: 1992 Brougham security

caddieboy
01-18-06, 08:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the 1992 Brougham came standard with the key chip immobilizer. I know my 1990 Fleetwood came with it, and wondering if it was standard (or optional) on the 1992 Brougham.

Basically, any information on what kind of security came on the 1992 Brougham would be great. Might need to buy a unBRAKEable if those things work, or some other kind of portable prevention. Driving the car across country and not sure I could install come kind of electrical anti-theft myself in a short amount of time. Also, I'm not well versed on security systems.

Thanks in advance!!!

adhood219
01-19-06, 08:49 PM
I can't answer the first question. On my FWB I have the brake lock and a steering column collar. These Caddy's happen to be very easy to steal. You can pick up a Steering Column Collar for around $50-$75.

Oh yeah, I also have the Prestige APS996A Two Way Alarm. The more layers of security you have the better.

caddieboy
01-20-06, 11:41 AM
I can't answer the first question. On my FWB I have the brake lock and a steering column collar. These Caddy's happen to be very easy to steal. You can pick up a Steering Column Collar for around $50-$75.
Oh yeah, I also have the Prestige APS996A Two Way Alarm. The more layers of security you have the better.

Is the steering column collar permanent, or something you attach and remove each time? I'd hate to change the look of the car too much.

I've heard the brake locks can be removed fairly easily. I was hoping to get one even just as a deterrent.

What's the best way to avoid a tow-job? Back in? Front end first? This link confused me because I think it's the other way around for RWD that what's said here: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/crimeprevention/autotheft.php

I probably wouldn't be able to install an acorn thing for the trip through the Southern states then up to Canada. http://www.epinions.com/content_2811666564

What kind of brake thingy do you have? This guy didn't like his: http://www.epinions.com/content_3130368132

It's really tough to navigate this security stuff and find something reasonably portable.

It really sucks that the chip immobilizer was available on the 90 Fleetwood and not put in the 92 Broughams. Guess it was too much of an upgrade to the steering column.

adhood219
01-20-06, 02:47 PM
Is the steering column collar permanent, or something you attach and remove each time? I'd hate to change the look of the car too much.

I've heard the brake locks can be removed fairly easily. I was hoping to get one even just as a deterrent.

What's the best way to avoid a tow-job? Back in? Front end first? This link confused me because I think it's the other way around for RWD that what's said here: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/crimeprevention/autotheft.php

I probably wouldn't be able to install an acorn thing for the trip through the Southern states then up to Canada. http://www.epinions.com/content_2811666564

The steering column collar is a unit that you take off and on. It keeps the column shifter from shifting out of park, and it also covers the ignition ( which keeps the car from being peeled)

Here's a link to a website that sells them. http://www.ulohos.com/catalog/item/287345/91653.htm

Concerning the Brake Pedal Lock. It is not that easy to get off. The person who wrote that eopinions article might have installed the lock incorrectly.

If you think about it, a thief would have to first get through the column lock to start the car. (It is really hard for the average thief to do this) If he can get the car started he may be able to shift into drive (you don't have to press the brake to move the shifter) but he won't be able to stop the car due to the brake pedal lock. The brake pedal lock can be broken (www.clubbuster.com), but not without special tools. How many Cadillac theives carry all these tools.

As far a parking, I think you shoud park with the nose facing inwards. If a tow truck comes to get your car and lifts from the back the front tires will lock and a screeching sound will incur.

Bottom line, if a thief really wants your car he will get it. I would just make him work extra hard for it.

What kind of brake thingy do you have? This guy didn't like his: http://www.epinions.com/content_3130368132

It's really tough to navigate this security stuff and find something reasonably portable.

It really sucks that the chip immobilizer was available on the 90 Fleetwood and not put in the 92 Broughams. Guess it was too much of an upgrade to the steering column.

The steering column collar is a unit that you take off and on. It keeps the column shifter from shifting out of park, and it also covers the ignition ( which keeps the car from being peeled)

Here's a link to a website that sells them. http://www.ulohos.com/catalog/item/287345/91653.htm

Concerning the Brake Pedal Lock. It is not that easy to get off. The person who wrote that eopinions article might have installed the lock incorrectly.

If you think about it, a thief would have to first get through the column lock to start the car. (It is really hard for the average thief to do this) If he can get the car started he may be able to shift into drive (you don't have to press the brake to move the shifter) but he won't be able to stop the car due to the brake pedal lock. The brake pedal lock can be broken (www.clubbuster.com), but not without special tools. How many Cadillac theives carry all these tools.

As far a parking, I think you shoud park with the nose facing inwards. If a tow truck comes to get your car and lifts from the back the front tires will lock and a screeching sound will incur.

Bottom line, if a thief really wants your car he will get it. I would just make him work extra hard for it.

brougham
01-20-06, 06:31 PM
Does it already have the factory alarm? Why not just get a alarm put in before the trip? It's not a new car so you don't have to worry too much about getting it stolen but if you are that's what Id do.

That website is right about parking but if they actually have a tow truck just to steal your car that's not going to stop them from taking it anyway.

brougham
01-20-06, 06:37 PM

Uh no it won't. How are the wheels going to stop turning?

caddieboy
01-20-06, 07:07 PM

This Steerwheel column thing is great! I wish there was a place in California which had it. I couldn't find anything on it other site than the site you mentioned.

What year Brougham do you have it on? Mine would be for a 1992. Does the unit scratch the column at all, or does it fit nice with no harm?

I'm not sure about the towing. I'm getting a friend to explain it to me. It's apparently not as obvious as I expected.

caddieboy
01-20-06, 07:12 PM
Does it already have the factory alarm? Why not just get a alarm put in before the trip? It's not a new car so you don't have to worry too much about getting it stolen but if you are that's what Id do.

That website is right about parking but if they actually have a tow truck just to steal your car that's not going to stop them from taking it anyway.

Well, it's almost a new car. Kinda flashy white on white with the Gold Package and very new looking Vouges and only 40,000 on the odometer. So it looks like candy to theives as far as I can tell. Since it's an easy car to steal I just want some extra security.

As for whether or not it has the factory alarm, I have no idea. That's my question. I haven't picked up the car yet and was wondering if it had the computer chip immobilizer that came on my dad's 90 Fleetwood. I'm guessing not. BUt I do know some kind of security came on the car, just not sure what it is, how good it is, and how detterent it is if it even came standard on the 1992 Brougham.

adhood219
01-20-06, 08:43 PM
I've got a 1990 Brougham. Navy Blue. The steering column lock doesnot scratch your column. Just be careful taking it off or you will break your turn signal stalk.

Check Pep Boys or Advance Auto Parts. They have a steering column lock called the Lok It.

In my neighborhood they steal the newer Broughams for the Euro Front End.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/728000-728999/728171_19_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/728000-728999/728171_20_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/728000-728999/728171_18_full.jpg

caddieboy
01-20-06, 11:14 PM
I've got a 1990 Brougham. Navy Blue. The steering column lock doesnot scratch your column. Just be careful taking it off or you will break your turn signal stalk.

Check Pep Boys or Advance Auto Parts. They have a steering column lock called the Lok It.

In my neighborhood they steal the newer Broughams for the Euro Front End.

Thanks!!! If it fits your 90 Brougham, it would fit my 92 Brougham. Did you buy it from the place in Cinncinati you linked to?

Might get a Lok-Itt =o)

adhood219
01-20-06, 11:30 PM
I bought from this guy at a local locksmith's shop. Only cost me $40. Since your 92 is Fuel Injected, I would get the Prestige APS 996. If someone breaks into your car. The key fob will go off alerting you to the break in.(Allows you to grab the .50 cal Desert Eagle j/k) It is tells you which area of the car was affected. It also offers remote start with confirmation. Right around $400 installed.

brougham
01-21-06, 12:08 AM
Well, it's almost a new car. Kinda flashy white on white with the Gold Package and very new looking Vouges and only 40,000 on the odometer. So it looks like candy to theives as far as I can tell. Since it's an easy car to steal I just want some extra security.

As for whether or not it has the factory alarm, I have no idea. That's my question. I haven't picked up the car yet and was wondering if it had the computer chip immobilizer that came on my dad's 90 Fleetwood. I'm guessing not. BUt I do know some kind of security came on the car, just not sure what it is, how good it is, and how detterent it is if it even came standard on the 1992 Brougham.

So it's a nice car but it's still not a new one so it doesn't have much more of a chance of getting stolen then any other 1992 Cadillac. Like I said if you're really worried about it just get an alarm put in it before you drive it home. They had a factory alarm but it was optional so no-one can tell you if it has it or not unless they see the car.

Big_Blue
01-21-06, 12:20 AM

No way to avoid a tow job. I repo/tow cars for a living in the state of New Jersey. I dont care if the car is locked between 2 trees. I still get it. It doesnt matter if the car has no wheels and flat on the ground. I use a 10 ton winch which pulls them in regardless. I even yanked a Camper once.

Security alarms are only for keeping the petty thief from stealing your car with household tools but a real thief can take your car under 3 mins. I know cause I did 18months for the last time I took 5 mins for a BMW when I was in my early 20's.

RWD cars are the easiest cars to tow since the transmission cable is under the car where FWD are above the transaxle. All you need a is a screw drive to force the cable to N from P.Steering colum locks can be broken with a tire iron or good long cheata bar

caddieboy
01-21-06, 05:27 AM
No way to avoid a tow job. I repo/tow cars for a living in the state of New Jersey. I dont care if the car is locked between 2 trees. I still get it. It doesnt matter if the car has no wheels and flat on the ground. I use a 10 ton winch which pulls them in regardless. I even yanked a Camper once.

Security alarms are only for keeping the petty thief from stealing your car with household tools but a real thief can take your car under 3 mins. I know cause I did 18months for the last time I took 5 mins for a BMW when I was in my early 20's.

RWD cars are the easiest cars to tow since the transmission cable is under the car where FWD are above the transaxle. All you need a is a screw drive to force the cable to N from P.Steering colum locks can be broken with a tire iron or good long cheata bar

I'm well aware that any car can be stolen no matter what precautions are taken. The question is what measures one can take to protect themselves as well as possible. Also, the steering column lock only need to serve me for a week while I make my way home across the country, at which point I can add an immobilizer of some sort.

I'll definately park beside a Bimmer if I can. For someone who isn't deterred by a column lock, they'd probably opt for the Bimmer over a 92 Brougham. :D

caddieboy
01-21-06, 05:30 AM
So it's a nice car but it's still not a new one so it doesn't have much more of a chance of getting stolen then any other 1992 Cadillac. Like I said if you're really worried about it just get an alarm put in it before you drive it home. They had a factory alarm but it was optional so no-one can tell you if it has it or not unless they see the car.

I'm glad to know it was at least an option! Any details on what that option entails? It has the Gold Package and CD player, so maybe the original buyer opted for the optional security!

caddieboy
01-21-06, 05:43 AM
I bought from this guy at a local locksmith's shop. Only cost me $40. Since your 92 is Fuel Injected, I would get the Prestige APS 996. If someone breaks into your car. The key fob will go off alerting you to the break in.(Allows you to grab the .50 cal Desert Eagle j/k) It is tells you which area of the car was affected. It also offers remote start with confirmation. Right around $400 installed.

A buddy of mine said that you can get an amatuer theif scratching their head by just pulling the gas pump fuse. I'm not sure I like the idea of stalling the car each time. I'd rather avoid that if possible. Not a bad idea though. Maybe there's another fuse I could pull. :)

I don't really want remote start or too many bells and whistles. Just a nice simble immobilizer will do me fine. :D