: Freedom? Privacy?

Lord Cadillac
01-20-06, 05:14 PM
Since we cannot have political discussions, just take this as an FYI...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10925344/?GT1=7538

illumina
01-20-06, 10:58 PM
What does freedom and privacy mean? I don't understand...:hmm: Freedom and privacy in this America? The Hell you say...

davesdeville
01-21-06, 08:23 PM
Heard about it on the news. Listened to a good legal analysis of it, and from what I can tell from a legal rather than moral standpoint the government has no leg to stand on.

And FYI, MSN has recieved and complied with the subpoena, despite what that article says.

Elvis
01-21-06, 10:44 PM
I, on the other hand do think they have a leg to stand on. They shouldn't have it, but they do. As long as they can keep throwing "national security" out there as the excuse they get carte blanche.

Now let's talk about how practical this knowledge could possibly be for them? Not at all considering how many millions of searches Google handles every day. First they would have to select some key words that throw up red flags for them. Then they would have to track down all the i.p. addresses. Realistically they have zero chance of catching a real terrorist.

But they have a very good chance of catching me looking up the formula for crystal meth--not because I would ever make it, just because I'm curious what the big deal is.

Moves like these are probably the reason why when you Google the words "miserable" or "failure" the #1 site on the list is this:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/gwbbio.html

Sorry, didn't mean to make it political.

Swine
01-22-06, 12:58 AM
Since we cannot have political discussions

Since this isn't a political discussion, why is it mentioned?
Seems an invite for political discussion, which will be be closed as soon as a view is presented that you do not share...

snipcan't follow your own forum rules?

I like to respond, but two things prevent me:canttalk:

1) I agree this is absurd

2) It appears disagreeing isn't permitted.

illumina
01-22-06, 01:09 AM
Here you go, I'll play the Devil's advocate on this one :stirpot:

Do you like apples?

If Abu Ibn-Assaud Muhammed Akbar is Googling something that will trace to the great outback of the Afghan counrtryside, I wanna know about it, and so does Uncle Sam!

How you like them apples??

davesdeville
01-22-06, 06:06 AM
A bit more reading into it and you'll see the big deal is about the 1998 COPA law/legislation moreso than terrorism and national security. They don't want kids looking at boobs...

Katshot
01-22-06, 06:50 AM
I don't see how even having an IP address will help you "physically" locate someone. Everytime I've tried it on the internet, it doesn't come within a couple hundred miles of where I actually am.

HotRodSaint
01-22-06, 10:35 AM
I remember when we used to be "FREE" to discuss politics!!

So the government isn't the only entity taking away our freedom in the name of peace. :shhh:

And it isn't the only entity engaged in hypocrisy either!! :duck:

illumina
01-22-06, 12:26 PM
I don't see how even having an IP address will help you "physically" locate someone. Everytime I've tried it on the internet, it doesn't come within a couple hundred miles of where I actually am.

That and they probably use software that jumbles their IP adresses anyways. In other words, someone who wants to hide their practices on the net will be well hidden because any IP trace will lead them to Mongolia or some hole in the Earth like that. I mean come on, if you've ever traced some sort of intrusion with Norton Personal Firewall, how many times have you seen the attack coming from your neighborhood?

Stoneage_Caddy
01-22-06, 01:07 PM
one more thing i dont need to worry about ....

simply comes down to "if your doing nothing wrong dont worry about it"

so what if you type a keyword in and it triggers big brother to come down and watch you , so long as your doing nothing wrong who gives a shit ....

now the snowball effect is the only thing we might worry about , where does this sort of monitoring stop ?

things have been pretty quiet as far as attacks on our shores since 9-11 , so we must be doing something right

Spyder
01-22-06, 11:39 PM
I care, even though I'm doing nothing wrong. It's the basic idea that I can't do my own thing without interference or observation that bothers me, whether I've anything to hide or not, I don't like it.