: First oil change/ question

ualdriver
01-19-06, 05:51 PM
I took the V to the shop for its first oil change. When they pulled the car up on the computer, they said the car came with Mobil 1 originally and did I want the same? I usually change the oil every few thousand miles in all my cars past and present so I told them to put a good quality filter in with Valvoline oil.

So, do I have to use Mobil 1 to keep my warranty in effect? I assume not, right? And do I have to use the 0W/30W they recommended? I usually use 5W/30 and that's what I had them put in because they didn't have the 0W/30W in stock anyway. Do you guys see any problem with that?

Mat347
01-19-06, 05:57 PM
You won't have any problems, but the Mobile 1 they use is full synthetic and has proven itself a very good product in performance apps.
The Valvoline they used may also be a full synthetic, which I have not heard any reports about.

The difference between 0/30 and 5/30 is almost insignificant. 0/30 would be the better to have, with the thinner cold oil getting to your parts just a bit sooner. But you'll see no ill effects of your choice.

ualdriver
01-19-06, 06:02 PM
The oil they used was not synthetic oil, just regular Valvoline oil. I personally don't like leaving synthethic (or any oil for that matter) in the car for long periods of time (greater than a few thousand miles) so I can't see blowing $75 on an oil change every time just to use synthetic. I don't track the car or drive it particulary hard, except for some occasional spirited driving, so I'm not sure if the synthetic is really worth the money for me.

CIWS
01-19-06, 06:02 PM
This is quoted from the 2005 V owner's manual pg 5-18

What Kind of Engine Oil to Use

Look for two things:

• GM4718M
Your vehicle’s engine requires a special oil meeting
GM Standard GM4718M. Oils meeting this
standard may be identified as synthetic. However,
not all synthetic oils will meet this GM standard.
You should look for and use only an oil that meets
GM Standard GM4718M.

Notice: If you use oils that do not have the
GM4718M Standard designation, you can cause
engine damage not covered by your warranty..

Now all that really means is you could provide a possible excuse for GM not to honor the warranty if you use an oil that doesn't meet the recommended standard. If they're looking for excuses, but I know in my state (Texas) they have to prove that was the cause.

Personally I'll be sticking with the Mobil 1, it doesn't require to be changed as often as "normal" oil. But whatever you choose, stick with it

ualdriver
01-19-06, 06:07 PM
Well that's interesting. Does it list the brands/types of motor oil that meet the GM4718M Standard designation? I have to imagine that just about any name brand oil would meet their requirement!

grandsport5
01-19-06, 06:09 PM
They use Mobil 1 in these engines because of the heat it can handle. Spirited driving can drive the oil temps up well beyond the 250 degrees that normal oil will tolerate.

I've been using it in both of my Corvettes for 10 years and I'm extremely impressed with the oil. I only change the oil when the change oil notification appears, so I get much longer life out of each oil change than the typical 3,000 mile change interval.

I'm so impressed with the oil that I switched all of my vehicles over to it. Yes, it costs more, but I think it's well worth it. I typically do my own oil changes and I've noticed that when I drained the regular oil after 3,000 miles, it didn't feel very slippery. When I drain the Mobil 1 after 7,000 miles and several hard days at the race track, it's still as slippery as when I put it in.

urbanski
01-19-06, 06:18 PM
bye bye warranty
best you get Mobil 1 put in and have a mod delete this thread
then save your $75 next time and DIY

ctsvett
01-19-06, 06:32 PM
I agree with urby... it costs me $26-$29 for each change MOBIL one...

Mobil 1 is somewhat proven and a piece of mind..

Reed

ualdriver
01-19-06, 07:05 PM
bye bye warranty

uh-oh! I'll watch out for the black helicopters with the Cadillac crest flying over my house, too!

Well, I guess next time I'll do the DIY Mobil 1 oil change :)

heavymetals
01-19-06, 07:06 PM
bye bye warranty

You may want to have it changed again after 500 mile on the replacement oil change.

Didn't you read any of the manual that came with the car?:bonkers:

ualdriver
01-19-06, 07:25 PM
I agree with urby... it costs me $26-$29 for each change MOBIL one...

Mobil 1 is somewhat proven and a piece of mind..

Reed
Thanks Reed

DaveBlk
01-20-06, 12:28 AM
In Canada all service is free at your local Caddy dealer includes oil+filter rotors , cabin filters , free washes , air filters and tire rotations and balances for 80000 km or 50000 miles.. !!!! BASICALLY ONCE YOU BUY ITS FREE!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Florian
01-20-06, 12:29 AM
but you still have to live in Canada.....

F

DaveBlk
01-20-06, 12:44 AM
Thats the best part !!!!! Free healthcare+ hardly any cops + lots of highways+no traffic+easy livin+STRONG BEER!!!!!!!:yup: :yup: :yup: :yup:

PneuBird
01-20-06, 03:45 AM
I like the "hardly any cops" :alchi:

Kadonny
01-20-06, 10:34 AM
Mobil 1 all the way. Great oil.

OldRoadDawg
01-20-06, 10:35 AM
"FREE" :histeric::histeric:

Yeah . . right.

thefly
01-20-06, 11:28 AM
Thats the best part !!!!! Free healthcare+ hardly any cops + lots of highways+no traffic+easy livin+STRONG BEER!!!!!!!:yup: :yup: :yup: :yup:

i think robin williams said it best "living in canada is like living in the penthouse above a really great party..."

you can do what i do for oil changes, go to wallymart and bring your own oil to the dealership. then pay the $21.95 for the oil change + filter...

Mat347
01-20-06, 03:05 PM
The oil they used was not synthetic oil, just regular Valvoline oil. I personally don't like leaving synthethic (or any oil for that matter) in the car for long periods of time (greater than a few thousand miles) so I can't see blowing $75 on an oil change every time just to use synthetic. I don't track the car or drive it particulary hard, except for some occasional spirited driving, so I'm not sure if the synthetic is really worth the money for me.

$75!!! Wow...thats WAY too much...I spend about $30 and do it myself.

But a buddy of mine that worked for NASA in Houston said they were doing some tests of high pressure/high friction (similar to what a camshaft/rockers might see) and came to the conclusion that full synthetic is vastly superior to dyno lube. He gave me some numbers but asked for english and said "basically, 10,000 mile synthetic is about as good as conventional oil".

But a few years before I found that out, I did my own test using identical lawn mower engines with the business I had at the time. During the off season I was doing my normal tear down and found, even after about a month or two of sitting, that the mower which ran full synthetic in it still had a very slick cylinder wall, where the other mower felt bone dry. Since then I've ran it in everything I've owned.

DaveBlk
01-20-06, 10:53 PM
REDLINE all the way!!! I take it with me to get my '' FREE'' oilchange. The guy in the GM lube shop gives me the 6 quarts of Mobil 1. HEe puts in the Redline i supply and i got the mobil 1 to put in my SPEC V. GM EMPLOYEES ALWAYS TREAT YOU GOOD IF YOU THROW THEM $10 AFTER service and believe me next time you come in there there quick.:duck:

CVP33
01-20-06, 11:01 PM
Valvoline Full synthetic meets GM specs.
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=19