: Found a trans and diff fix for mine!

bjohnso0
01-24-06, 02:09 AM
I put my car on stands this past Saturday to install my Magnaflow exhaust, and decided to drain the diff and trans while I had it in the air. I went with Lucas oil products in both diff and trans. I used 75W90 Lucas synthetic gear oil in the rear with a friction modifier and 1 quart of Lucas auto trans fix and the rest Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in the tranny. Major difference! Before this I had a whine in the trans in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears, gone now. I was getting irritated with the clunking in the rear on highway accel and decel, gone now too. The fluids in both didn't look too good when I drained them, surprising for 10K miles. The trans shifts alot smoother and I don't have problems at a stop going into reverse or 1st. I use Lucas products in everything I've ever owned (even in my Craftsman lawnmower) but I didn't expect that much of a difference. I don't know if the trans fix in the colder climates would work because the Lucas is pretty thick. By the way, the Magnaflow sounds awsome too!

verbs
01-24-06, 02:38 AM
interesting. Anyone know what weight rear end fluid is standard? I noticed going to an 85w140 oil in my Fbody reduced rear end whine in my 12 bolt over my 75w90.

Barak
01-24-06, 12:33 PM
I was getting irritated with the clunking in the rear on highway accel and decel, gone now too.

:suspect:

Ishminder
01-24-06, 12:59 PM
I talked to my dealership earlier about putting in different fluid and they said that they void warranty if you do that. They do not care what you use, if its anything other than what GM uses, they void warrenty. I would have done that so long ago otherwise.

wildwhl
01-24-06, 03:45 PM
Barak -

agreed.

The whine and smoothness I'll buy - but the fluid stopped the dreaded clunks? :nono:

urbanski
01-24-06, 03:52 PM
Barak -

agreed.

The whine and smoothness I'll buy - but the fluid stopped the dreaded clunks? :nono:
the fluid contains bushings!!

its magic fluid bushings!!

or ball bearings maybe. :cloud9:

ace996
01-24-06, 07:16 PM
it's all ball-bearings these days....
-ace

chiro444
01-24-06, 10:09 PM
That's what Fletch says at least...

Florian
01-24-06, 10:11 PM
wheres that 7th Fetzer valve???

F

CTSV05
01-24-06, 11:05 PM
I changed my syrup in our new diff at 4100 mi. The GM stuff is junk, it was black as coal, and smelled foul.

I used Lucas last time and went to it again, I got 14K out of the orig diff and I didn't baby it.

moldowan
01-25-06, 02:47 AM
Which friction modifier please!!!!!
Thanks,
-Moldy

urbanski
01-25-06, 07:46 AM
Which friction modifier please!!!!!
Thanks,
-Moldy
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/difflube/index.html
:)

One 4 oz. bottle of GM #1052358 Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive
Cavender has it, 7 bux. I'm sure a nearby chevy dealer will, too.
RedLine 75W90 already has it in there. You'd need 2 qts.

and for some shiners, i'll change yours for you dude :)

moldowan
01-25-06, 07:42 PM
sounds good urrby!!!
Lets do it this weekend, I just ordered a gtech pro meter should be here on friday. I want to see what i can get in the 1/4 with the V and the viper before i try thr track.
are you free this weekend???
-Moldy

bjohnso0
01-26-06, 04:25 PM
the fluid contains bushings!!

its magic fluid bushings!!

or ball bearings maybe. :cloud9:

Magic or not, no clunk no whine! 11K original diff and beat on it daily.

01-26-06, 05:28 PM
it's the audio-bushings in the Magnaflow exhaust note that made the other noises go away. Same audio-bushings are present in the volume knob, but the magnaflow can't be turned off.

bjohnso0
01-27-06, 01:55 PM
I'm not tone deaf. It's gone. I've been a mechanic for 13 years and specialize in trans and diff. I did trans and diff rebuilds for GM from '93 to '97. This is a problem that I've come across many times, the fluids that GM uses are crap. They use a fluid that thins considerably at temperature, it's the same basic fluid that they have used since I quit working for them in '97.