: how many days til fill up

PMOORE-V
01-18-06, 12:33 PM
How many days past before you have to fill up again? I drive an A4 v6 now. I fill up on Sunday and back on Thursday.

I am planning on buying an 04 CTS-V and have done my research from the radiator, diff, radio buttons peeling, electrical problems to the wheel-hop issues (did i forget something). I just read something about the gas guage falling fast after 1/4 mark.

DrivingAmericanNow
01-18-06, 12:59 PM
First, is it a quattro? Second, which V6; the 2.7 or the 2.8? Quattro sucks gas, and the 2.7 is thirstier than the 2.8.

If you're running a 2.7Q you'll find the mileage on the V to be very similar. I've had my fair share of Audis, and I've never met a quattro that did particularly well on gas.

My S6 quattro 2.2 I-5 averaged about 23mpg, my A4 quattro 1.8 got about 26mpg, and my 90 sport quattro 2.8 got about 24mpg.

So far, I average about 20 with the V. Not too shabby for twice the horsepower.

VELOSE
01-18-06, 01:05 PM
Trying to guage what kind of gas mileage you're going to get by measuring it on how many days it'll take to fill it up again is not going to get you anywhere. What I can share is the information you can find on www.cadillacfaq.com.

MPG (city / hwy / combined)
15 / 23 / 18

Fuel tank (gal / L):
17.5 / 66.2

So....if you average 18mpg x 17.5 gallons = 315 miles of total distance before empty. Most likely you will fill up a couple of gallons before empty so take away 36 miles from the total. How many miles do you drive daily? Divide that by how many miles you will get out of the tank. That will tell you approximately how many days before filling up.

Seattle CTS-V
01-18-06, 01:44 PM
I really don't now how you guys are getting 20mpg in the V. I mean, I can get an 'instant' mpg of 20 if I'm driving on the highway in 6th gear at 60mph. But I still have to drive in the city once in a while and that brings my average (over 9000 miles) to 14.5mpg.

Luna.
01-18-06, 01:58 PM
I seem to get the best gas mileage if I'm driving on the freeway, in 6th gear, doing aronud 75-80mph. If I drove to, say, Vegas, I could get 20+ MPG if I did that, but how often are we driving on the freeway on a tank of gas non-stop?

I average about 17ish MPG, but that is only if I'm trying to get good gas mileage (which is often).

I can get really pathetic gas mileage (10 or less) if I mat the accelerator a few too many times (curse Maggie...)

StealthV
01-18-06, 02:00 PM
On the daily commute, my V gets 12 - 14 mpg over a week's time.

My wife driving the exact same route in the V and she gets 20+ mpg average.

The right foot and brain controls all.

Baby it and it'll get excellent fuel economy.

Blow the doors off that Corvette on the way into work and pay the price. :)

Seattle CTS-V
01-18-06, 02:13 PM
Blow the doors off that Corvette on the way into work and pay the price. :)

That must be my problem. I just love hearing the exhaust sing in the upper rpms's.

CIWS
01-18-06, 02:24 PM
I'm averaging 14-16mpg with 98-99% of that in the city off the highways. 13.5 if I stomp it regularly or 16 if I mostly drive "normal"
One thing I have noted though, the car's computer registering how much fuel is used is pretty damn accurate on my car. I can check that at the pump and know how much to pre-pay and are usually right on the money.

DrivingAmericanNow
01-18-06, 02:24 PM
Really, I do average right about 20 mpg, but 90% of my driving is highway.

If I drive very strategically, I can push that to about 23, but it's really annoying so I only do it when I'm trying to prove it can be done. You know, 4th gear at 10-mph, 5th at 20-mph and 6th at 30-mph, upshift at rediculously low RPMs, foot off the gas at all costs........etc...

I've also noticed that the car gets a big boost in MPG when you run between 75-85 in 6th gear. That's the sweet spot, no doubt.

PMOORE-V
01-18-06, 02:37 PM
I drive an average of 50-60 miles daily. About 300 - 350 a week, depending on which car i take on the weekends. i average about 4 days before i go back and fill up. it costs me $35 - $37. i know with the V that will increase.

i did a search and saw the mpg. i just want to know whats the average on days til fill up. is it 3, 4, 5 days? i know everyone drives differently, fast, slow or cruising. i'm probably in the fast group.

DansCTSV
01-18-06, 02:45 PM
:bonkers: You are kidding right? :bonkers:

I have gone about 75 days since my last fill up. :bonkers: I must get really good mileage. :histeric:

Let me guess, math isn't your strong point.

Luna.
01-18-06, 03:16 PM
I've also noticed that the car gets a big boost in MPG when you run between 75-85 in 6th gear. That's the sweet spot, no doubt.

I agree 100%.

I find it humorous that we've been subjected to propaganda for YEARS suggesting that we need to drive slower to save gas, when in reality, many cars get better gas mileage driving faster...

What a joke...

DrivingAmericanNow
01-18-06, 03:17 PM
:bonkers: You are kidding right? :bonkers:

:banghead: You're right, this is a silly thread. Asking how many days between fill-ups, is like asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of your tootsie roll. (Three.............)

Seriously, I haven't put a drop of gas in my V for almost two months. But I don't drive it in the winter, so does that count? :bomb:

And yes, the Hotchkis will definately give you another day or two between tanks. :histeric:

willsctsv
01-18-06, 03:29 PM
Who buys this car and has gas mileage as a concern. I'm lucky if I get 10 miles per gallon. However, I do get many more :woohoo: per Gallon!

GOTTSPD
01-18-06, 03:40 PM
this makes me feel much better... I average somewhere about 11-12MPG, however, I drive 6 miles each way to work, so I rarely get up to highway speed and its not sustained for long. I also love the sound of my mod'd exhaust! I don't get much more than 200 miles per tankful... :thumbsup: Its my way of helping the economy!

Who buys this car and has gas mileage as a concern. I'm lucky if I get 10 miles per gallon. However, I do get many more :woohoo: per Gallon!

DrivingAmericanNow
01-18-06, 03:56 PM

:yeah: :highfive: :banana: :dance: :musical: :2thumbs: :band: :cheers:

sorry, I love these little guys

PMOORE-V
01-18-06, 04:05 PM
nah...math is not a requirement in my profession

DrivingAmericanNow
01-18-06, 04:16 PM
nah...math is not a requirement in my profession

Hey, you don't need math to drive the V, just cash and cojones. Go buy one. It's not going to be all that much worse (MPG wise) than your Audi, and it's a whole buttload more fun. Don't take any of this personally, it can be a rough crowd. Just go get a V, you'll love it. :grouphug:

VELOSE
01-18-06, 05:02 PM
Then tell us which day of the week you fill up and what day the tank goes empty for you. That'll be a good indication how long our gas will last too.:duck: :crybaby:

alcast082
01-18-06, 05:23 PM
I fill up on monday and go empty on tuesday, sometimes it lasts me a whole week , or sometimes I drive my other car so it lasts me more than a week,
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Oh wait there was a time when I put gas on friday and ran out that same night, Had to call someone to bring me a gas can. that sucked.
:hide:
My gas gauge is all over the place, but what i do know is that my average mpg is 15 that is 30% street and stopped in traffic and 70% flying on the highway:cloud9:

BadCad
01-18-06, 05:57 PM
i shift around 3k rpm and cruise in 3rd gear usually around town and on freeways i stay in 5th at 60-65mph. my average is around 16mpg surface streets. at ~80mph i'll shift into 6th and will get in the low 20's mpg on long trips. if i like to hear the corsa, my mpg drops....

cts-v ls6
01-18-06, 09:23 PM
Some of you guys may want to get a tune. DTE dyno tune allows me to use 87 octane. In town mpg is around 17, combined 20.3, highway, 6th gear, no wind, 75 mph, 25.3 mpg. I've passed 50k miles last week, so these figures are pretty accurate. And yes, I beat the cubes as required. Just found out from a Crane cams post on another site that running a 165 deg F thermostat (which I have) can hurt mileage by as much as 4 mpg! The lower temp thermo also reduces the thermal efficiency of the LS6, hurting hp. My stock thermo is going back in as soon as I can let go of the car to the shop. Keep the inlet air as cool as possible, but keep the engine operating temp as hot as possible--within the parameters of the LS6.

Jack

GT04CTS-V
01-18-06, 10:13 PM
I know I'm gonna here it - so what - here goes. I get 23 mpg average on my V. I drive 73 highway miles one way to work. I drive the V to work at most, once every two or three months. I usually fill up the tank on the V every two months.

The rest of the time, I drive my beater to work.

;)

GT

BeagleBrains
01-18-06, 11:12 PM
Minutes, hours, days, or a week... Time has little to do with fill-up interval, unless your driving routine is gnats-ass constant week to week.
The on board computer calculations are accurate only for the fraction of a second that you view the display.
Fill the tank. Drive. Fill the tank. Trip-to-fill miles divided by the gallons added equals very accurate MPG. My wife and I average 15+ MPG with mostly in city driving. A little lead foot driving drops that number significantly. The standard in our house is to always refill at no lower than the half mark. Unsafe to test the accuracy of the empty indicator, especially when the Iowa winter is zero degrees fahrenheit with a 30 mph wind.
I filled the gas tank, took a highway trip, and refilled. 26.5 MPG
Highway driving usually around 70, of course in 6th gear, we have obtained an average ~26 MPG on many an occassion. (~ = approximately) I consider this an accurate measure if the trip is more than 150 miles of highway driving.

arr0gant
01-18-06, 11:20 PM
10.5 for me. Mostly city driving. Yes, I DRIVE my car. I think I fill it up about 7 or 8 times a day.:thepan:

wildwhl
01-18-06, 11:26 PM
I'm about 15 mpg total average (mostly city driving) with very heavy lead in the right foot and a maggie that is thirsty all the time :lildevil:

DaveBlk
01-18-06, 11:59 PM
Why in the world is this even a thread.. ????? IF your mileage is even a concern in this car theres only one answer!!!!!>>>>>>>> GO BUY A PONTIAC VIBE or a KIA or any other ecobox..:cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: I didn 't even wonder what the car got for MPG> CTS- V START DRIVE ENJOY !!! :stirpot:

wildwhl
01-19-06, 01:42 AM
Trust me, tires cost far more than gas :D

DaveBlk
01-19-06, 01:58 AM
Your right on my 3rd set in 15000 miles . OOOOOOHHHHHH but GM says the winter set don't count.:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: