: Friday & Saturday Barrett Jackson (pictures)

SpeedyArizona
01-21-06, 02:40 PM
Good morning everyone! Sorry I haven't been on much, but before I left today, I wanted to get a few pictures up. Yesterday was quite the day, and I'm upset that the ONE car I really wanted went out of my price range. Here's a link to the 1967 Black/ Red Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 427 http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=181905 that I so dearly wanted:mad2: ! In the end, it went for $200,000 of which I went up to $160,000 before quitting:crying: ! But today's another day, and I'm ready to get aggressive!

I also placed a few bids on that 1970 Orange Pontiac GTO Judge Convertible, but it also went "crazy high" in my opinion:cookoo: . I do have a list of cars that I'll be bidding on, so watch Speed and look for me :D.

Here's a few pictures from Friday. (Note, a friend took these, not me)

Sandy
01-21-06, 02:51 PM
You should bought that 1964 Imperial Convertible in Turbine Bronze with the flawless white leather interior & white roof, that went thru late yesterday (Friday evening). Sold for $58,000. One went thru auction at Indiana like a month ago, not nearly as nice, selling for $62,500. Not many "bargins" there in Scottsdale. Seem to be getting the last dollar ! Tonight should be great with the GM Prototypes 4-sale. I cannot believe that Chrysler is selling those prototypes - some of whice they have held onto for decades!!!!! I saw the orange GTO 'Vert on TV. Did you see what that 11,000 mile Camaro Z28 1969 Dr. Green did?? $ 200,000 YIPES.:canttalk:
The Coronet Super Bee Hemi ?? Man, I was selling thm new for $3,800 in 1970. Guy who bought the $200,000 camaro looked to be 27 Y.O. at the oldest! Inheirtanence was good! That "Bee" brought $200,000 - $100,000 MORE than the '53 Corvette.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-21-06, 03:11 PM
Any '70s Lincolns or Caddys there?

terrible one
01-21-06, 03:56 PM
How many days left now?

Sandy
01-21-06, 05:22 PM

wht2000
01-21-06, 07:03 PM
How about that '69 L-88?? Gold, #1 of 101 built...went for $310,000!!!! Beauty!!! I really should have kept my '65!!

FSU_Noles
01-21-06, 09:08 PM
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 Convertible with 61 miles on odometer......

wait for it.....

wait for it....

$1,150,000 :bonkers:

wht2000
01-21-06, 09:19 PM
I'm a litle confused....didn't they say that Chevelle was undefeated in racing??? Don't those miles count? How does that work? Anybody know?

FSU_Noles
01-21-06, 09:44 PM
I'm a litle confused....didn't they say that Chevelle was undefeated in racing??? Don't those miles count? How does that work? Anybody know?

It was drag racing, at 1/4 mile at a time 61 miles could take some time to get acheive.

terrible one
01-21-06, 11:16 PM
Well, the Futureliner just sold for $4,100,000

fast66
01-22-06, 02:18 AM
does this auction only happen once a year?

SpeedyArizona
01-22-06, 10:49 AM
Good morning:coffee: ! Well, it was a historic day yesterday, and here's my thoughts.

That futureliner suprised everyone, most thought it would go for around $1.1 million! This was one of the highlights, but everyone disregarded it because of that Bonneville Special. The Bonneville Special was the disappointment of the day, a measly $2.8 million for what everyone thought, would break the Oldsmobile F-88 record of $3.0 million last year. The Prototype Pontiac Banshee was a huge disappoint for me, I was almost tempted to bid it up since I knew it should've gone for at least $500,000, whoever purchased that got one heck of a deal :hammer:! The Chrysler D'Elegance was pretty much where I thought it would stop at, it wasn't a fantastic car like the Bonneville Special.

The HEMI 'Cuda Convertible was simply amazing, and I'm almost positive Bill Weimann outbid everyone else on it, this was the one car he was after. The other HEMI 'Cuda's went for pretty good money, but the Shelby's ruled this year (last year was the year of the 'Vette). I was ultimately suprised that the 2007 GT500 went for $600,000, as these things will sell for around $48,000-$60,000 when they come out. The Chevelle LS6's brought amazing money, and I really have no idea who would spend $500,000 or $1,150,000 for a Chevelle!

I'm pretty much done with bidding on anything this year, but it's been fun:hammer:.

does this auction only happen once a year?

Yes, always in the middle of January.

Katshot
01-22-06, 11:26 AM
I told you these auctions are crazy. Who in their right mind spends that kind of cash on these cars? It's out of control.

terrible one
01-22-06, 12:37 PM
Yeah, and most of them are going to just sit and be looked at. Cars are meant to be driven, no matter what it is! It's like these cars are too cool to drive.

I liked Bobby Allison's Dodge Daytona.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-22-06, 01:09 PM
I would go nuts for a 70 Charger R/T, preferably with the 440 6 Pack

or a 1969 Dodge Charger 500 (how many are familiar with that one?!?!)

SpeedyArizona
01-22-06, 01:31 PM
Yeah, and most of them are going to just sit and be looked at. Cars are meant to be driven, no matter what it is! It's like these cars are too cool to drive.

Not neccesarily, I know different people that buy cars from Barrett Jackson and use them as their "weekend cruiser". Some will sit in a museum (such as that Bonneville Special), but many will be driven by people like you and I. I'm wondering where that GM Futurliner is going, THAT should be in a museum, but unfortunately Alan didn't get it:(.

One of my favorite parts of the auction was when the man himself, Carroll Shelby, went up on stage and said a few words. I don't know how long Speed covered this, but near the end of the auction, he went back up and gave a short speech. Truly an iconic American!

I would go nuts for a 70 Charger R/T, preferably with the 440 6 Pack

or a 1969 Dodge Charger 500 (how many are familiar with that one?!?!)

You and me both! Those 500's were really something back in the day! I never cared too much for the Coronet grille though...

terrible one
01-22-06, 01:36 PM
The Futurliner is going to a museum.

SpeedyArizona
01-22-06, 01:39 PM
The Futurliner is going to a museum.

That's probably a good thing, this is meant to be there, not a HEMI 'Cuda! I know Alan Lewenthal didn't get it though, did Speed say?

terrible one
01-22-06, 01:48 PM
Yeah I agree, the Futurliner is probably best as museum material. The 'cuda should be out burning up some tires.

I didn't catch who got it, I did hear Speed say about the museum though.

You think these guys that buy this stuff and have it in a museum make some money from the museum?

Stoneage_Caddy
01-22-06, 02:00 PM
one futrurliner is already in a muesum , in indiana i think its called NATMUS , part of the restoration crew comes down here to the zephyrhills swap meet , i found them one year by a little picture of the liner hung on the RV , i went up and asked them if they knew about the liner , as i figured they just bought it becuse it looked cool. Boy was i surpirsed , almost as much as they were that a 22 year old kid would know about the truck. So every year id find them and we would talk for at least 30 minutes about how the restoration was going on theres , this second one was resotred at the same time ...

every summer i tired to find a way to get up there so i could help them restore it but things just never worked out , its truely a peice of american autotmotive history , and american history , the very first "microwave" was held inside one of these trucks , which took up the entire inside of the cargo hold , but the operateing surface was only big enough to hold maybe an ear of corn , so they always made the very first microwave popcorn with it .

terrible one
01-22-06, 02:02 PM
That's really cool about the microwave!

Stoneage_Caddy
01-22-06, 02:03 PM
cant remeber off hand what the others carried , most of it was very advanced technologythat not only was for the automotive world but for every aspect of the life of the general motors customer base ....

terrible one
01-22-06, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I've read some about them but never heard much of all these appliances, etc.

Katshot
01-22-06, 03:19 PM
My guess is, the higher the price of the car, the less the chances are it'll do much road duty if any. I mean come on if you paid $100K+ for a car, chances are, it's going to be a garage queen.