: Upcoming Tranny Trouble....

DopeStar 156
01-22-06, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I know, I kinda wish I had a nasty run in with a chick with some Jimmy Dean in her panties instead....

My car feels like it's slipping when it downshifts from I believe 2nd to 1st. I noticed this happening a few times, maybe three separate occasions. It's usually in heavy traffic if I'm behind someone going like 20, then they run ahead and I go to speed up. My car's going 20 so it's gotta be in 2nd gear I would think so it downshifts to 1st but before doing so it hesitates for a second, I feel s slight vibration and then downshift occurs. I'm fearing my trannsmission may be on it's way out. Now I've been known to hypocondriate things like this, meaning make them up in my head because it doesn't happen all the time. I took the beauty out to dinner tonight and everything was fine, but the day before on the highway in traffic I experience this "slipping." I also experienced it a week earlier. So.... I dunno what to do, I have like no money in my account and can't afford a transmission..... I'm at a loss here....

N0DIH
01-22-06, 01:55 AM
Fluid level ok? Fluid and filter fresh??

Recently have you adjusted the TV cable (My recommendation is this is a 6 month thing to do, but then again, I like to be under the hood looking over things. Min a 30K service item in my book)

TV cable will mess things up and can lunch a tranny in 30 miles if messed up.

Just press in the reset, push cable in some, then at the gas pedal, go to WOT. I know, the book says at the throttle, but I have found the gas pedal does a better job.... Just stresses the throttle cable more.

DopeStar 156
01-22-06, 02:45 AM
Fluid level is all good and the filter is a year old I believe.....I'll have to call the shop on Monday and askwhat was done with my Transmission last December because I know they stopped a fluid leak last year..... In any case I feel better because my dad told me

"Don't worry about it... It'll get taken care of."

Last time he said this it was about my carb, and he bought me a new carb.....

Night Wolf
01-22-06, 03:19 AM
the 200R-4 is junk...atleast stock. and no doubt they will fail in the Brougham between 100k and 200k, kinda broad, so I'll narrow it down even more...120k-160k is when they will normally fail.

When you get it rebuilt, save yourself a whole lotta trouble in the future and get a nice high performance transmission cooler installed at the same time... these cars never had one from the factory (even the '79) yet all the FWD cars had a factory aux. trans cooler.

DopeStar 156
01-22-06, 03:37 PM
How much would it run to have the cooler installed?

N0DIH
01-22-06, 04:32 PM
You can pickup a decent cooler from Autozone or the like for around $30 or less and install it yourself in about 1 hour. They are pretty easy on big cars. Smaller cars take a lot more work to do.

Night Wolf
01-22-06, 04:36 PM
yeah, basic coolers are about $30.... I would personally get one of the more high performance ones, about $60.

To have it installed? a shop would probably charge an hour of labor plus any ATF you need.

To do it yourself, its fairly easy, I helped do it on 2 307 Broughams.

DopeStar 156
01-22-06, 11:28 PM
Hmm, I'll have one thrown in then. What difference does it make?