: Clutch Issue

bsteven43
01-20-06, 10:28 AM
Guys - had a weird thing happen last night so I want to describe it and see what you think. I took a friend for a short but fast ride, and midway through the clutch pedal was acting funny, like it didn't release all the way or something. In other words, when I engaged the clutch, the pedal didn't return all the way up to it's normal position. Then when I put the clutch pedal to the floor and tried to hit second, I couldn't get it to go into second. On my way home, driving normally, it seemed to be okay but clutch pedal weight seemed different. Woke up this morning and drove it and again the pedal weight seemed lighter than normal - almost requiring no weight to put it to the floor. Otherwise, car seems normal ... does any of this make any sense?

Silver Baron
01-20-06, 11:13 AM
There is a TSB on this. Check http://www.cadillacfaq.com/

Lindsay Cadillac
01-20-06, 11:18 AM
Sounds like the TSB.. Look here http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/05-07-31-001.pdf

bsteven43
01-20-06, 06:12 PM
Guys - yes it does seem like the TSB. James - maybe it's in my head now but the clutch feels funny today. It feels lighter and I could swear it's slipping a little - not a lot but it just doesn't feel right. Would this be likely given what I've experienced or should the clutch go back to working perfectly normall? Thanks.

AmesCTS-V
01-20-06, 06:15 PM
I had that TSB done. You won't believe the difference. Like a whole new car.

DaveBlk
01-20-06, 07:59 PM
So how many guys have replaced the clutch? And at what mileage ? I,m running a little pole and would like to here from the guys who don.t race and don,t have a maggy.

AmesCTS-V
01-20-06, 08:57 PM
So how many guys have replaced the clutch? And at what mileage ? I,m running a little pole and would like to here from the guys who don.t race and don,t have a maggy.
I'm not sure what you are going after with this poll? From what I understand the problem in this case isn't any kind of actual clutch problem. The deal is the clutch at the factory was made with it set in some position similar to a worn out clutch. Had the clutch been put in the position it was supposed to these clutches would be fine.

LV_V
01-21-06, 03:51 AM
I think he's trying to find out what he needs to explain to the dealer because they will probably tell him its normal. My dealer told me this regarding this very issue (until they drove another V that someone brought in for service)...

Closer_2001
01-21-06, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure what you are going after with this poll? From what I understand the problem in this case isn't any kind of actual clutch problem. The deal is the clutch at the factory was made with it set in some position similar to a worn out clutch. Had the clutch been put in the position it was supposed to these clutches would be fine.

The clutch issue is related to the centrifugal force of the rotating clutch exceeding the return pressure of the clutch springs. A revised part is available with stronger return capabilities.

bsteven43
01-21-06, 08:39 PM
Guys thanks for the good information. What are the chances that I caused damage to the clutch? I'm sure it's just in my head but the clutch just doesn't feel right now .... is there anyway that it could be slipping at all? Does the TSB replace the clutch?

AmesCTS-V
01-21-06, 10:39 PM
The clutch issue is related to the centrifugal force of the rotating clutch exceeding the return pressure of the clutch springs. A revised part is available with stronger return capabilities.
That's right the wear plate was the other similar TSB.

AmesCTS-V
01-21-06, 10:40 PM
Guys thanks for the good information. What are the chances that I caused damage to the clutch? I'm sure it's just in my head but the clutch just doesn't feel right now .... is there anyway that it could be slipping at all? Does the TSB replace the clutch?
Don't worry about it. I did it several times before I figured out there was a problem. They will get it fixed and you'll be amazed at the difference. By the way I just went in and told them exactly what happens which is exactly what the TSB describes.