: deciphering DTC messages into plain English

bigmutt
01-23-06, 08:17 PM
Okay, so you pull all the codes, look them up on Anthony W. Haukap's excellent site: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html
and you find out that U1255 means "Loss of Serial Communication for class 2 Devices", for example.
Well, that's nice, but what does it really mean? What caused this code? And how do you fix whatever caused it?

Is there a place to look up a more detailed explanation for these DTCs?

I've seen many members post individual DTC messages here and ask for help, but is there a way to save you guys your valuable time so you can devote your answers to more pressing issues on this forum (like: where are my cup holders?) ?????

Last year after I bought my Jozie I pulled all the codes, wrote them down, tracked down the two most pressing ones, and forgot about the rest. (I just left them.) Recently I checked again and they're all still there, plus 2 new ones (Loss of KIM - keep-alive-memory, and this Loss of serial communication for class 2 devices). Now I'm curious what exactly these nine messages mean; I'm tempted to just clear them and forget about it, as long as the car is running & operating fine (which it is).
But then there's this nagging feeling that one day I'll hammer on the brakes during a panic turn or something, and there won't be any ABS to save my ass because I ignored some code that could have told me this.

What do you think?

(note: if you kind & helpful gentlemen on this forum want to offer some opinions on these individual messages from my Jozie, I'll more than happily post them for your comments; the decoded msgs of course. thanks)

mcowden
01-24-06, 11:18 AM
You need to get a service manual to decipher the code and how to troubleshoot the system that's identified in the code.

http://www.helminc.com

bigmutt
01-30-06, 01:55 AM
I have the service manuals, and today I spent an hour or so searching for more info on these codes, and found nothing. Yes, it lists the various codes but gives no clue as to why the code originated in the first place, and what to do to fix it.
What am I missing?