: Options Dump the V, of Supercharge it, Advice Needed

MonsterV
01-22-06, 10:17 AM
Heres the story, I love the car but hate the drivetrain. I have been through 3 diffs ( shattered 2 and twisted 1 so bad all the seals leaked ) since I bought it only mods are a CAI, Headers and Exhaust. I am a forced induction addict and need to have a reliable daily driver with 550 minimum rear wheel HP.

So here are the options I see that make sense:

1. Dump the V get a loaded 2006 GTO for around 28 grand with incentives and my GM discount. With the proceeds from the V own the GTO outright and have 3-4 grand plus the 5-6 I was going to spend for the maggie on the V to mod the car. This gives me a budget of 8-10 grand to make the GTO a reliable 550rwhp daily driver, which based on my research is very easy to do with my budget and the upgraded parts available.

2. Is there a option 2 ??????. I want no I need reliable power and can't find any way to get it with the V's fragile rear diff. I have a twin turbo C5 that pushes out in excess of 850hp and can drive it anywhere beat on it at the track all night change tires and drive it home no problems and it has a stock rear diff case with upgraded internals. I guess what I am asking is there something out there that will handle the power I want to put out without having to rip out the IRS completely and custom fab a new 9" rear solid axle setup for the car.

Your Thoughts are appreciated,

Mike

CVP33
01-22-06, 11:19 AM
MV,

You're EXACTLY where I am right now. Once my situation is resolved with GM, then what? I want a CTS-V, I need a reliable car. Unfortunately these have been mutually exclusive for me. I wouldn't dare S/C the V with it's current diff. The two aftermarket replacements that are in production would be an option but at what cost? I want the exclusivity and tossability of the V but the reliability of the Corvette, SRT-8's and the like.

V-Max
01-22-06, 11:29 AM
If you can forgo the amenities here is a used '05 GTO from Chesrown:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?car_id=195374238&dealer_id=1027307&car_year=2005&dealership_view_name=chesrownolds&sort_type=make_modelASC&first_record=26&pager.offset=25&cardist=0

How fast do you want to go with a back seat?!

http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57942

Sounds like your a drag racer so brakes are not that important. The '05 uses C6 caliper which uses the same pad as the C5 so there are many choices.

Norm

SoCadillac
01-22-06, 11:37 AM
Option 1: Go the GTO route. It sounds like you've already invested too much time into your V and time is the one thing you cannot replace.

2004ctsv
01-22-06, 12:00 PM
:yeah:

I think that you already know what you want to do, now just get it done.

Not much is worse that living with a car you can't rely on or don't like.

T

01-22-06, 12:15 PM
Not much is worse that living with a car you can't rely on or don't like.

Oh, how badly I wish this were true........

willsctsv
01-22-06, 12:23 PM
My V gets the piss beat out of it daily. 11K on the 2nd rear, and only a slight leak and whine. I think the BMRAWK, and pinion support help preserve the rear. IMO.. I chirp gears, get the V sideways, and have tracked it 5 times. So far so Good...
I think the violent hop gets the case all twisted and messed up..

lasstss
01-22-06, 12:55 PM
There is a progression of failures with the V as designed. Personally, I think the V was a GM afterthought as the CTS was not built to accommodate this driveline given how tight it all is.
However, if the Mad or aussie diff comes to fruition with halfshafts, there should be no adverse handling issues. It should be a bolt in item. I would guess probably 30 lbs added weight. This takes care of the diff and axles. From here the driveshaft and clutch may be an issue. This is more easily delt with. So we are looking at what I think will be a $35-4500. Mod. Less than a blower. Locking up the cradle + HD diff should get this thing out of the trench.
With an IRS, total elimination of wheel hop is a dream. It can only be minimized. JMO....

CVP33
01-22-06, 02:18 PM
Marty,

If the aftermarket rear diff' is really $3,500 - $4,000 I'd dive back in in a heartbeat. I can see buying a 2005 leftover CTS-V for say $40K and spending $10K for a new rear diff and magna charger. If it holds together I'd be the happiest guy on the planet. And that's a fact.

heavymetals
01-22-06, 02:32 PM
Just for a thought, what makes you think a 2006 GTO is gonna have a different outcome?

Sounds like you have your mind already set though.

CVP33
01-22-06, 02:47 PM
I guess what he was thinking was that the Turbo'd and S/C'd GTO's have not been experiencing rear differential failures at the rates and frequencies that us V owners have. There already is a rear differential developed in the aftermarket by the aussies which eliminates this as a concern. You can also factor in that at $29K you've got plenty left over for mod's throughout the drivetrain before you ever get into $50K investment cost.

If fast is your destination, here's your vehicle. You also have some exclusivity as I've seen just as many GTO's as V's. If you count base CTS's than I've seen far fewer GTO's.

BadCad
01-22-06, 03:55 PM
Dump the V asap and get yourself a Goat, or whatever. You'll be happier and we won't be reading anymore the trials you've been having...

V Amazed
01-22-06, 04:36 PM
I dont know about any of you guys, but I drove a GTO 6-speed and wouldn't even concider it after driving my V. I just did not like it in any way shape or form, from interior, to exterior, to clutch feel, to gearbox feel, etc. Although if you plan on making it 550 rwhp, I suppose the last two items aformentioned will be of no concequence.

Ben

heavymetals
01-22-06, 04:51 PM
I guess what he was thinking was that the Turbo'd and S/C'd GTO's have not been experiencing rear differential failures at the rates and frequencies that us V owners have. There already is a rear differential developed in the aftermarket by the aussies which eliminates this as a concern. You can also factor in that at $29K you've got plenty left over for mod's throughout the drivetrain before you ever get into $50K investment cost.

If fast is your destination, here's your vehicle. You also have some exclusivity as I've seen just as many GTO's as V's. If you count base CTS's than I've seen far fewer GTO's.

The only point I differ with is the word "investment":histeric:

I bought the car, and I modified it (to death?) because I wanted a unique hotrod (I blame that on my deprived youth, but that is another story).
If it dissappoints me enough (it hasn't yet) or CADILLAC does, then I will sell it, lick my wounds (if any) and buy something else.
There are cars comming out that are just bitchin looking, perform, and in the same price range.
So far, I haven't wanted one of those more then my V.
However, used cars in the same price range is a whole different ball game.

If you want reliability, buy a Toyota anything.
Investment? Buy land.

Everyday reliable hotrod?
How much you wanna spend, and what are you willing to settle for?

BadCad
01-22-06, 06:02 PM
No car is an investment - unless you're talking about extreme high-end exotics or you're holding on to one for 30+ years.... if the one you have gives you problems, dump it and move on. But there are others, like me, who like the V and will keep it, even with the problems we may experience. No need to keep slamming the V here on this board and give the impression the car is an extreme dog. It is hurting yourself and the rest of us.

AmesCTS-V
01-22-06, 06:11 PM
I daily drive my V and am not going through diffs like this. I don't get it.

04CTSVFLA
01-22-06, 06:16 PM
I think driving hard with traction control ON makes more strain on the diff, turn tc off and I think the diff has less to deal with....just my 2cents. Thats why i always turn tc off when im gonna shift hard - 6k rpms or so.

dqw1
01-22-06, 06:52 PM
I agree with Ames. Some make this V look like a hooptie. Maybe I don't drive hard enough but this is a daily driver. I'm completely satisfied. As long as the warranty is honored, my service department takes as much pride in MY car as I do and I don't pay for repairs...I'm not bitching.
Anyway's, get the GOAT if you want it and let us know how it is.

lasstss
01-23-06, 09:49 AM
The goat has a different issue. Plan on spending $4000+ to put real brakes on it. They have had some Differential issues also, although not as many as us. I think its limited on rear tire size also.
I do think the quality of the interior is pretty damn nice.

AmesCTS-V
01-23-06, 11:23 AM
Just to expand on what last said...

The 05 and 06 GTO have decent brakes. They aren't Brembo's but they are better than most cars have. The 04 GTO's had crap brakes.

The diff on the GTO is fine, it has wheel hop problems like most IRS cars, but there are plenty of Aussie parts to fix that. I probably spent $500 and did installed everything in my driveway.

The tire size is limited, even with fender rolling. Lots of rubbing. The V is much easier to put wide tires on.

The interior quality, leather quality, and fit/finish is great. But feature wise it's lacking, a lot.

V-Max
01-23-06, 11:56 AM
The problem is not that the fenders get in the way, it is the rear shock that has hardly any compression that allows the tire to jump into the wheel well.

Supposedly the leather is real, I like to call it "pleather".

Norm

The tire size is limited, even with fender rolling. Lots of rubbing. The V is much easier to put wide tires on.

AmesCTS-V
01-23-06, 12:12 PM
The problem is not that the fenders get in the way, it is the rear shock that has hardly any compression that allows the tire to jump into the wheel well.
Supposedly the leather is real, I like to call it "pleather".
Norm
A lot of IRS cars squat. The V sits down also, but there is room for that and wide tires. On the GTO there isn't room, so in my book that means the fenders are in the way. I went wide on my V without any issue. On my GTO I didn't really gain any width and still had to roll the fenders.

I love the GTO's leather. In a Monaro book I have they talked about how much extra money they spent on the leather.

10secvette
01-23-06, 07:11 PM
I dont know about any of you guys, but I drove a GTO 6-speed and wouldn't even concider it after driving my V. I just did not like it in any way shape or form, from interior, to exterior, to clutch feel, to gearbox feel, etc. Although if you plan on making it 550 rwhp, I suppose the last two items aformentioned will be of no concequence.

Ben

Same here, my buddy has an 05 GTO M6 with 20k on it. That thing is loose as a goose already and he broke the stock diff. with the stock engine in the first month of owning it. If you think you can go buy an American made car for cheap and slap 550 rwhp to it and EXPECT the stock components to live, your crazy.

There is a rear end solution in the works.

heavymetals
01-23-06, 07:19 PM
The parts that break you replace with stronger parts.

Hot rod motto/philosophy.:histeric: