: P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance?

sprj
01-24-06, 04:18 AM
I have gotten this code :

"P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance"

twice in the last couple of days on my 97 SLS. The first time it was accompanied by :

"P1566 - Engine RPM Too High - Cruise Control Disabled"

Anybody have any suggestions on what is going on, i.e. corrective action and/or correlation between the two codes?

Thanks.
Jason

mcowden
01-24-06, 12:28 PM
I have gotten this code :

"P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance"

twice in the last couple of days on my 97 SLS. The first time it was accompanied by :

"P1566 - Engine RPM Too High - Cruise Control Disabled"

Anybody have any suggestions on what is going on, i.e. corrective action and/or correlation between the two codes?

Thanks.
Jason

Take a look in the Tech Tips section for a post about cleaning the EGR valve. It probably needs to be either cleaned or replaced. Any other codes?

sprj
02-04-06, 11:22 PM
Just those two codes the first time. I cleared them and the '0404' code has reappeared twice, so three times in the last month or so. I am out of town a lot though, so I don't necessarily drive everyday either...

sprj
02-04-06, 11:23 PM
Is the EGR valve very involved to change? I have looked it up and I see it costs a few bucks...

Ranger
02-04-06, 11:27 PM
It is much more difficult if you have had the fuel rail recall done.

mtflight
02-06-06, 05:59 PM
It's the metal bracket, on top of the EGR valve, that is attached to the fuel lines--that is a b!tc# to work with.

Davesdeville cut it off, and I just got a blister working around it.

I have the same code, cleaned it squeaky clean--and it has come back twice afterwards to haunt me--uncool. A new one is $140 with a steep discount.