: Looking for a good wax....

austin
01-23-06, 11:51 PM
So many brands..... Just curious if their is a board favorite here on the forum. What do you guys recomend..... and why. Thanks..

JRoller
01-24-06, 12:02 AM
Zaino. Seriously. Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle. All great stuff. I have them all, and us them all from time to time. But when it's really time to put on wax, the Zaino system will give you what you're looking for.

homer403
01-24-06, 12:05 AM
I have used both Zaino ($50 plus) and REJEX ($17) ... you love both.

heavymetals
01-24-06, 12:23 AM
ZYMOL:thumbsup:

But whatever you use make sure it is pure wax with no polishers.:mad:

stkshkr
01-24-06, 12:25 AM
Zaino Zaino Zaino especially if it's black

Closer_2001
01-24-06, 12:29 AM
So many brands..... Just curious if their is a board favorite here on the forum. What do you guys recomend..... and why. Thanks..

I am a Zaino convert after months of resisting back in 2001. It is THAT good :cool2:

Black cars love it.

The new Fusion product is a great surface prep / swirl remover.

I have religiously polished all with Zaino:
Black 01 C5, Black Z06, Raven CTS-V.

Despite general whining about too many steps, it is really easy to work with. Much easier than Meguiars, et al which I have used over the years.

Also - Rejex is terrible as a protectant. It made brake dust stick to my wheels. I would NOT recommend it. Zaino is much better.

Vegas V
01-24-06, 01:38 PM
Do a search for Auto Glim, it is a European Wax, made for Ferraris, Lambos, Aston Martins, and all exotic cars, I've used this wax for the last year and absolutely love it, it is simple to use, no residue, I mean is great, and you can follow with a coat of Meguirres yellow wax, and the shine is unreal, it is quite expensive, I believe it's about $40.00 per bottle, in my opinion well worth it, I have used Zaino in the past and I have to agree that it is one of the best car care products out there, but for me the Auto Glim is the best.

ctsvett
01-24-06, 02:53 PM
First, I will say that I use Zaino.. Its great stuff and protects very well..

However, it is time consuming to apply... So for other cars (my girlfriend's car, parents car, etc) I use Meguires NXT Tech wax... Has very similar protection properties, but is MUCH easier to apply. Shine is not as good as zaino, but again, much easier to apply.

DONT FORGET to clay bar the car before you wax it. This is by the far most important step in my mind. The weekend I got my car (it had been detailed by the dealer), I stripped their wax and calybar'ed the car. You'd be amazed at the crap that came off.. It was really bad. Could have been rail dust, but the clay bar took it right off.

Summary:
Clay bar first (mothers, or zaino brand clay, doesnt matter)
Zaino if you want the shine and have the time
Meguires NXT Tech Wax if you dont want to spend all day on it.

This is just MY opinion. Asking someone their wax preference is like asking them what type of women they like. Everyone will give you a different answer.

Reed

ctsvett
01-24-06, 02:54 PM
I will add that I use Rejex on the front and rear bumpers (and doorjams, rocker panels, anywhere else that has paint) because I dont so much care about shine, but I want the bugs/crap to come right off... Has worked very well for me...

Reed

50 4Ever
01-24-06, 03:00 PM
I have used both Zaino ($50 plus) and REJEX ($17) ... you love both.

I used to use Zaino products but have switched to Rejex because of ease of application. Zaino has several different products that are designed to be used in conjunction with each other. Rejex is just one. I put it on one evening in the garage and let it set overnight. Then wipe it off in the morning. Whichever product you decide to use, clean the paint surface with a claybar first. You'll be amazed at the results.

austin
01-24-06, 03:01 PM
>Zaino Zaino Zaino especially if it's black.

It is black..... Zaino..... OK..... Where i can get it? Thanks. :)

rand49er
01-24-06, 03:07 PM
Almost precisely one year ago today, I started nearly the identical thread regarding what exterior protection everybody used. Holy cow, I got "Zaino, Zaino, Zaino ..." So, I got some, and I do like it. I just wish there was something that had all the desirable attributes such as ease of application, protects like armor, and bugs and tar just bounce off ... oh well :mad2: .

AmesCTS-V
01-24-06, 04:00 PM
Zaino, it's worth the time. www.zainobros.com

Davidstan
01-24-06, 04:50 PM
I am a Zaino convert after months of resisting back in 2001. It is THAT good :cool2:

Black cars love it.

The new Fusion product is a great surface prep / swirl remover.

I have religiously polished all with Zaino:
Black 01 C5, Black Z06, Raven CTS-V.

Despite general whining about too many steps, it is really easy to work with. Much easier than Meguiars, et al which I have used over the years.

Also - Rejex is terrible as a protectant. It made brake dust stick to my wheels. I would NOT recommend it. Zaino is much better.

Which Zaino do you use for Black and would you use it if the car is only 3 months old???

Harley Guy
01-24-06, 04:53 PM
Zainos... no questions asked. I also don't get all the comments about difficult or lengthy application. The first time you use it is somewhat time consuming mostly due to claying the car. However, once you have the Zainos on all other applications are quicker than anything else I have ever used.

grandsport5
01-24-06, 07:14 PM
I put Zaino on my black V the day I brought it home. Wow, what a difference. Yes, it is more work than a wax, but it stays on and touch ups with the Z6 make it look like the paint is a mile deep in minutes.

I started by washing the car in Dawn dish detergent. Dawn is the best for making sure the old waxes and polishes are removed. Next, I used the clay bar to make sure there was nothing on the paint at all and then washed it again with Dawn.

For the first coat, I used accelerated Z2. I wiped it over the entire car and then removed it with a soft cloth. Since I still had enough to do the car again, I did. Next, I put on a coat of Z5 and removed that with a soft cloth. Finally, a quick spritz of Z6 to remove all the dust.

When I backed it out into the sun 2 hours after I started, it blinded me. Oh, the two hours included the door jambs and wheels too.

It wasn't cheap, about $60. It did take a while, 2 hours, but I've spent much more time trying to get the dried wax off of other vehicles. It wasn't hard as the products in essense wipe on and wipe off, you don't wear out your arm putting it on.

The bonus is that after you wash your baby, take out the bottle of Z6, give it a quick spritz and a wipe and it looks just like it did the day you put it on the first time. It will last that way for over a year and dozens of washes if you use a car wash instead of a detergent to wash you car.

I swear by it.

thebigjimsho
01-24-06, 07:51 PM
I don't doubt that Zaino is all that. Way too many happy Zaino users here to ignore. But this apply Z this then spritz on Z that and wipe off using Z X is not my cup of tea.

You want a great protectant that is durable, easy to apply and remove and gives you a brand new finish? I use Griot's Garage products and my black V with 30,000 miles looks brand new. No funky names and processes that you have to write down to remember.

Just wash.
Clay bar.
Polish if you need to(they have 3 grit levels of polish).
Wax with Best of Show wax(liquid wax).
Plus, they have a great guidebook that will easily explain everything you need to know about detailing.

I'm a stickler for keeping my cars perfect. I have a black '04 Town Car for work and I must use machine carwashes. And with all the city driving, I've managed to keep the car generally ding free and looking brand new with the Griot's Garage products.

Ziplicon Tuesday
01-24-06, 09:56 PM
Do you guys find Z-6 helps remove swirls in the paint after washing? Mine's black with 3000 miles too. I did the full Zano process - liked it but after two months I seem to get swirls after washing each time. So I apply Z6 and it shines but doesn't seem to do much for the swirls. Mother's show car shine seems to do much better.....is this bad for the Zano?

GT04CTS-V
01-24-06, 10:03 PM
I put three coats of Zaino Z5, then followed up with a coat of Z2. Man - This system works really well on Black cars. No swirl marks nuthing but deep rich shine.

GT

verbs
01-24-06, 11:07 PM
zaino.

kjr39
01-24-06, 11:09 PM
I do believe I'll be placing an order for Zaino.... Stuff sounds like a Godsend.

I hate spiderwebs in black paint.

Novi
01-25-06, 02:36 AM
Zaino, is by far the best polish on the market.

Ziplicon Tuesday
01-25-06, 01:24 PM
So the Zano may take the swrils out (most anyway) but it's a full day commitment to wash and go through all the steps - even with the accelerant. It's great but the question is what the hell keeps the swrils coming back? I mean I get them just by thinking about it. Is it from drying the car after washing? I use 100% cotton towels to dry it.

I still think Mothers show car shine is a better after-wash polish (or whatever) than Z-6.

50 4Ever
01-25-06, 02:08 PM
So the Zano may take the swrils out (most anyway) but it's a full day commitment to wash and go through all the steps - even with the accelerant. It's great but the question is what the hell keeps the swrils coming back? I mean I get them just by thinking about it. Is it from drying the car after washing? I use 100% cotton towels to dry it.

I still think Mothers show car shine is a better after-wash polish (or whatever) than Z-6.

I don't have any swirl marks unless I take it to the dealer and they forget and wash the car.:tisk:

I use Maguiers Gold Class soap and two mits, one for painted surfaces and one for the wheels. If you happen to wash a painted surface with the same mit as you use for the wheels the brake dust will cause swirl marks. After washing I use a California Water Blade (http://www.autosupermart.com/store/shop/ca00001.html?mv_pc=ovwaterblade&OVRAW=california%20water%20blade&OVKEY=california%20water%20blade&OVMTC=standard) to remove most of the water. Then I finish up with two towels.

This seems to work for me:thumbsup:

Davidstan
01-25-06, 02:18 PM
I have some spider webs on my Black 06 but kinda expected that but wanted to avoid the self made swirls. What is the best matierial to use on black to wash and then to dry it? Sorry to get off topic somewhat.

thebigjimsho
01-25-06, 04:15 PM
The best way to wash is by using a boar's hair brush with plenty of water. Microfiber towels are best with 100% cotton towels not far behind when drying. Just make sure that the threads on those towels aren't polyester.

Ziplicon Tuesday
01-25-06, 07:07 PM
California water blade? I've seen them but do they work and don't mess the paint?

3rdstreet
01-25-06, 07:38 PM
Zaino, it's worth the time. www.zainobros.com (http://www.zainobros.com)

Just ordered mine...thanks for the link.

ctsvett
01-25-06, 09:11 PM
I use the california water blade.. It makes drying the car SO much easier.. You just need to make sure that the blade itslef is clean and the car is clean (not dirt) when you use it.

I do use 100% made in the USA towels after that...

So what, I cheat a little! I dont have a black car!

Reed

riverrat
01-25-06, 10:43 PM
If you want to try something different Adam's polishes is getting great reviews on some other forums. Check their web site for more info, looks like a complete line up with lots of how-to demos.

Ziplicon Tuesday
01-26-06, 02:10 PM
So ctsvett - are you saying the water blade would tend to not be good for black?
Also, hate to sound stupid, but are you guys using like "new" towels to dry? Meaning 100% cotton (yet rather used) towels leave swrils? Sheesh, 3rd black car in a row, all of'em well cared for but never so easily swriled. I'm wondering if it's the Zano high gloss that's actually getting swrils as oppoed to the paint.

ctsvett
01-26-06, 04:05 PM
Black is more inclined to be scratched... I would try it in a corner a few times before you use it on the whole car.

I spoke with Sal Zaino (mr zaino) one time about the california water blade. He said that despite being a soft silicone compound, there is the possibility that if particles of dirt were not removed during the washing process they could be dragged across the paint by the water blade causing micro scratches... Now, I clean the car really good, but I have silver so even IF this was causing very small microscratches it would be hard to see on my car (but I cant see any scratches). If you have black, I would try it first before you do the whole car. The water blade is great because it reduces the time and towels you need to dry the car. It's a shortcut. I was the car almost every week (a bit less now a days), so I dont want it to take 2 hours every time.
My procedure for anyone who cares is (always in the shade):

1. Wheels with simple green and pressure washer
2. Rinse with lower power Pressure washer (not closer than 1 foot)
3. Soap front/rear bumper and skirts with one wash mit
4. Soap rest of car with different wash mit
5. Resoap entire car qucikly with 2nd wash mit
6. Rinse in low power pressure washer
7. Water blade the flat spots (gotta love the art&science)
8. Towel remaining areas
9. Use crafstman shop vac blower to blow out every crevace on the car (there are lots)
10. Dry door jams/ trunk/ hood (wipe down engine drips too)
11. Windows (I use clay bar on the windows- IT WORKS GREAT!)
12. Interior (I rub the interior down with AutoGLYM interior cleaner and a microfiber towel) Autglym is great cause there are not protectants, just cleaners (and it smells nice)
13. Once every few months I will use the Spray zaino (to maintain the protection powers of the zaino)

It usually takes me about an hour to do this (I am quick).

This is for the VERY picky people. Yes, I went out few years ago and bought 100% made in the USA towels (from macys' I think) that were on sale for use ONLY on the car. If you read the "zaino method" he explains why you should do this. You dont have to, and the entire 100% zaino method is not for everyone, but you can and it is suggested. Zaino will still work great even if you dont, but for those who are anal, thats the way to go. I bought those towels when I had a black car. I dont know so I will keep using these and doubt I will buy new towels for a while (if ever).

Reed

b4z
01-26-06, 04:15 PM
I don't recommend Meguaiar's NXT.
It just doesn't last more than about 4 washings.
A good old fashioned carnuba will last longer than that.

f2000keith
01-26-06, 08:08 PM
Another on/off topic question about washing a black V. I saw somewhere a wile ago the little plastic grate that sits on the bottom of the bucket to prevent picking up of dirt and other materials that can scratch the surface. Anyone know of where to get them or what to make one out of?

OldRoadDawg
01-26-06, 08:34 PM
Another on/off topic question about washing a black V. I saw somewhere a wile ago the little plastic grate that sits on the bottom of the bucket to prevent picking up of dirt and other materials that can scratch the surface. Anyone know of where to get them or what to make one out of?

Adam's Grit Guard
http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=81275C7D-C182-4727-BD4A1D96F14F71F9

50 4Ever
01-26-06, 08:56 PM
California water blade? I've seen them but do they work and don't mess the paint?

Yes they do work and do not scratch the paint. I've got a 50th Anniversary Edition Corvette and the paint on that is so soft just looking at it wrong will scratch the paint. I was real skeptical at first until I helped a friend wash his Corvette, I was sold after that. You can remove 95% of the water then just get the rest with a towel, and the windows come out spotless because the blade is a super soft squeege.

Ziplicon Tuesday
01-26-06, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the run-down CTSVette - Man I'll tell ya, I get a lot of crap from people who say I'm overly anal with my V but damn, I ain't sure I'm doing enough now....
Think I'll try the blade and I gotta' try this shop vac method.

f2000keith
01-27-06, 01:21 AM
Adam's Grit Guard
http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=81275C7D-C182-4727-BD4A1D96F14F71F9

Thanks Dawg!

riverrat
01-27-06, 02:09 AM
Check out the Adam's instructional videos for lots of car care tips even if you don't use their products.:cool2:

I think over the last year or so I've watched all the videos, one of these days I'll have to buy some of Adam's stuff:rolleyes:

SoCadillac
02-08-06, 12:29 PM
Hand wash with Griots Garage car wash and natural sponge.

I special ordered a Kranzle variable pressure washer that I use, mostly on the wheels. I use Griots Garage Finest Water Hose Nozzle for the bulk of the car (I love that bloody nozzle).

Metro Air Force Blaster (that I purchase through a dog grooming supply, as it the very same unit that they charge you more for, when it is sold as a motorcycle or car dryer).

Use a natural chamois. Micro-fiber as a final touch after any waxing. Have boxes of 100% cotton towels as well.

Used Griots Garage Show Wax, (used Zymol for years) but found it too labor intensive to apply and you have to use micro-fiber clothes to get off the final reside. I now use Stoner Bead Max that found as a fluke as I ordered Stoner sampler kit and didn't even touch the Bead Max can for over a year and when I did I haven't stopped using it--I love it. Quick with excellent results. I use various detailer to touchup, but Stoner's Speed Bead works best, although I occasionally use Meguiars, Griots Speed Shine, Mothers (which smells the best). When I clay I use Meguiars. I own and use the Griots Garage Porter Cable Orbital polisher that I use in conjunction with Griots Garage Polish 1, 2 and 3 (all excellent). I apply wax everywhere that there is paint: under the hood, engine compartment, door jams, trunk cut-in, fuel door compartment.

Wheels: Griots Wheel Cleaner

Tires: Stoner More Shine, Less Time (I buy it by the case)

Interior: Lexol Vinyl, Griots Garage Leather Care, Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. For the air vents I use Stoner More Shine Less Time for trim.

Exterior Plastics: Mothers Plastic Polish

Glass: Micro-Fiber cleaning clothes and any good glass cleaner that does not have ammonia in it.

ahahnu
02-08-06, 04:39 PM
I used Zymol for a year, and you had to repray the car after waxing, buff that out to get all the little crap. No thank you. I am Griots all the way. Just clay barred and I was amazed at how smooth it is before you wax. Plus they have many many products for keeping your car in tip top condition.

I just went to the Zaino site. I may have to switch...

thebigjimsho
02-08-06, 04:40 PM
Let's make this 3 pro-Griot's posts in a row. Their stuff is the best.