: STS Tranny trouble

STS al UK
01-17-06, 09:44 PM
Hi all, i am a new member to this forum and have been reading it with interest in the last few weeks to help me buy a STS.
Finally I have a beutiful red 96 STS here in England, its a left hand drive but euro spec car that has been looked after by the main dealer from new regardless of cost.
A good one then I thought :yup: ... well actually it was (for 4 days).
Then the trouble... it seddenly seemed to have less gears than it should have and when revved to about 4000rpm was only doing 45 mph (felt like it wanted to change up but would'nt).
Thankful for this website I checked the fault codes and came up with P0758 (2-3 Shift solenoid electrical). I called the dealer and they said they needed to put it on the machine for proper diagnosis.
They called me back and told me it needed a new shift solenoid in the tranny NO!!! really? :cookoo: .
I told them to go ahead and do it and after 3 days and a 400 (about $700) they called me and said that the car was still the same as the solenoid had broken up and damaged other parts of the tranny and a new one was needed.
Car has done 138k and been well cared for.
Just wondered if anyone on here has any thoughts or ideas before I go and get the used tranny I just found in my freinds breakers yard or before I go completely mad cos I cant get a shop manual :banghead: .
Thanks in advance ... al (sorry for writing a novel there lol)

Ranger
01-17-06, 10:17 PM
$700 to replace shift solenoids? Holy ripoff, Batman! There are TWO (A & B) shift solenoids. Did they R & R them both?

STS al UK
01-18-06, 07:41 PM
They only replaced the affected one along with new tranny fluid and gaskets, oh and confirmed what the OBD11 told me by putting it on their machine.
They also said that thye solonoid had broken down and parts of it were circulating in the trans fluid and had caused other damage that they could not locate.
They then told me they can supply a new transaxle for 3000UK (approx $5300Us) plus fitting and plus tax.:bonkers: ( then again this is ENGLAND and that is the official cadillac dealership here in the uk)
I have so far found a good transaxle for 400 in a breakers so that is a good option, just waiting on a factory shop manual so I can get the car in my garage now.

STS al UK
01-18-06, 08:47 PM
Oh yeah... forgot to say, the first time this fault showed up I had the hood up in the rain for about a half hour, and the second time it showed up was after a jet wash (it stayed faulty after that).
It may be a coincidence but it may be something obvious, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas or advice I would very much apreciate it.
Also... where is the PCM?? the dealer and local US car service garage tells me it is in the gearbox but reading about faulty connections and stuff on here makes me think it may be elswhere.... anyone help?
Worked on my own cars all my life but only ever really had 60's and 70's muscle cars so I'm a bit out of my depth with all this electronic stuff lol.:confused:

Ranger
01-18-06, 09:33 PM
Usually when you replace a shift solenoid, you replace both of them. The pick up screens in the trans should have stopped any particles from traveling anywhere and doing any damage. Their explanations do not instill confidence in me.

PCM is locted under the air filter box. It is put there so that it is cooled by intake air. More confidence instilling information. :rolleyes:

Since it seems to be moisture related, check all the electrical connections to be sure the weather seals are intact and tight.

STS al UK
01-19-06, 07:11 PM
My thoughts exactly... if you cant trust your main dealer its worth trying it yourself.
Many thanks for that info, at least I have something I can try until my workshop manual arrives.
Ordered it today so hopefully will get it early next week.
I will keep updating in here.

STS al UK
01-20-06, 09:27 PM
Wow another day and more confusion... decided to take the STS out earlier this evening just to have a little local cruise (even though I still have no overdrive I have to have my driving fix).
Once the engine was warm I suddenly remembered that it is apparently good to give em a good WOT'ing now and again. WHAAAAA I forgot how good that felt :getaway: , but... even better... she went into top gear, even when I came off the throttle she stayed acting like a normal car again.
Well for about a quarter of a mile and then back to fault mode again :( .
Got home and did a diagnostic check and now I have a RS0038 code up... I pretty sure that this is nothing to do with the original fault but its another thing I dont need right now (probably thousands to fix this one too) I am slowly losing faith in my STS now.

Now I really am banging my head against the wall, gonna check all my connections tomorrow (while Iam waiting for the shop manual to arrive):banghead:
By the way, do you think this ok to run all of this in here like a diary or is it a waste of forum space??? (personally I find the old threads like this of help)

vzp38w
01-23-06, 03:02 PM
STS al UK,
Do you know what Tranny you have? I think it's a 4T80e? Do you still need a manual?

zonie77
01-23-06, 05:55 PM
The solenoids will often "stick" before breaking. They did you wrong when they only replaced one. The other one was just as old. Do they only replace 1 brake pad at a time? If they used the GM kit is came with both.

Ranger is correct...the pieces should have been in the pan. I wouldn't worry about them now.

Here's a link to info on changing the solenoids.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40330

STS al UK
01-23-06, 06:37 PM
Not sure what tranny I have yet but I have now found a shop manual through a great contact over here in England called AMERICAN AUTO MAGS, I am just waiting for it to arrive and then my caddy will be in the garage in bits lol :D .
As far as I know they only spoke of changing the faulty solenoid but I will call em tomorrow and check that, they did say that the fluid that came out was heavilly contaminated with particles from the solenoid but stragely enough I was'nt shown the fluid.
The car is now showing no fault codes apart from EXP106 when driving which as you probably know indicates a fault within the PCM, and as you have probably read aslo... this fault appeard after the car was given a thorough jet washing, could be a coincidence I know but there could be something in it too.
Will discover more when I get the manual, may try a pcm of another car if it is possible to just swap them over.
Thanks for the info guys... I appreaciate it.

Ranger
01-23-06, 07:29 PM
I have never had the need to change a solenoid but as I recall the kit comes with 2 solenoids AND a bracket to hold them in place, which prevents them from breaking again. Was the bracket installed?

zonie77
01-23-06, 08:06 PM
To clarify: You can order individual solenoids or you can order the kit which has both + the filter bracket. The kit is the correct way to fix it.

STS al UK
01-23-06, 08:15 PM
Well its definately gonna be a word with the dealership tomorrow, now that I am armed with all the info... I need some answers.
The invoice just details parts and labour but doesn't really specify what... Thanks again guys.

STS al UK
01-24-06, 08:20 PM
Spoke to the dealer today and had my suspitions confirmed... They only changed the solenoid that was faulty and when they put it back together it was still the same so they decided that the car needs a new transmission.
They actually told me that they did not know of any kit available (and these are the authorised GM dealer). Does anyone by any chance know a part number for the solenoid kit and if it is a GM part or aftermarket part?? Thanks.

Ranger
01-24-06, 10:43 PM
I think this may be it. 24211355. I got it off the rockauto online catalogue.

ghser7
01-24-06, 11:55 PM
OK I'm having the same type of shifting problems with my '00 DeVille. Would the soleniod kit be the same for the deville? TIA

Ranger
01-25-06, 01:00 PM
Yes. All Northstars are teamed up with the 4T80E transmission. There are two different final drive ratios but, other than that they are all the same.

ghser7
01-25-06, 04:58 PM
Thanks....hopes it drives fine til I can change it out.

zonie77
01-25-06, 05:31 PM
The early 4L80E's didn't have the bracket to hold the filter in. If the rubber seal shrunk it would let the filter shift and hit the solenoids. The kit is for the early trans. I am not sure but 93-96 sounds right.
Once the factory installed the bracket you didn't need the kit and could just change the solenoids.

STS al UK
01-25-06, 07:50 PM
Thanks once again for the info, the part number looks good, hopefully gonna check it out and then give em some s**t tomorrow, The equivalent of $700 to fit a $18.00 part is really getting to me now... especially when the full kit is only $53.00.
Even after uk import duty and tax that is only about $100 and if it is true what most people say on her that the parts only take about 2 hours to fit then thats $300 an hour for labour............ JEEEEEEEEEEEEES we gettin ripped off over here in England. :bonkers:
No wonder the STS was'nt a big seller over here.

therodman
01-28-06, 03:03 PM
I recently had the same problem amd the garage I took it to hooked up a scanner and said it didn't show the solenoid problem like I was telling him. It was just starting to go bad so it didn't do it all the time, he drove it and it finally failed after about 30 minutes, wouldn't go into high gear and evntually like it was in neutral. Anyhow, reluctantly he took the pan off and said everything looked good but I had him change the solenoids anyway, also made sure they installed the bracket that came with the solenoids. I believe maybe one of the old solenoids was moving and touching something without having a bracket which shorted it out causing the problem because he claimed he ohmed out the solenoids and they were good. It was open so I insisted they install the new parts and it has never given me a problem since, maybe 6 months and 8k miles ago. Don't want to hurt your feelings but I had called a few garages first and this oen did the work, parts included for $250 US. Besides the solenoids they claim they installed a new gasket and of course new fluid so I thought that was a pretty fair price.:thumbsup:

STS al UK
01-28-06, 07:35 PM
Thanks Rodman, sounds exactly like my problem and now I know they only replaced the one solenoid I am convinced that that is the solution.
Hopefully going to get the pan off mine early next week and see if mine has the L bracketand then if not I will order a kit and hopefully that will cure it.

cadman59
01-29-06, 03:49 PM
reference GM Bulletin #77-71-73 It deals with the solenoid kit. transmissions SOP(1993) thru 1996 Julian build date 047 need the entire kit because the pressure control solenoid screen would blow out and usually break a shift solenoid.
According to the bulletin 1996 transmissions after that date and all 1997 &1998 trans can be serviced with individual parts as needed. It does not address 1999 up.
Lance

STS al UK
01-31-06, 05:42 AM
Another question before I pull it apart... Does anyone know where I can find the julian build code for my transmission??? :confused:

STS al UK
01-31-06, 11:04 AM
Ignore that last post... my shop manual just arrived so I know where to find the code now.

STS al UK
02-10-06, 06:34 PM
Well I finally opened up the trans on my STS and found it was built on 12/12/95 and had no L bracket installed.
I ordered the kit that everyone had mentioned and installed it (two shiny new solenoids, a new filter and a L bracket to hold it in).
A messy job but straighforward thanks to all the info and advice I got on here.
Just been out for a test drive and all is perfect again:bouncy: .
I would like to express many thanks to all who posted above, I really cant thank you all enough :worship: .
Think I gonna go for another drive lol:woohoo:

ghser7
02-10-06, 07:30 PM
congrats on the fix.

was it fairly easy to do?

STS al UK
02-10-06, 09:05 PM
Depends on what you mean by "fairly easy"... if you are mechanically minded it aint to bad a job its just very messy but for an ameture it would maybe be a little daunting (although not impossible as long as you read all the available info you can get ya hands on).
The links posted above and the diagrams available on the links are exellent, also I invested in a GM workshop manual too and that too is a very good source of reference.
I learned a few good lessons tho... 1.dont always think that your cadillac dealer is an expert.
2. take notice of good advice on here... then read and check it and read and check it again as you work (lots of bolts are different sizes... make note of where you got them from).
3. when you first take your tranny to bits just remember... it aint as scary as it looks inside.
If ya need any info let me know... I have loads of it now lol.
Oh did I mention.... my STS is great again? lol :banana:

STS al UK
02-10-06, 09:58 PM
Went back out for a long(ish) drive, eventually ended up on the freeway(motorway here in the uk) and remembered to try and do a W.O.T:getaway: .
WOW.. hit 125 and thought oops I better behave now ... how fast do these things go??? lol

ghser7
02-10-06, 11:55 PM
Depends on what you mean by "fairly easy"... if you are mechanically minded it aint to bad a job its just very messy but for an ameture it would maybe be a little daunting (although not impossible as long as you read all the available info you can get ya hands on).
The links posted above and the diagrams available on the links are exellent, also I invested in a GM workshop manual too and that too is a very good source of reference.
I learned a few good lessons tho... 1.dont always think that your cadillac dealer is an expert.
2. take notice of good advice on here... then read and check it and read and check it again as you work (lots of bolts are different sizes... make note of where you got them from).
3. when you first take your tranny to bits just remember... it aint as scary as it looks inside.
If ya need any info let me know... I have loads of it now lol.
Oh did I mention.... my STS is great again? lol :banana:

Yeah pretty much after motor swaps, tranny swap, etc i consider myself mechanically inclined. thanks for the info.

STS al UK
02-16-06, 10:50 PM
Well here we go with an update (probably not much use to you USA guys but definatley a word of wisdom for the UK guys on here).
Firstly a message to ghser7... go for it, this job will be easy for you if ya have a shop manual or if ya download the info in this forum.
NOW THE SERIOUS STUFF (UK USERS TAKE NOTE).

The above thread started because I bought a car that I have wanted for a very long time, it was unlucky for me that when I got one that the transmission let me down in the first week, I wont go into detail because that has already been covered.

However....... after I fixed the car my self I contacted the dealer that did the 1st job (YES.. that will be the dealer that only did half a job and has no idea of any technichal service bullitins concerning your car). I explained to them on the phone that I was not happy with there service and I feel that they have charged me 400 ($700) for no reason.
I explained that they should have known that this car was subject to a TSB in jan 98 and so they should have acted acordingly.. on the day that I complained they said they would have a manager call me back.... 3 days later I still wait by the phone (hence this post on here).
This UK GM (USA) dealer claims to be the only dealer in the uk and are based in north west england (I am not going to name them but I am probably going to leave a revue of them elsewhere on here and will never use them again).
I will say one thing though to the dealer with the same initials as a well known shifter company... I will not forget the bad service in a hurry, nor will I ever use this dealer again.
Cant name names at the mo on my solicitors advice.:thepan: