: Subwoofer Idea........!!!!!

ssmith100
01-19-06, 10:09 PM
I know Wildwhl has a version of this but I thought I would run it by you guys. I was working on my stereo today when I pulled out the spare tub for the 100th time and had an idea. There is approximately one cubic foot per side in the tube that would accomodate a couple of tens easily. Thinking of attaching a 3/4" piece of MDF to the top of the tub, dynammating the inside of the tub and installing a couple of 10's. Sealing the MDF to the plastic won't be a problem. If you ever had to remove the enclosure it would be very easy. I already test fit the MDF and it will fit no problem. What do you guys think.

Shane

LV_V
01-19-06, 10:17 PM
The seal between the MDF and sheetmetal needs to be not only air tight but also solid (i.e. Dynamat is not going to work). I recall seeing a post by someone here a few weeks ago with a picture of his subwoofer install in the tub using fiberglass. If you use several layers of fiberglass inside the tub AND attach the MDF baffle to the tub's top using fiberglass, this could work perfectly.

heavymetals
01-19-06, 11:15 PM
The only drawback is having to drive with the rear seats down to hear it.

ssmith100
01-19-06, 11:25 PM
Heavy,

With the factory sub removed I think it would be fine. I've got a 9" hole cut there now in the amp rack mounted underneath the decklid and I think the bass would pass through fine. The free air alumapro just isn't cutting it. It sounds good but just not quite as much as I want. The tub I think is my only option. I've got to have all the trunk space I can get. Damn golf bag.

Shane

heavymetals
01-19-06, 11:36 PM
I would suggest you stick a box in the trunk with a sub and see what it sounds like with the seats up.

Bass being non-directional if your trying to "rattle" the welds loose, you will probably succeed.

However the way the BOSE system is setup I think your going to "hear" a differance.

DILLIGAF
01-19-06, 11:48 PM
Hijack,I know a guy with a coaster and the white paint is coming off the top side.What to do

Koooop
01-20-06, 12:52 AM
I'm having my own problems with my radio... Damn thing wouldn't work so I asked the salesman, he explained that the radio was voice activated (betcha didn't know your V radio was voice activated!

"Watch this!" he said, "Nelson!"

My radio replied, "Ricky or Willie?"

"Willie!" he continued and "On the Road Again" came from the speakers.

I drove away happy and for the next few days every time I'd say, "Beethoven!", I'd get beautiful classical music and if I said "Beatles," I'd get one of their awesome songs.

Then one day a couple ran a red light and nearly creamed my new car, but I swerved in time to avoid them.

"*SS*OL*s!" I yelled.

The French National Anthem began to play, sung by Jane Fonda and Michael Moore, backed up by John Kerry on guitar, Al Gore on drums and Bill Clinton on sax!

I love this car!!!!!!!.

Seattle CTS-V
01-20-06, 01:27 AM
I'm having my own problems with my radio... Damn thing wouldn't work so I asked the salesman, he explained that the radio was voice activated (betcha didn't know your V radio was voice activated!

"Watch this!" he said, "Nelson!"

My radio replied, "Ricky or Willie?"

"Willie!" he continued and "On the Road Again" came from the speakers.

I drove away happy and for the next few days every time I'd say, "Beethoven!", I'd get beautiful classical music and if I said "Beatles," I'd get one of their awesome songs.

Then one day a couple ran a red light and nearly creamed my new car, but I swerved in time to avoid them.

"*SS*OL*s!" I yelled.

The French National Anthem began to play, sung by Jane Fonda and Michael Moore, backed up by John Kerry on guitar, Al Gore on drums and Bill Clinton on sax!

I love this car!!!!!!!.

Hilarious! I think I just crapped my pants.

BTW, how do I turn on my voice-activated features? I keep saying 'turn on' and the V keeps trying to hit on me.

wildwhl
01-20-06, 02:44 AM
I've done just one side with a sealed enclosure and a single Kicker S8L5. Ported would be better, but to be honest, the fiberglass/carbon molded baffle board with a simple JBL B300.1 amp disconnected itself from the spare tire tub after a few months. I need more aggresive adhesive.

By the way - even with a single 8" square driver like above - there is absolutely no need to drop the rear seats to hear the bass...and you'll feel it for sure. For comparison sake - the single sealed S8L5 in the tub is superior in both SQ and DBL than the 10" sledgehammer enclosure that I have on hand as well.

It is a great idea. Move forward young man :D

P.S. - I have a laser file setup for cutting the baffle board from .5" acrylic :sneaky:

dqw1
01-20-06, 10:33 AM
Koop, that was classic, Lmao!!!:histeric:

ssmith100
01-21-06, 09:04 PM
Update 1/21/06

Attached top plate to the tub today. I used 3/4" pieces screwed and liquid nailed to the inside of the tub for the top plate to attach to. Lots of liquid nail on the top edge of the tub before MDF was placed on top. Screwed the top plate into the supports to hold. Liquid nail dried hard as a rock. Dynammated the inside of the tube and sealed all inner edges at the MDF and tub. Dynamtted over that. This thing is completely air tight. Cutting the holes for the (2) JL 10W6v2's tommorow. This is going to turn out vey nice. Removal for the spirited driving to save weight will also be a sinch.

Love it when a plan comes together!!!!

Shane

Dave-V
01-23-06, 03:43 PM
Have any of you done any work with a Boston Pro? I had a sindle Pro 12 with a RF Punch 75 mono and it killed a pair of Orion 12s with the same amp. It olso works great in about 1 ft sealed. A pro 10 works well in about .75 ft. Just my $.02.

Mat347
01-23-06, 04:06 PM
I can also vouch for the Boston pros. Very nice, clean sound, not obtrusive at all..unless you want it. But my second choice would be some W6s.

LV_V
01-23-06, 04:33 PM
My #1 choice would Image Dynamics IDMAX12 v3...

2 Da Max
01-23-06, 05:13 PM
idmax is good, but not as good as an ARC flatline!

LV_V
01-23-06, 05:33 PM
You're crazy. IDMAX is the only sub I will use in my installs and in my friend's installs. Nothing can touch it, especially for the price. Throw one 12" in a 2.5 cubic foot box ported to about 29 Hz, throw 700 watts RMS at it and you will have perfect bass. This exact setup is going in my trunk next week.