: VIN decipher?

tkrueger3
01-22-06, 12:13 PM
:confused: Is there a chart somewhere that I can use to decode the VIN number on my '91 Brougham?

caddycruiser
01-22-06, 01:28 PM
Other than what plant it came out of and what # off the line it was, the vin isn't going to tell you a whole lot. What you want to do is decode the SPID (Service Parts Identification) label on the underneath of the trunk lid--that will tell you all the original options, colors, some standard things, etc. Looks like this (this is just one, for example, off our Roadmaster):
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/buickspid.jpg

Then you can find anyone of a number of sites that list what all the codes mean.

caddycruiser
01-22-06, 01:30 PM
Here's one of many sites to decode the SPID with:
http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/MODERNGMRPO.html

Katshot
01-22-06, 03:27 PM
The VIN only nets you "specific" info when linked to the OEMs database.

N0DIH
01-22-06, 05:37 PM
Cool!! You got a V92 Towing package car!! 5000# towing capacity is what most V92's were. V08 is HD cooling. GU4 is 3.08 gears. FE2 Firm Ride Suspension. The codes that start with 6, 7, 8 and 9 are springs.

Got a nice ride there!!

Tom

Other than what plant it came out of and what # off the line it was, the vin isn't going to tell you a whole lot. What you want to do is decode the SPID (Service Parts Identification) label on the underneath of the trunk lid--that will tell you all the original options, colors, some standard things, etc. Looks like this (this is just one, for example, off our Roadmaster):
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/buickspid.jpg

Then you can find anyone of a number of sites that list what all the codes mean.

caddycruiser
01-22-06, 05:59 PM
Cool!! You got a V92 Towing package car!! 5000# towing capacity is what most V92's were. V08 is HD cooling. GU4 is 3.08 gears. FE2 Firm Ride Suspension. The codes that start with 6, 7, 8 and 9 are springs.

Got a nice ride there!!

Tom

I know...I think we had started this conversation before. Always thought it felt quite a bit different than the Fleetwood, and now I know it isn't that it has double the miles.

caddycruiser
01-22-06, 06:00 PM
:confused: Is there a chart somewhere that I can use to decode the VIN number on my '91 Brougham?

Any of this helping you? All you really need is to look at your SPID and then start decoding...

tkrueger3
01-27-06, 12:53 PM
:yup: Well, I did find the SPID - it's mounted under the TRUNK lid! I was able to decipher all the codes except these: IQ2, V73, YN6. YN7, Y25, 7FA, 8MH, and 9MH. If anybody knows what any of these RPO codes for a 91 Brougham are, please let me know. Thanks. Tom

N0DIH
01-27-06, 02:40 PM
I am 95% sure the 7FA (look for a 6FA) are front springs and the 8MH and 9MH are rear springs. As for rates, contact GM. Should be public info.

brougham
01-27-06, 05:45 PM
There is some posts here that have some really good info for decoding that sticker. Do a search and see if you can find them I think they're in the non model specific area.