: Turbo Update

MARK99STS
01-24-06, 07:34 PM
Well the long awaited day came Friday when we fired it up for the first time with everything hooked up. We worked on it all weekend doing some major tunning and minor tweaks here and there. We still have some minor tunning to do but, the turbo works and the car is runninng good:D
We have not done a WOT yet as we want to make sure all our fuel trims are good. It's still running rich so we need to pull some more fuel. We took it out today and did some data logging and hit 5lbs of boost for a short burst in 2nd gear and it pulls REAL hard. Freakin AWESOME!! When the turbo spools up and it makes boost, it sounds like a JET. I've got my slicks on it now and I got on it a little in first gear and it blew both tires off without even trying. Jim feels he may have to revise his estimate feeling how hard it is pulling. He now thinks it will do over 400HP at the wheels.
I've updated some more pics on my web site. I'll keep you updated on the tunning.
http://www.markonemtg.com/marks99sts/id3.html

96-deville-man
01-24-06, 07:59 PM
that aswome!! cant wait to see the dyno! and a few burnout pics.

eldorado1
01-24-06, 09:22 PM
I've got my slicks on it now and I got on it a little in first gear and it blew both tires off without even trying.

That instant off-the-line torque is characteristic of a small turbo.

AlBundy
01-24-06, 09:59 PM
Wow you guys are really doin it. The pictures are great. I hope you guys have video of the whole rebuild.

davesdeville
01-24-06, 10:23 PM
Indeed... at what rpm does it spool? At 5psi I wouldn't really expect it to, but does it seem to starve for air any at high rpm?

danbuc
01-24-06, 10:41 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!...This is excellent. I'll be expecting some video as soon as you get that car running in tip, top shape.

speedyman_2
01-25-06, 12:21 PM
This is awesome!! Way to go!! I want to see video!! I want to ride in it!! I want a kit on my car!! :D

MARK99STS
01-25-06, 02:34 PM
That instant off-the-line torque is characteristic of a small turbo.

This is a quote from Jim my tunner :

This 62:1 turbo is properly sized for a 4.6l motor, but the exhaust housing AR and exhaust impeller selection is the secret to making this turbo work right. The compressor map is a good foundation to start from, but you can maximize the potential of a given turbo by playing with impeller design and exhaust housing AR. When doing this, you will have a turbo that spools up quick, but does not go out of your desired boost range. As a generalization most turbo cars have torque numbers that come in at lower rpm and that is what we want as the N* has no low end torque and high end HP will be there with our turbo sizing.

eldorado1
01-25-06, 04:24 PM
This is a quote from Jim my tunner :

This 62:1 turbo is properly sized for a 4.6l motor, but the exhaust housing AR and exhaust impeller selection is the secret to making this turbo work right. The compressor map is a good foundation to start from, but you can maximize the potential of a given turbo by playing with impeller design and exhaust housing AR. When doing this, you will have a turbo that spools up quick, but does not go out of your desired boost range. As a generalization most turbo cars have torque numbers that come in at lower rpm and that is what we want as the N* has no low end torque and high end HP will be there with our turbo sizing.

Excellent. glad to hear he knows what he's talking about... I'd be interested in hearing the specifics of the turbo. Can't wait until you get it dyno'd...