: Thinking of buying, what do I look for?

Fieroguy
01-23-06, 10:03 PM
Hey all,
I'm new to Cadillacs. I have been pretty into Fieros since I started driving and currently have 2, one to drive and one that I'm working on. Only problem is that they are 2 seaters and I can't really take anyone anywhere.

I saw the Catera and I think it is a beautiful car and woudl like to buy one. I did a little research and found out that I should stay away from the 97 and 98s.

What should I look for when buying a used one? Is there anywhere that it rusts? Does anything wear out before other parts? And the final question, should I buy one? I've heard a lot of horror stories on some review sites, but I know people never give good reviews, they only tell people about the bad and not the good. So please let me know what you guys think and if there is anywhere that I can get good solid info.

Timelode
01-24-06, 12:02 PM
My personal opinion is that unless you can do a lot of the work yourself and are willing to shell out a more than average amount of cash for parts, don't bother with a Catera. Especially since the newest Cateras are '01s. That's already 5 years old. You would be better off getting something more reliable and saving your cash for a CTS. Owning a Catera becomes a love/hate relationship for many owners. If you choose to buy one, stick with a '00 or '01. Rust is really not an issue with these cars. Verify that all the recall work has been done it. You can do this by taking the VIN number to a Caddy dealer and having them run a report. It's even better if the previous owner has had all of thier work done at the dealer, then you will at least know how well the care has been maintained, and what the reliability history is.

We really love our '99 and I do most of my own work. It's been fairly reliable and we will keep it for at least 2 more years. So far I've only had to deal with a few antifreeze leaks, a bad heater control valve, and a dead alternator (too soon at 84k). The day we do sell it, we will miss it, and yet we won't.

CateraSport2000
01-26-06, 01:58 PM
A Catera can be an amazing deal and cost up to $8,000 less than a similar BMW, Acura, or Mercedes. These cars have horrible resale so if you pick up a good car cheap enough, the extra maintenance and repairs may still make it well worth it.

Jeff