: EGR change w/ SS fuel rail- trick maybe

locosteelersfan
01-20-06, 03:28 PM
Would it be possible to change it by removing the nuts and bolts then rotating it 90 degress so that the fuel line would not be in the way and therefore not having to remove it and the egr could some clean off and out.

locosteelersfan
01-20-06, 04:47 PM
Well the bolt under the bracket, I tried to get off from the side using a small 10mm cresant. The head of it was turned just perfectly to screw me. I couldn't get much of a turn of it cause I was between the 2 fuel lines and these is a small vertical brace inbetween them preventing me from turning the wrench. If that bolt was slightly looser or tighter I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Plan B: hack the bracket. This cars been treating me like #%&@ so thats what it deserves.

Eldyfig
01-21-06, 11:44 PM
I wish I could help, but I more familiar with the older North*s with nothing obstructing the egr valve.

davesdeville
01-22-06, 07:17 AM
I hacked that mother****ing bracket off. But that's entirely too hard to do really, it's 1/8" thick steel. Takes forever to get through since you can't get any decent rotary cutter down there.

locosteelersfan
01-22-06, 10:53 AM
The worst part about it is why didn't caddy just put the bolt on top of the bracket and not bury the SOB.

mtflight
02-03-06, 12:57 PM
I hacked that mother****ing bracket off. But that's entirely too hard to do really, it's 1/8" thick steel. Takes forever to get through since you can't get any decent rotary cutter down there.

I cleaned out the EGR valve. Man--removing it and installing it was a bear.

Although I don't have a steel fuel rail (mine was not part of the recall), I have the metal bracket atop the EGR valve. I dropped a fastener into the engine valley--and lost it.

My carb cleaner was misplaced--so I tried the electronics cleaner and to my surprise a slurry of black water came out and the valve was squeaky clean. Nice surprise. The valve did not seem to be getting stuck before or after, but the shaft did have a lot of carbon deposits on it, which I successfully removed with the electronics cleaner and a small brush.

I scraped the old gasket off with a razor blade, and it was a bear all over again to put the EGR valve in, with that thick bracket in the way.