: The new diff

Joey'sVee
01-17-06, 11:14 PM
Will the new diff be cast iron? Also will it be live axal? Seems like we would need the answer to both questions to be yes. :cool2:

I would think it would be both, but I'm a dumbass :cool: so if the answer to either of the above questions is no can you explain why. :hmm:

Thanks for the help!!! :highfive:

Florian
01-17-06, 11:56 PM
housing is aluminum, live axle? like indep.rear? yes, according to MM it will be the same as our current V. Iron, no need, that friggin housing should take a landmine its so thick.

F

heavymetals
01-17-06, 11:58 PM
Live rear axels do not lend themselves well to independant rear suspensions.

As for cast iron............

Joey'sVee
01-18-06, 12:09 AM
The live axal would eliminate wheel hop and the cast iron would take more of a beating...our current rear is aluminum.

heavymetals
01-18-06, 12:19 AM
It would also turn a real nice road car into a stoplight to stoplight car.

Whatever floats your boat.

And don't count on someone investing in a cast iron mold for the limited # of rear ends for the V one is gonna sell.

Parker
01-18-06, 02:16 AM
The center is billet aluminum, with bad ass half shafts, and he has a revision to eliminate the wheel hop all together.

ewill3rd
01-18-06, 08:05 AM
The Corvette rear is made of aluminum. The real problem is inside the case, not so much the case itself.
I wouldn't be so sure that Cast iron would hold up better either.
I am no scientist but it seems with the alloys we have these days that they can make some pretty strong really light stuff.

I haven't taken one of these units apart yet so I can't really tell you where the problem lies.
If I had to guess I'd say this is maybe more of a leakage problem than anything. I might try to start a little private study of my own if I can remember.

Joey'sVee
01-18-06, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. I was just curious on this.

What wil need to be modified to get this to fit. The exhuast, I assume and what else?

madman69
01-18-06, 01:47 PM
The exhaust is the only thing that will be modified. Everything else is a bolt in. You can remove all my parts and put the stock junk back in.

Joey'sVee
01-18-06, 05:25 PM
Sounds awesome!!!

BadCad
01-18-06, 05:48 PM
mm69:

The exhaust is the only thing that will be modified
How so? Those of us with B&B or Corsa, etc.; we need modification of these to make this diff fit?

Joey'sVee
01-19-06, 09:52 AM
Yes!