
01-25-06, 01:24 AM
This is one of the most documented carlines of all time (B/D, aka, Caprice/Impala SS, Roadmaster and Fleetwood/Fleetwood Brougham).

Manifold bolt breakage, noisy valvetrain, wrong gasket on rear axle (is it "bad", well, mine went 170K miles with the OEM gasket/oil, and is fine), rear windows that won't roll down due to broken clips (be cautious, if they fall, they often break, I am going to replace my clips this summer to be safe), in my case, rear small windows show a little leakage in the inside that I have to seal up, Optispark failures (remember, this is a distributor that is abandoned, no cap or wire changes, often till they fail. Katshot said that his shop they replaced Opti's around 150K miles (153??), as that was determined to be the best time to do so, they fail sooner when the vent system is not working, look for worn steering components causing vaugue steering. My steering now is very close in feel and accuracy to my mom's 97 Deville. So yes, it can get that good. Alignment is imporant to the feel. I have a post out there with some alignment recommendations I have to update.

That is some little things. None are too major if you ask me. Most FWD cars will cost you much more to maintain than this car.

BCs71
01-25-06, 01:21 PM
Here's a great Fleetwood site also:
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb-tech.html