: The '06 Diff Sings to Me?

ace996
01-17-06, 11:07 PM
How I hate to bring this to light, but my new '06 diff is starting to whine. Either that or something else is making a funky noise, just like the diff whine.

It happens in 5th or 6th gear, just shy of 3K rpms...with throttle applied, foot to floor or just lightly steady cruise...off throttle-NO WHINE.

I recently had my waterpump/thermo swapped out, because the TSB for it explains a similar issue....didn't fix it.

There's also another TSB describing my issue, relates to the tranny...but my mechanic said the driveshaft is aligned. They're stumped, and don't know what to do...so nothing gets done. I'm already over the 30 day Lemon Law issue and have nothing to lose if I bring it in and have them look at it.

Anyone else with the '06 diff whining? or any other howl/hoot in 5th/6th gear around 2800rpm?

Thanks all,
ace

Florian
01-17-06, 11:10 PM
oh yeah Ace, you got the whine alright.....

<sung to AC/DC "shes got the Jack>

"She gave me the diff, she was drivin' so fine, how was I to know
SHES GOT THE WHINE!!! --and it sings
SHES GOT THE WHINE, --man it stings
shes got the whine, whine, whine, whine, whine...shes got the whine..

Sorry Ace, time to go aftermarket.

F

kjr39
01-17-06, 11:11 PM
/raises hand.

Getting replaced next week.

ace996
01-17-06, 11:13 PM
Lemon Lawyer $3K....Aftermarket Differential$??????

This sucks.....
-ace

wildwhl
01-18-06, 12:15 AM
Ace -

When either of my diffs whined (and to be fair, I've recently noticed a very, very slight whine in my diff since going back to modified stock exhaust - but it is so slight I can and will live with it) the whine was most noticable 4th gear 40-46mph, light acceleration AND deceleration (more on accel). Above or below that range, the whine was gone (did it in other gears as well).

Still running stock diff fluid? Might I suggest a swap (sweet talk the dealer into it?)?

heavymetals
01-18-06, 12:38 AM
Hey WW!

I am more interested in finding out what is wrong with your maggie.:eek:

naiculnila
01-18-06, 07:43 AM
Lemon Lawyer $3K....Aftermarket Differential$??????

This sucks.....
-ace

Apologize for the highjack....but aren't lemon lawyers free? I thought the manufacturer paid for all that if a lawyer decided they had a case.?

CTSV05
01-18-06, 08:34 AM
Ace, our '06 has had a whine since the 400 mi mark. I shared this info then and have kept updating.

The whine is only at cruise/steady state driving in the 40 mph range.

It has remained constant and has not worsened. We now have over 3K on the diff. I am about ready for a fluid change, and will do so as I'll be under there finish fitting the new kits.

Joey'sVee
01-18-06, 08:41 AM
My 04 has the 06 diff and my whine is around 45 MPH only with a light pull.

Kadonny
01-18-06, 09:03 AM
So is the whine really all that loud and bothersome or is it just a faint whine.

willsctsv
01-18-06, 09:06 AM
Hey Ace, I have been whining. With 11K on my 2nd DIff. It seemed to quiet down a little. You also have been in my car and heard the exhaust so It may be covered up by the B&B. In all honesty I think it has quieted down. It used to be loudset between 45-60 mph. I don't hear any whining over 85 :lildevil: , which is where the V luv's to be!

verbs
01-18-06, 12:05 PM
I have an 06 diff and I don't hear any whine at all through 1800 of beatin the piss out of it. Then again my stereo is usually so loud I couldn't hear an atom bomb go off in my trunk :D

moldowan
01-18-06, 03:28 PM
'06 diff 600 miles
Had whine since 400 miles just like the big guy had as well
-moldy

ace996
01-18-06, 07:19 PM
Apologize for the highjack....but aren't lemon lawyers free? I thought the manufacturer paid for all that if a lawyer decided they had a case.?

Yeah...only if you win. One could go it alone, in arbitration, but sometimes it pays to have an experienced shark on your side....ask O.J., he knows.

Back to the singing...
The whine isn't that bad, I don't really mind it and sometimes I just imagine that I have a six-cylinder car with a supercharger. I just wonder how long it can go without giving-up....just my luck it'd be the day after my warrantee expires.
-ace

wildwhl
01-18-06, 10:35 PM
Hey WW!

I am more interested in finding out what is wrong with your maggie.:eek:

:canttalk: Hopefully nothing, but might as well improve some things while I'm at it. How many head bolts are there again :bomb: