: 2 Irritating issues 06 cts-v

SwampFox
01-17-06, 02:59 PM
I remember reading rants on these two issues last year, but cannot find them again to see if there were solutions. Can anyone give me clues?

1. A week ago the V was dead. No juice going into the car at all. When I jumped it, something reset and it all came back. The display echoed a message saying to check the security system and the security idiot light on the dash stayed lit. By the time I got to the dealer late afternoon, the idiot light was off. Dealer could not find code indicating a problem. It has been fine since.

2. On the way to work this morning, the XM radio quit and I got a "no Signal" message on the display. Switched to fm which had static and a poor signal then to CD which after about a 30 second delay started playing. XM was then back.

Anyone know what's up?

SwampFox

dqw1
01-17-06, 03:26 PM
Not sure about 2.
#1 I had my battery replaced under warranty. It died 3 times. The last time it did I called Roadside assistance. I wanted a record of this through a thirdparty. The tow company jumped it at no charge but at least I had some kind of paper trail for the service department.
Can believe they still have those bad battery's out there still.

James Baldwin
01-17-06, 04:27 PM
I am having the same issue with my 06. The XM will just cut out and switch to FM radio. I have to turn the car off and restart it to get the XM to come back on. The dealership thinks I am craxy because I cannot get it to do the same thing when it is in the shop.

The other issue I have is the exit seat position... Sometimes it goes back when you open the door - sometimes not (emergency brake always set first) . And sometimes it does not reset itself to the driving position (even with the same key fab).

Plus it has the sloppiest damn shifter in the world... I plan to search the forum for the best short shifter suggestions later.

Skeeter
01-17-06, 05:50 PM
Yes, this happened to my '05 as well. But oddly, only on the first day of ownership. I let her rest overnight, and the next day XM was back. Strange, but it never happened again. Perhaps a temporary problem?

Skeeter

CIWS
01-17-06, 06:50 PM
I am having the same issue with my 06. The XM will just cut out and switch to FM radio. I have to turn the car off and restart it to get the XM to come back on. The dealership thinks I am craxy because I cannot get it to do the same thing when it is in the shop.

If it does it again try video taping it while it's not functioning and show that proof to them. A video camera or digital camera capable of video has saved me a few times now with "random" issues (not the V though).

ewill3rd
01-17-06, 07:52 PM
If XM says "no signal" then it's a reception problem, you lost your line of sight to a satellite or you lost your ground repeater (if you live in a metropolitan area).
If XM completely disappears from your radio you could have a loose connection or a bad receiver. Duplication is the key for diagnosis so pay attention to the details.

Dead batteries can be caused by lots of stuff.
If it happens again you'll likely need to get it checked out.
They could do a parasitic load test and test the battery but I would be willing to bet money they won't find anything.

Ziplicon Tuesday
01-17-06, 09:01 PM
As has been said, "No signal" is normal - happens even to the best GPS equipment. However, if you lose XM completely - as in it's no longer even on the screen but FM/AM is, that isn't normal.

I've had the issue with my 05 since the summer. I've had it into the dealer (worthless) and they're going to remove and trouble shoot it next time (if I can bare the thought of them removing it and causing rattles or whatever - they suck). Anyway, for what it's worth...it seems worse in the hot weather and it takes turning the car off (not just the radio) for 3 - 5 minutes for it to reset. It comes back after re-starting the vehicle.

It's as if the satellite communication uplink is unsucessful when starting the car sometimes. It never "disappears" like this while driving with XM on, it's always upon starting - XM just ain't there. There seems to be a built in time delay after switching ignition off for a reset to occur.

It's possible it's not a problem with the unit itself, perhaps it's related to an interlock of sorts that's triggered by the ignition - just guessing here. Next time it happens I want to see if the NAV is missing as well.

James Baldwin
01-17-06, 09:26 PM
On mine, the XM completely disappears and does you cannot switch to XM at all... I actually have not seent he "no signal" issue and I am pretty use to that from my last vehicle with XM.

Interesting idea on the video option.. it was better than my idea of smashing it with a baseball bat and then telling the dealer it somehow imploded.

CIWS
01-17-06, 10:25 PM
Interesting idea on the video option.. it was better than my idea of smashing it with a baseball bat and then telling the dealer it somehow imploded.

HAHA- Do that with the bat and then tell them the Sat. rcvr must have confused a U.S. Military Predator RPV when it malfunctioned and they fired a missile at it....

SwampFox
01-18-06, 10:46 AM
James, Get a UUC short Shifter. You won't be sorry. There are lots of posts on the subject and instructions on Reed's cadillacfaq.com. I assume you have already installed Stealth's iCAGS???

I like the video camera option CIWS (though a still pic would also work) but the day I leave the camera at home the XM will quit. What bothers me about loss of signal ewill3rd, is the fact that neither the CD player or FM worked while the condition existed. Once the CD player started again, XM was back full strength and so was FM.
I'm in the IT business and I am familiar with electronic quirks, so I will wait to see if it happens again and hope I have the camera in the car.

Any feedback on the no start condition ewill3rd? Have you had that happen at Lindsay?
Swampfox

ewill3rd
01-18-06, 02:48 PM
I have had a couple with parasitic loads, but I only remember one had a bad antenna module.
I have seen some bad batteries but like I said the only way to know anything is to actually make sure the battery is up to 100% and then start testing.
I haven't seen anything consistent or out of the ordinary on these.
I know if they sit for a long time it gets worse.

Are you saying the whole radio quit working and the only thing wrong on the display was it said "no signal" on XM?

SwampFox
01-18-06, 04:52 PM
It was weird because I was in a spot I traditionally stop and never have radio problems. I heard a light snap, and XM stopped. That's when I got the message. I tried FM and the station was there but had static. Then I switched to CD and it was silent for about 30 seconds and then started playing (It was not changing disks, just sitting there. Track time was not advancing) Suddenly it started playing and I switched to the tuner. XM was back and FM was fine.