: Best Code Reader/Scanner?

Domino1968
01-22-06, 09:25 AM
Hello all. I would like to get an opinion on which scanner/reader is the best bang for the buck. I plan on purchasing one not only for my Deville but for other vehicles I wrench on and I hate borrowing/renting.:annoyed: I would like something as versatile as the Tech 2 but I am afraid I just don't want to put out that much for a scanner but at the same time, I don't want to be left with the feeling that whatever scanner I finally decide to purchase, that I won't be missing out on such things as expandability, upgrades, etc. I am willing to pay for a good quality scanner but even on ebay the Tech 2's are around $1200 and up. I am also open to any suggestions on OBD software for laptops/pda's. It would help if anyone has any firsthand experience on this subject. Thanks.

Aurora40
01-22-06, 06:06 PM
If you just want a tool that reads, this one seems pretty cool to me:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?9201

It is also CAN compatible, meaning it should be useful in the future too. It is upgradable, providing they continue upgrades for it.

A Tech-II is two-way, though, you can set parameters and trigger events. And I've never seen them with programming on eBay for less than about $2-3,000.

Domino1968
01-22-06, 11:47 PM
A Tech-II is two-way, though, you can set parameters and trigger events. And I've never seen them with programming on eBay for less than about $2-3,000.

Thanks Aurora, I will put that one on the list of possibles. I would not mind one with programming though. Is the Tech II the only one out there that can set parameters and trigger events?

Aurora40
01-23-06, 10:09 PM
Not that I know of.