: Warranty question...need help

rgd
01-23-06, 06:37 PM
My pwr steering is all messed up. Hard to turn and making the sound a bad pwr steering unit makes blablabla

What do you think my dealer is going to say when he looks at it and sees, Hotchkis? Do you think having Hotchkis sway bars installed can void my pwr steering warranty?

urbanski
01-23-06, 06:54 PM
did you check your PS fluid?

JOEYCTS-V
01-23-06, 07:07 PM
Yea, first check your fluid like urbanski suggested. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Did you remove the Hotchkis sticker from the swaybars? Even if you didn't I doubt they will even notice it. If they were to blame the bars for your power steering pump failure I would love to hear their reasoning. :bouncy:

rgd
01-23-06, 07:18 PM
did you check your PS fluid?

Yes, first thing I looked at. It was a little low, maybe. Filled it thinking there might be air in the line, turned steering rt to lft to max trying to bleed air if that was it. No help!

The problem came at the end of a track event Saturday. Cut my day one session short, bummer.

I would rather take 1/2 hr and put the stock sway bar back on before finding out what their reason for not fixing pump is.

heavymetals
01-23-06, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't tell them it failed at "track day" :canttalk:

ace996
01-23-06, 07:41 PM
If it worries you, swap the front bar. But here's my reasoning for leaving it on....The sway bar absorbs roll-energy that would be absorbed by other pieces...bushings,the shock, springs, ect. One could argure that a sway-bar would allow those stock pieces a longer, less stressful life due to it's effect of absorbing that roll-energy.
The power-steering would not encounter any more stress from a sway-bar. But dealers are looking at ANY/EVERY way to deny warrantee work, so I'd be safe and swap them.

Sorry to hear about the steering...I encountered some additonal sound after a few "spirited" minute-long runs last summer....it went away, though, later that afternoon.

Good luck,
ace

ewill3rd
01-23-06, 08:14 PM
They can't refuse to warranty anything unless the modification directly affected the failure.
Meaning, if the sway bar rubbed on the power steering line until it rubbed a hole in it, then yes, they will make you pay.
If the hose exploded or a seal is leaking they can hardly blame that on the sway bar.

Personally I would ignore the sway bar and see what has failed, look for any external forces and then decide whether it's a warranty concern or not.
Don't sweat it, but remember you are responsible for diagnosis time if it turns out to be customer pay and you decline the repairs.