: My Caddy Is at the Doctor's Today

Chuck C
03-12-03, 11:41 AM
Luckily all they need to replace is the fanbelt. Better yet is the fact that they just replaced it, so it is covered under warranty. How does one go about changing the belt? What are the steps? Is it difficult?
(possible archive thread material here, that's why I posted in the first place! :banana: )

Katshot
03-12-03, 01:44 PM
Takes all of about 30sec.

jadcock
03-12-03, 02:12 PM
It's pretty easy to do. I've done it twice on mine. Once to remove the old one and see that it wasn't bad, then once to go ahead and replace it for good insurance. :)

Twist the tensioner with a 1/2 drive ratchet and slip the belt off the PS pulley. Then you can easily remove it. The hardest part is getting it by the tensioner pulley. This will be obvious when you get there. To get the new one on, I start with the A/C pulley and the crank pulley. Get those on first. It may take a long tool (like a LONG screwdriver) to help you here. Snake it through the pullies like what's on the routing diagram under the hood. Finally, get it ready to go on the PS pulley, then twist the tensioner and slip it up onto the PS pulley.

The hardest part is making sure it's correctly aligned on each pulley. The other hard part is getting it back behind the tensioner pulley. Frustrating sometimes, but it'll go. It may be easier to remove the tensioner...just depends on your style. Leave yourself about 20 mins to go slow and careful.

After you have it installed, bump the starter a few times and check to make sure the belt looks like it's tracking okay. Then you can start the engine and call it done.

Chuck C
03-12-03, 06:33 PM
thanks for the description jason!

Q: which pulley corresponds to what?

AKPsiMC03
03-12-03, 06:35 PM
when ever i do a serpintine (sp?) belt i make sure i have someone to help me... one person hold the tentioner... the other slips the belt on everyhting.

Northstar32
03-19-03, 12:01 AM
Has anyone here replaced a timing belt on an STS before? If so, how labour intensive is it? and approx what Milage should it be done at?

jadcock
03-19-03, 09:47 AM
Ahh...the wonders of the Northstar engine. :)

There are no timing belts to replace. There are a series of three timing chains, which require no maintenance and are good, virtually, for the life of the engine.

Timing belts are found on inferior engines...not on Northstars. :)

Northstar32
03-19-03, 07:43 PM
Ahhh... thanks for the info Jason, big load off my back.