: What Should I buy?

Ishminder
01-21-06, 01:16 AM
Well Fellow V Owners, I have decided to purchase another car. Do not get me wrong, I am not selling the V, but need to buy an SUV for more normal everyday sane and stressfree driving. Too bad the V doesnt really provide that. I am contemplating between a few SUV's and would like to get your opinion, as we are all car enthusiasts here.
1) Infiniti FX35 or FX45
2) Porsche Cayenne...not S, or Turbo, or something, the regular one. Dont have too much money to spend, otherwise Id buy the most expensive one!
3) Any other ones you suggest?

Budget is at the most 50 grand.

P.S. I'd buy a Escalade or SRX, but Cadillac has not treated me well, so I figure why keep supporting them? Still if you prefer one of those cars, do let me know...I believe you guys know better than a lot of other people that will be trying to sell me the cars!

trekster
01-21-06, 01:47 AM
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 it's faster and handles better than the porsche cayenne turbo and other cars you metioned. You can pick up a fully loaded one for 45k.

-Gilbert

dannystang
01-21-06, 01:58 AM
Ive driven both Ish.

That porche in brown/tan leather is amazing nice inside...Ive never seen such a nice interior...

The FX is cool but its REAAAALY bad on gas since you will always be on it. but it does have that 300 hourses and tectronic shifter thing

crowan
01-21-06, 02:00 AM
I have an '05 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee that I drive in tandum with the V and I love it. The new body style has more leg and shoulder room that makes a world of difference. The thing is a tank in the snow and has been problem free. It has a smooth ride and handles great. I switched to the Jeep after driving Tahoes and Suburbans for years. I no longer get turned away from parking garages that won't accomodate those beasts

The only complaint is a small one from those who ride in the back seat: the head-rests are not adjustable and hit some people in an awkward spot.

There are lots of deals to be had.

CR

1MEANV
01-21-06, 02:19 AM
escalade of coarse

wildwhl
01-21-06, 02:58 AM
GTP -

Interesitng. My exact recommendation.

Good call.

WW

heavymetals
01-21-06, 03:49 AM
For $50k you got a whole lot of choices.

I prefer a station wagon over an SUV though.

V Amazed
01-21-06, 04:59 AM
X5, '07 tahoe, cayenne, srt-8 jeep, range rover...?

Ben

drivered
01-21-06, 09:00 AM
I agree on some of the above choices. We too have a 05 JGC hemi, great truck. After we got it I said to my wife, we might have two of these in the garage. It has great power and performance but if you want something that is a great truck with V like performance go with the SRT-8. I also think that the new Escalade is looking great. GM is finally stepping up their interiors. Look at the Tahoe's, it is the best looking Chevy interior I have ever seen. Motor Trend and Edmunds both basically said it was the best big SUV ever made. That won't last long- they haven't tested the Cadi yet.

Katshot
01-21-06, 09:05 AM
Don't care for either on your list after driving them. I'd look at and drive the Chevy Trailblazer SS and the Jeep SRT-8. Both are the top of their field and can easily be had within your budget.

austin
01-21-06, 09:27 AM
IMO...... A Blk/Blk, 05/06 BMW X5 4.8is w/NAV should do the trick.

rand49er
01-21-06, 09:29 AM
Okay, this isn't all that exotic, but my wife has a Buick Rainier. It's two years old, has 40k on it, and cost lower to mid $30s. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. The straight six cyl is very peppy, too. Fuel economy is about 18 mpg all around, about 22 on highway. So, you keep about $15k in your pocket and blend in with the crowd. Just my $0.02. Okay, now back to more pizzazz ...

Silver Baron
01-21-06, 10:04 AM
Ask yourself how important are the following or how much do you need or really want:

A SUV or will a crossover or maybe a wagon do
6 or 7 seats
trailer anything - your CTS-V :histeric:
general size - some SUVs don't fit all (parking) garages
Certain HP or HP/lbs
Manual or automatic
Can you wait 3-6 months for a new model - some nice stuff coming
Cost / fuel consumption - hybrid?
Domestic or import
Any other feature you find important

Then go by elimination and your perfect vehicle will emerge.
PS: Don't forget to ask the wife and let her pick colors :D

SBONES
01-21-06, 10:30 AM
i just baught a 02 grand cherokee ltd....300 hp...has 45000 on it...$16000...i hear ya on that everyday stress free driver...that and the snow...

ghaskins
01-21-06, 10:34 AM
Well Fellow V Owners, I have decided to purchase another car. Do not get me wrong, I am not selling the V, but need to buy an SUV for more normal everyday sane and stressfree driving....
Hi Ishminder,
This is probably not quite what you were looking for, but I thought I would mention it anyway. We have a Subaru Forester XT. This is the turbo model and the thing is really really quick (0-60 in 5.3 seconds) and we absolutely love it. Its the same engine as the WRX STi, but with less boost.

It certainly doesnt have the upscale interior, the size, or the low-speed xfer cast as the class of other vehicles you are looking at. But it will smoke all but a few of the SUVs you are looking at (Porsche and SRT-8 are faster) and I figure that is something a V guy can appreciate (it will smoke a good portion of regular cars on the road too).

Not to mention its rated 21-24MPG (city/hwy), is great in the snow, you can get one with a manual, its got that Japanese reliability and its rated one of the safest cars out there for crashes. Not bad for low-mid $20K

Good luck in your search!
-Greg

CIWS
01-21-06, 11:49 AM
Ask yourself how important are the following or how much do you need or really want:

A SUV or will a crossover or maybe a wagon do
6 or 7 seats
trailer anything - your CTS-V :histeric:
general size - some SUVs don't fit all (parking) garages
Certain HP or HP/lbs
Manual or automatic
Can you wait 3-6 months for a new model - some nice stuff coming
Cost / fuel consumption - hybrid?
Domestic or import
Any other feature you find importantThen go by elimination and your perfect vehicle will emerge.
PS: Don't forget to ask the wife and let her pick colors :D

:werd: :yeah:

I had a Nissan Murano before the V and was satisfied with the vehicle, just depends on what your use(s) will be.

Z06CTSV
01-21-06, 12:39 PM
Like many have said, it depends what you're looking for.

My wife has the bigger Infiniti Q56, DO NOT BUY THIS SUV. It is a piece of crap. My local Infiniti dealer is much worse than our worse Chevy dealer. Every month we have something stupid wrong with this SUV. This month it's the back liftgate is loose. Waiting to take it back for it's third trip for the same thing. I miss the suburban... Not much for the smaller FX. Had a few as loaners, just to small for me.

My cousin has a Porsche, it's nice but I believe it's over priced. Then you have the A#@hole/ Porsche thing. He's had some minor problems, nothing serious.

VW - not bad, Porsche for less. My only concern would be the dealer. Find a Phaeton authorized dealer.

The Jeep, Range Rover are nice, but past brand problems would kill these for me (reliability, fit and finish, dealers, etc.).The Jeep does look like it has made major improvements since MB took them over. Range Rover = FORD???

Small Caddy - nice but really a stationwagon. Same for MB new stationwagon. Trailer issues, depending on what you need.

Subaru- Ugly but reliable, Trailer issues

Mitsubishi- NO THANKS

BMW- nice, rough rider, old styling, BMW reliabilty?

MB- Alabama built, evolutionary style and mechanics

Trailblazer- low fit and finish, trucky even though smaller, low quality paint. I had a regular V6 one and not one visit to the dealer (almost 2 years).

Saab is a nicer appointed Envoy/Trailblazer. Dealer availability.

New Suburban, Yukon, Tahoe - Great vehicles, evolutionary mechanicals and styling, nicer fit and finish. Both of my wife's past Suburbans (1999, 2001) have been the best vehicles I've owned (reliabilty wise). Sold 99 to friend it has just short of 200,000 miles, trailers Corvette's.

The Escalade would probably be my choice. Nice looking, power, much better fit and finish, good size, better economy (not great), staying with Caddy.

Possible negatives:
1-New (mechanical is evolutionary)
2-Bling factor (may not be a factor)
3-Cadillac Dealer Service (good?, bad?)
4-New, may have a premium price

My .02
Good Luck,
Joe
New Orleans

wooderson
01-21-06, 01:04 PM
Avoid Land Rovers at any cost unless you have a warranty. Then sell it as fast as you can when it is up.

You can get great deals on the GM fullsize SUV's, ie. Tahoe, Escalade and Denali. Better deals than Infinity by far. The new Tahoe looks sweet. I have an '05 Z71 and it is a great family hauler.

I have a friend with the Cayenne who is not that happy with it. Wishes he would have went with the "S" model instead.

If I was in the market today for an SUV, I would go with a Hemi Jeep. I really like the old school design of the Commander.

ndogg ct
01-21-06, 01:49 PM
i traded an fx45 for my v...the infiniti's are very nice and very dependable..i did'nt have any problems with this i just fell inlove with the v otherwise i would still be driving this...go check them out??

i really like the cherokee srt8 but you know what you get with chrysler products so i would stay away!

just saw the new tahoe which was very nice also??
good luck!!

andrew99eldorado
01-21-06, 02:46 PM
The FX 45 is a sweet truck. Very fast and fun to drive, and has really nice styling. (Black in my opinion looks best) The cherokee SRT8 is another good choice. The only thing to keep in mind with the SRT8 is towing anything such as jet skis, small trailers, etc, could be a problem with the middle exhaust and no tow hitch.

Katshot
01-21-06, 07:43 PM
i traded an fx45 for my v...the infiniti's are very nice and very dependable..i did'nt have any problems with this i just fell inlove with the v otherwise i would still be driving this...go check them out??

i really like the cherokee srt8 but you know what you get with chrysler products so i would stay away!

just saw the new tahoe which was very nice also??
good luck!!

When I drove the FX45, I really liked it but I thought that it sucked as an SUV. IMO, it really shouldn't even be considered one. It's smaller on the inside than any SUV I've ever driven and has far less cargo room than most small wagons. Yeah, it's fun to drive if you don't mind the harsh ride and poor visibility but, overall, I thought it wasn't well suited for a daily driver SUV role.
And as far as your comment about Chrysler, I gotta wonder how you can be so critical about them when your being a CTS-V owner obviously has you stuck with a car that has MANY "issues". :hmm:

Dave-V
01-21-06, 08:35 PM
I didn't think you could get the V10 TDI any more due to emmissions standards. It is supposed to make a return soon but it was in the 60s in '04. However, if you can find one used it makes monster power and gets good mileage. I have my wife in a 3.0 X5. It drives great, gets 23 on the highway and I rarely miss the V8 aroung town. They also hold their value butter than average and can tow 6500#.

I know its not going to be a popular choice but the V10 TDI Touareg is something to look at. I drove one for 2 weeks and its an unbelievable vehicle for the money. 310HP is on par with the rest of the competition but the 553ft lbs of torque is unheard of. Owners with chip modifications are pushing well over 600ft lbs.

Aaron