: dextron coolant

surfsidetex
01-20-06, 04:10 PM
a buddy of mine that owns a shop says you can run other coolants then dextron in cars that say use dex only,the coolant is available at wally world and says for all makes and colors.has anybody done this,i have been through 2 water valves in 2 years,took last valve apart and coolant looked like it was eating away at the diafram,my friend also told me that dextron was in a class action suite because of problems with this coolant

Trench
01-20-06, 05:45 PM
a buddy of mine that owns a shop says you can run other coolants then dextron in cars that say use dex only,the coolant is available at wally world and says for all makes and colors.has anybody done this,i have been through 2 water valves in 2 years,took last valve apart and coolant looked like it was eating away at the diafram,my friend also told me that dextron was in a class action suite because of problems with this coolant

I am not sure I follow "dextron". My guess is you mean Dexron, which is ATF fluid, not coolant.

GM coolant is called Dexcool. Walmart brand coolant that is compatible with Dexcool is really a matter of personal opinions. Some will say it's fine. Other's will call you a fool for using it. I personally have used it with no regrets. I'm sure it's just fine.

you could buy some Prestone coolant that is compatible with Dexcool. It is rather expensive at some places. But's it's a good name brand and I can personally vouch for that as the shop I work at uses it for Coca Cola fleet vehicles.