: Gave up on searching for a Caddi just got a bonneville

fatboyq
01-23-06, 10:35 AM
Thanks for all the help in the past month or so. With a tight budjet of $3500 it was hard for me to find a decent cadillac. I went to test drive 3-4 of them and they were real horrible. I pretty much concluded that any Caddy under $4k is going to be a bad example.

I just got a decent deal on a Very Very clean 1994 Bonneville SSE. It has all the toys in it and 1 owner 92k miles got it for $2800. Do you guys think I payed too much?

Is there a place like this for Pontiac cars or any GM 3.8L powered cars?

Thanks for all your advise. I do plan on getting a 2000 Deville next year, Im saving for a DTS model.

caddydaddy
01-23-06, 10:59 AM
Dang, I bought my '94 Deville with 94k miles for only $3,500! It was in awesome shape. That's too bad you didn't find one for that price! Mine came from the Chicago area as well.

Good luck with the Bonneville, those are good cars too!

Night Wolf
01-23-06, 11:44 AM
NICE car!

I like the SSEi... they add a little optioned called Supercharged :)

The 3800 V6 is perhaps my favorite all-around engine for a car. Its a sweet engine.

I think you got a great deal on that car... the SSE is a pretty good model. Do you have the rear spoiler and dual exhaust etc....?

There is a dedicated Bonneville forums... I don't remember the site off hand, but it was a really good site, lots of good people and stuff... probably search Google for it, it'll show up.

ibmer
01-23-06, 01:32 PM
I got my '91 Eldorado with 89K for $2300 from Philadelphia, PA. So far I've only put about $800 into the car for new tires & rust repairs on passenger door which was not really necessary, but I was just being anal-retentive. I just couldn't see such a nice old car with the few rust bubbles on the door. Otherwise a very clean car inside & out.

IMO I don't think you did all that badly for $2800. I also looked at an SSEi or two before getting my DeVille.

Good luck!!
Rick ~

fatboyq
01-23-06, 03:36 PM
Yes it has dual exhaust, spoiler, 9 way power seats, electronic compass everything except a sunroof. It's not a cadillac however I believe it's the next best thing. I cant believe how many gadjets they had it in being a 94 model

ibmer
01-23-06, 03:44 PM
Yes it has dual exhaust, spoiler, 9 way power seats, electronic compass everything except a sunroof. It's not a cadillac however I believe it's the next best thing. I cant believe how many gadjets they had it in being a 94 model

Those SSEi's are loaded with all sorts of neat stuff. Very nice car; be sure to share pics with us!

Congrats!!
Rick ~

Night Wolf
01-23-06, 03:53 PM
The fully loaded Pontiacs and Oldsmobile of the early and mid.... even late 90's had alot more toys and gadgets inside then Cadillac, believe it or not :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-23-06, 03:58 PM
I think you really got a great deal, I have always loved the 93-99 SSE's and SSEIs. They are a great performance sedan, they actually have more comfortable front seats than my deVille.

Post some pics!

caddycruiser
01-23-06, 04:35 PM
Sounds like a great car!

While they're out there, I know exactly what you're talking about when it comes to finding an older used Caddy (early to mid-90's) for not much money but that isn't torn to shreds. I found this out, specifically, when our '93-96 Fleetwood hunt started in 2003, where we'd find a lot that looked nice in pics and as far as the price, but were absolute garbage in person--especially one that was at a fairly large dealer. Ended up finding one that was near immaculate from a private one owner, and then just a week or so ago, I bought another near immaculate '95 for the same price as we paid for the '93, this time from a dealer...but it took a LOT of searching.

Good luck with the Bonnie!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-23-06, 05:06 PM
The 1991-96 Park Avenues/ Ninety Eights and the 1992-99 Bonneville are some of my favorite V6 sedans ever.

That 3800V6 is a great motor (just ask nightwolf ;) ) In series II trim, its got about 90% of the power of the 4.9 V8, and it gets like 22MPG in mixed driving on 87 octane! It's probably one of the most reliable V6's ever made, and one of GM's best engines along with the 350 V8.

The Park Avenue and the Ninety Eight Regency Elite are basically like Cadillacs, especially a fully loaded Ninety Eight Regency Elite Series II. Its got pretty much everything that a deVille does, except the V8 and the prestige associated with Cadillac (and the $10,000 premium).

The Bonnevilles span the price range that the Lesabre and Park Avenue fill in. A base Bonneville SE costs about the same as a Lesabre Custom or a Eighty Eight Royale, and a fully loaded SSEi costs about the same as a Park Avenue Ultra or a Ninety Eight Touring Sedan.

Pontiac was correct in calling the Bonneville SSEi a bargain 5 series fighter. You get more for your money, it performs better than the 530i of similar vintage, and I would bet that its more reliable.

Side note, before I bought the deVille, I test drove a 1997 SSE. It was a really nice car, I liked it a lot, but I didnt buy it because it had 149k miles, and a lot of stuff like the HUD and compass didnt work anymore and I didnt want to have to do a lot of annoying repairs on a daily driver.

fatboyq
01-23-06, 05:59 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/fatboyq/2fdd8394.jpghttp://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/fatboyq/59a0543b.jpghttp://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/fatboyq/e142dba2.jpghttp://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/fatboyq/71cdf944.jpg

Here it is

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-23-06, 06:18 PM
Ah I can see you have the gold "snowflake" rims...very nice!
The electronic climate control...very nice as well, and do you have the Bose System, Whats that slide switch on the dashboard below the radio do?

fatboyq
01-23-06, 06:21 PM
It's the gain for the subwoofer! pretty pimp for a factory feature.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-23-06, 06:40 PM
So the farther you push it to the right, the more bass you have?
Cool!

That 97 SSE I looked at had that too...

Tombo47
01-23-06, 07:07 PM
FatboyQ, how does the supercharger run? Do you enjoy it? My buddy Greg is very happy with his 95 bonneville, its a nice cross between luxo-sport. His is not supercharched, and tis sitll quick. Thats a really nice car man. As for the DTS your are saving for...I have a 2000 DTS. this is what true lvoe is about fi you like performance and have a big heart for luxury. Ive owned several caddies, 1992 Eldorado (4.9 PFI), !987 Fleetwood Brougham (307 ci), 1995 Eldorado (Northstar= my first true love) and now my DTS. Love it. I love 300HP. This cra is amazing, ir ecommend you bust your ass make soem money and get one. I got mine for 10, 500 with 85K on it, thing runs great and no problems yet. I am a delivery driver so the car is really put to the test. The car can take a beating, tis veryy rugged and stirty. I really hope you get one man.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-23-06, 07:29 PM
Wow thats quite a jump, from an 87 Brougham to a 95 ETC.

The big, slow, boaty 4 door cruiser to the sporty, nimble, fast 2 door coupe

Night Wolf
01-23-06, 07:32 PM
FatboyQ, how does the supercharger run? Do you enjoy it? My buddy Greg is very happy with his 95 bonneville, its a nice cross between luxo-sport. His is not supercharched, and tis sitll quick. Thats a really nice car man. As for the DTS your are saving for...I have a 2000 DTS. this is what true lvoe is about fi you like performance and have a big heart for luxury. Ive owned several caddies, 1992 Eldorado (4.9 PFI), !987 Fleetwood Brougham (307 ci), 1995 Eldorado (Northstar= my first true love) and now my DTS. Love it. I love 300HP. This cra is amazing, ir ecommend you bust your ass make soem money and get one. I got mine for 10, 500 with 85K on it, thing runs great and no problems yet. I am a delivery driver so the car is really put to the test. The car can take a beating, tis veryy rugged and stirty. I really hope you get one man.

SSE is NA, SSEi is s/c

He has SSE

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-23-06, 07:38 PM
Actually IIRC, the Supercharged 3800 was an option on the SSE, atleast it was on the later years of the SLE.

But either way, he doesnt have the S/C3800.

Tommy Deville
01-23-06, 07:55 PM
i payed $3500 in 97 for my 90 deville with 94k on it............it had new tires exaust front struts new water pump thermostat and radiator, that car had the coldest A/C ever! My 97 & 95 northstars A/c does not come close. Ive heard that this is a common thing with northstars...but getting back 2 the 90 deville, i had 2 repalce the driver side armrest i used a plastic one and painted it the color of the door panel looked better than decent, my driver side seat was kind of dead and wobbely......i used a few make shift fixes for that, appraently the owner b4 me was a LARGE man.i belive his name was Al and his women was magaly at least that what was painted on each door, maggaly n Al. I replaced the rear shocks with monroes and duing the nearly 2 yrs i had the car i put almost 30 k on it i replaced a rack and an axle and a trans shiffter cable twisting and turning i put maybe 2gs into it inculding the system which was UNREAL! I had trues on that bad boy and put the Rolls royce grill which wroked out perfect cause there was an ugly dent on the hood that the top piece covered the only thing i regret is that i did not tint the windows i gotta post a picture of it it was a real nice ride. i bailed on it and sold it for $1200 after the trans blew in april of 99 than i leased my auroa.
I would love to get my hands on a 98 or 99 auora with an autoban pkg. I came within a wisker lat x-mas of getting one on Ebay for $3500 red and tan interior but i reached my max bit and lost the car by about 300 bucks...o well.
I payed $4900 for my 97 concurs black with tan interior
both excellent. but alas my suspension has been a real headache and my heated seats and steering wheel controls dont work. i plan on dealing with all these issues in late march.

Night Wolf
01-23-06, 10:14 PM
Actually IIRC, the Supercharged 3800 was an option on the SSE, atleast it was on the later years of the SLE.
But either way, he doesnt have the S/C3800.

nah.... no s/c with SSE...

the SLE is kind of a rareity... IIRC it was even higher then the SSEi... I know the ~1994 Grand Prix SLE is the one (one of them atleast) that got the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam and 5spd combination along with nearly all the options.

Caddyshack100
01-23-06, 10:52 PM
I also had a soft spot in my heart for those Pontiacs, sweet cars, especially the supercharged ones. Tommy Deville, I glad Im not the only one who thinks the A/C is not up to snuff on the later models. That early Caddy you had with the nice cold A/C had R12 in it. Unfortunately GM went for its replacement R134a, a real terrible substitute. I drained mine and substituted R12a, what a difference in cooling it made, instead of register temps in the low 40's, now it is down in the low 30's as R12 was. Its too bad its illegal for you to do this in the States.

JoCan
01-24-06, 07:48 AM
Here are Bonneville forums http://www.pontiacowners.com/pontiac/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Night Wolf
01-24-06, 11:38 AM
Those aren't the ones I am thinking of...

this one was a dedicated Bonnieville owners club, a reall nice site.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-24-06, 12:53 PM
I've heard of that site too

Night Wolf
01-24-06, 07:42 PM
I found it :)

bonnevilleclub.com/forum/