: City of Chicago says what?

01-23-06, 11:08 PM
So a month ago I got a parking ticket for my V for being in a snow zone at 3AM somewhere in Chicago. I wrote them a letter telling them it isn't possible and today they sent me a letter saying pay up because they don't believe me. What kind of BS is this?

Some background my V wouldn't be parking on a street in Chicago at 3AM ever let alone in a snow storm.

My V has never left the state of Iowa, actually hasn't been more than 50 miles from Ames.

The ticket says my V is a Lincoln, but it's not....

I've only been to Chicago twice in my life, once 5 years ago and once in a rental car. Never when the parking ticket got issued or even close to this.

I don't see how they send me such a ticket or how they call BS on my letter. What kind of BS is going on over there?

01-23-06, 11:15 PM
Just don't pay it.

01-23-06, 11:20 PM
Usually transposed numbers or letters. Get it straightened out. I had one of these dogs follow me for 3 years before it got sorted out. My plate on a car I didnt own. Impossible, but they can suspend your license if they have interstate cooperation.

01-23-06, 11:20 PM
That has cropped up here in Calif.

A number or letter is off and BINGO!

Pay the stupid thing under protest or supply them with all the information (wrong car, wrong person, wrong state) and it can be ironed out.

Someone needed to make quota and your "it".

01-23-06, 11:31 PM
I did send them a letter and told them that my V is a Caddy, not a Lincoln as listed on the ticket. Also that my V has never left Iowa. And a lot more. The letter today was saying that my claims were denied. My plates would be tough to transpose since they are personalized plates. I guess they could have gotten the state wrong....

01-23-06, 11:36 PM
Well I guess you did all you could.

What a DRAG.

Your probably right, plate was for different car.

You might ask them to pull the plate up for both states.

01-24-06, 09:11 AM
My advice is do not let the ticket go unpaid. Now that means don't simply ignore it because they are wrong, that would be a mistake and end up getting you a warrant issued for an unpaid violation, and believe me it will come back to haunt you at the worst possible time, just ask Michael Irvin ;)

Continue to track down where their problem is. Ask them for an extention based on the fact you believe/know this is a mistake and want to get it resolved. Don't be an ass in the process, it will only serve to make the outcome harder to achieve. That plate may be registered to a lincoln in another state, but that's not your current address, or the address / state your plate is registered to. Like someone else suggested, ask them to run your plate for your state and see that it is indeed registered to your car, VIN, and current address. That should help convince them there was some error on their part, be it the officer or data entry. If all else fails, tell them you want it to go in front of the judge and present him with your evidence AND the fact you attempted to get it resolved before coming to his court but law enforcement didn't assist you well before reaching that point.

01-24-06, 06:23 PM
www.motorists.org (http://www.motorists.org)

I would suggest looking in their legal help section. There may be traffic lawyers local to Chicago. Even if you're not a member, the NMA looks to help the motorist and may be able to steer you in the right direction to fight this.

50 4Ever
01-24-06, 06:33 PM
I bet it was a transposition error, "IA" was really "IL". And I agree with you that "BLING" would be hard to transpose. Hope you can resolve the matter.