: Flat tire solutions

Daffy
01-18-06, 11:26 PM
Now that I have my wonderful KDW2's instead of the runcraps, I'm wondering what options there are in case of a flat tire, other than onstar for roadside.

Can we use fixaflat inflators with the tire pressure monitors for example?

wildwhl
01-18-06, 11:31 PM
Fixaflat can ruin the TPS, but I've managed not to.

The real issue is if your flat occurs in a situation where you break the bead on the rim. Or, if the tire gets torn open beyond fixaflat. But most repairs can be managed with the can of sticky stuff.

However, for what it is worth, I've now had 3 flats in the life of this car - and karma fearing me wonders why they've all been driver's rear. 1) Hit a piece of shrapnel with the GSD3's and had total sidewall destruction (runflats might not have survived either). 2) GSD3's again - must have had a nail in it - it flew out on a long downhill 50 mph lefthander. By the time I could pull over, the TPS was reading <5 psi and as it turns out the tire rolled off the rim as I pulled off the road. No fixaflat here. 3) Snow tires (currently) Dunlop wintersports - flat tire - but they're runflats - drive home, repair myself and no issues since.

When the 10 GSD3's (6 front, 4 rear) and the 8 front F1s that I own wear out, or when I chicken out, some sort of expensive summer runflat is going back on. In otherwords, in a couple of weeks I'll be having a blowout sale :nono:

And that's my spare tire theory in a beer bottle.

WW

lonestranger
01-18-06, 11:33 PM
No you can't!! It will gum up the sensors:thepan: Thereby rendering them NFG. At least that's what the General says!!:helpless:

benh
01-18-06, 11:37 PM
Buy a OEM wheel, there are plenty around, put one of your old tires on it, get the CTS jack, take the tub out of the trunk, turn the wheel/tire upsidedown in that space and put the jack in and cover back up...done

wildwhl
01-18-06, 11:37 PM
Trust me, you can get away with it, but you might have to clean some things :)

YMMV

DaveBlk
01-18-06, 11:49 PM
I carry a small compressor and a plug kit for fixing winter tires . A guys not going to run them at high speed anyway . Other than that theres onstar and a trip to thje nearest tire shop in a tow truck. Onstar works great !!! We had our Escalade stolen about 6 months ago. Onstar tracked it and it was found about a mile from the Winnipeg Man. Hooters where it was stolen. OF course they took everything from inside and smashed the front end and cooked the tranny. :bomb: :banghead: :cookoo:

verbs
01-19-06, 12:41 AM
I thought of an idea to send a stock wheel to the same company that widens stock wheels and have them narrow it down instead to say an 18x7 or 18x6, put a 215 tire on there, and hopefully it'll fit in the spare tire well.

benh
01-19-06, 09:23 AM
Verbs, a full size wheel with tire will fit fine if it is flipped up-side down, cover still bolts on and is almost completely flat (very slight bulges at the edges, hardly noticeable, however); there are pics on here somewhere..do a search for "jack solutions" and you should find the pics along with part numbers for the standard CTS jack that will fit nicely in the up-side down wheel (thanks Reed, I beleive); that is my set up and it is great piece of mind especially on long trips

Harley Guy
01-19-06, 02:11 PM
Verbs, a full size wheel with tire will fit fine if it is flipped up-side down, cover still bolts on and is almost completely flat (very slight bulges at the edges, hardly noticeable, however); there are pics on here somewhere..do a search for "jack solutions" and you should find the pics along with part numbers for the standard CTS jack that will fit nicely in the up-side down wheel (thanks Reed, I beleive); that is my set up and it is great piece of mind especially on long trips

I did the same as Benh except for the CTS jack. I bought an inexpensive hydraulic jack and a lug telescoping lug wrench. All fit good.

50 4Ever
01-19-06, 02:27 PM
... and karma fearing me wonders why they've all been driver's rear.

The majority of things you pick up in your tires will be in the rear tires because the front tire will kick it up so it can stick in the rear tire.

I have non runflats on the Coevette and I just carry a compressor and a plug kit. I have over 50,000 miles on it in 3 years and have picked up a total of 4 screws. Never had to use the compressor or plug kit.