: I rear ended a car :-(

Rickerbucks
01-17-06, 12:43 PM
Well just coming to visit my friends to cry in my beer. I rear ended a car today. Nobody to blame but myself for a fraction of a second of a lapse in concentration in heavy tarffic. No injuries to the two cars in front of me. Infact my air bag did NOT go off although the damage to me looks very significant.

Drivers side front hurt badly. Going to be expensive. The car in front was breaking hard so its rear end was high. It was wet and I skidded into him but 95% of the damage to me is above the bumper. Rad leaked etc etc.

The only thing hurt is my pride / ego.

Got a ticket form the cop for "following to close" but I guess that is standard procedure. What I REALLY felt bad about was that one of the guys gave the cop his license to find that it had expired last october. He was a 55 year old engineer. Cop had to give him a $130 ticket and he could not drive his car (although it was driveable) I felt bad about that.

trekster
01-17-06, 12:53 PM
Well just coming to visit my friends to cry in my beer. I rear ended a car today. Nobody to blame but myself for a fraction of a second of a lapse in concentration in heavy tarffic. No injuries to the two cars in front of me. Infact my air bag did NOT go off although the damage to me looks very significant.

Drivers side front hurt badly. Going to be expensive. The car in front was breaking hard so its rear end was high. It was wet and I skidded into him but 95% of the damage to me is above the bumper. Rad leaked etc etc.

The only thing hurt is my pride / ego.

Got a ticket form the cop for "following to close" but I guess that is standard procedure. What I REALLY felt bad about was that one of the guys gave the cop his license to find that it had expired last october. He was a 55 year old engineer. Cop had to give him a $130 ticket and he could not drive his car (although it was driveable) I felt bad about that.Sorry to hear that. Don't feel bad about the 55 year old engineer it was his fault that he didn't renewed his license not yours.

urbanski
01-17-06, 12:57 PM
get us pics....
i'm so good at crashing i could give you a $ and time estimate lol :rolleyes:

VELOSE
01-17-06, 01:31 PM
Sorry to hear you and your V went playing bumper cars. Good to hear there were no bodily injuries though. Are you thinking of getting rid of it now?

Urby, it's comforting to know we have a V adjuster in the forum.

Seattle CTS-V
01-17-06, 01:47 PM
Glad to hear you're ok...physically anyway.

Skeeter
01-17-06, 05:01 PM
Sucks that we've lost the old 'steel bumper' techonlogy. I remember I used to plow into the back of my friends' cars when I'd happen on them in traffic. Just a small 4 or 5 mph tap. Back with '60's cars, you'd do no damage other than pissing off the driver. They'd get out of the car all heated, see it was me, then we'd have a good laugh.

Of course, they'd tap my car when they saw me also...

Now days you'd cause thousands of dollars of damage. The pain of the plastic! Technology giveth, and taketh away :(

Skeeter

ahahnu
01-17-06, 05:24 PM
Yeah but they look so beautiful. Steel bumpers wouldn't look to good on the v. Sorry to hear about your loss.

CIWS
01-17-06, 05:42 PM
Dang that sucks your V got crunched, but glad to hear you did not. The car can be fixed, ask Urbi ;) (don't shoot me Urbi).
I can sympathize though, I put "Katrina" in the dealership's hands today to do some cosmetic fixes to the paint on the front-end /fascia that were there at delivery. I get to drive a 2.8ltr CTS while it's in the shop :crying2:

Rickerbucks
01-17-06, 06:41 PM
I'm driving a Buick Allure right now.

What a treat.

"Treat" = POS.

Fortunately we have government car insurance here in BC and with 20 years of no claims I get a "get out of jail" free card. Almost zero additional insurance costs - (About $30 extra next year.)

HDMLNIUM
01-17-06, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident:banghead: , but atleast no one was hurt..
The V will be fixed and be looking as good as new in no time..:yup:
Sorry again..

Bill

Rickerbucks
01-19-06, 01:09 AM
"A wrecked V makes baby Jesus cry"

- Ralph Wiggum. - Simpsons

VELOSE
01-19-06, 01:14 AM
It doesn't look too bad. The reason I'm saying this is because I'm comparing your pics to Urby's accidents. It does seem sad to know your V is no longer a virgin.

Urby, what do you say, $10k?

wildwhl
01-19-06, 01:23 AM
I'll go $12K on this one, and bet I'm low, not that I would know :banghead:

heavymetals
01-19-06, 01:42 AM
RATS!

I say around $10K.

Sorry bout your car, but glad your ok.

daytripper
01-19-06, 08:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your crash. Probably looks worse than it is if the airbags didn't go off. How fast did you say you were going when you hit?

Does the damage extend into the doors, A pillar, roof, or is it all contained in the front end? Any damage to the suspension or underhood (beyond the radiator)? If the speed was low enough, and the damage visibly looks bad because of the bumper mismatch, it may not be too bad. Maybe $9-$12k?

Good luck on the insurance side.

Brian R.

urbanski
01-19-06, 10:22 AM
i'm wondering how much into the engine compartment it went.
Radiator, airbox, PCM container, cover all seem hit. Wonder if you took out any accessory pumps or whatnot.

And did the fender bow in, or the driver door bow out? There's a gap there.

Off the top of my head :D
Bumper 500
Xenon Light 1K each
Fog assemby 250
Grilles 600
Fender 500
Door 500
Hood...no clue, never had mine replaced
Engine compartment...no clue.

I estimate 12K on the LOW side, could easily hit 15K depending on suspension/engine damage in addition to the obvious body damage.

Repariable? Hell yeah, I've done WAY worse and mine's perfect now.
You'll never know the diff.
Time? 6 weeks. Be patient, it's gonna be A LONG TIME.

Rickerbucks
01-19-06, 11:57 AM
I had trouble opening the drivers door but I think it is because the fender buckled. No apparant damage past the fenders. I cannot open the hood so not sure about engine bay damage. I actually have not seen the car in daylight yet.

No apparant damage to suspension. probably going about 20 - 30 mph at point of contact. The GM guys said it was a VERY good thing I hit on an angle. He suggested that its easier to set things straight from an angle then front a front on hit *shrug*

That being said, I'm the third or fourth V they have seen. (they only sell 200 a year in Canada) Another owner lost the rear in the same tunnel that I was in and hit a barricade which spun him into another barricade. All air bags went of and $28k CDN damage. He said the air bags are like $6k CDN. Having said that, he mentioned that the owner 'enjoyed' his car and the lack of rubber on his SECOND set of tires probably contributed to his loss of traction.

Logandiagnostic
01-19-06, 12:09 PM
You may want to consider collecting the crash data stored in the air bag black box. Just in case....

See: http://www.airbagcrash.com

Rickerbucks
01-19-06, 12:25 PM
Well candidly this is an open and shut case. I wasn't 'misbehaving' or doing anything wrong, just a momentarily lapse of concentration / judgement / bad luck BUT this is a fascinating and disturbing topic.

One question I have is, it says that the whoever 'owns' the car 'owns' the data. If I have a wreck and I request the insurance company fix it, do I still not 'own' the car even if they have it in their possecion? I assume that they only own it IF they write it off, or provide a payment for the whole car.

Can they down load from this sensor PRIOR to 'buying' the car from me. I would assume not.

Logandiagnostic
01-19-06, 12:36 PM
In some parts of the country, laws are being passed that require your permission to download the crash data.

A GM Tech 2 cannot collect the crash data.

If you settle with the insurance company, they now own the crash data.

We recommend saving the crash data from any accident event. Just to show you were not goofing off. You would be amazed at how many lawsuits appear 6 or 12 months after a accident. And, when the accident was your fault.

Logan Diagnostic
www.airbagcrash.com
www.ledfix.com
www.logandieselusa.com

azombie
01-19-06, 11:25 PM
It will be between 9-12K

you are talking 1K each per headlight

V Amazed
01-20-06, 12:34 AM
over 10 because mine was 10, and mine was a tad less extensive. Just my guess. Good luck. Any good shop will do right by her. You will soon again drive your baby.

Ben

Rickerbucks
01-20-06, 07:19 PM
Initial estimate - which will go up a little they think is about $15,000 CDN = $12,000 USD.

Good news is NO structural damage.