: 2006 Auto show detroit- - opinions?

SRT8/BMW
01-17-06, 01:18 PM
Always scouting out my next car. The usual suspects caught my fancy (CTS-V, GTO, SRT8 (charger and 300C) Shelby Mustang, M5 (leaning towards that one) AMGs, the surprisingly sweet Audi S6.

The one that surprised me, and really looked good was the STS-V....

read mixed reviews (some rags have dinged it for its handling). Given that I most assuredly need a 4-door...what do you all think about above list??

Kadonny
01-17-06, 01:41 PM
I was just looking at the USA Today paper and they had a few pics in there. I did not know Audi was making an S6. Hot! Its not quite the RS6, but nonetheless at a 0-60 time of 5.2, its almost stock V numbers.

Now I bet the price refelcts that, but still, one hot car.

I love these horsepower wars!

VELOSE
01-17-06, 02:38 PM
I'm also impressed with the Audi S6 too. Mostly because on top of all that performance, it's a very safe car. Something else appealing is, it comes in an avant(wagon) version too.

I'm twitching everytime I see the new Shelby GT500. All of my friends say that is the right car for me and my needs. Seriously, I agree. I have the Denali and Audi A4 for hauling the family. I really don't need another 4 door luxury high performance car. I could use a more friendly coupe with seating for 4 that can be tranformed for better track use during the year.

Anyhow, I'm like you too, "always scouting out my next car." :D

daytripper
01-17-06, 05:08 PM
Here's the summary write-up on the S6 from the NYT Detroit show coverage:

AUDI S6 The new, all-wheel-drive performance sedan has a 5.2-liter 10-cylinder engine rated at 420 horsepower. Prices will start in the mid-$70,000 range when the car goes on sale in the fall

Why is it you Audi guys are always talking them up on this board as buyer comparisons when the Audi's are so far up the food chain from the V. This is E55 territory (and almost M5 territory). Why don't you go to those boards and cross shop them there. CTS-Vs selling in the low-40s (and even into the high $30s for the last of the '05 models) just can't conceivably be compared in any way to the S6. OK, I'll yield the S4 comparison makes some sense (except cost is still not truly comparable). How many V buyers (even at full retail) would reasonably cross-shop the S6.

I just don't get it. There's more Audi comparisons on this board than there are whiner threads. Makes little sense...

Brian R.

Davidstan
01-17-06, 05:15 PM
I just cancelled my name on the list at the local Ford dealer for the Shelby vert. I was like 14 on the list and was told they would get a lot of fall out when it came time to put up the dough.
My 2 big turn offs were this dealer was marking up the car to market value which could be anywhere from 50,000 to 75,000. My other negative was the fact i'm starting to see a zillion new mustangs out there and they are putting the aftermarket Shelby stripes on them. No exclusivity.

D

VELOSE
01-17-06, 05:17 PM
Your Trippin' now.......:D

I wasn't comparing the Audi to the V. I was merely commenting how the S6 would make a nice family car.

I did compare the V to the Stang but that is because of the uses I have for the V, not for price.

Kadonny
01-17-06, 05:18 PM
Here's the summary write-up on the S6 from the NYT Detroit show coverage:

AUDI S6 The new, all-wheel-drive performance sedan has a 5.2-liter 10-cylinder engine rated at 420 horsepower. Prices will start in the mid-$70,000 range when the car goes on sale in the fall

Why is it you Audi guys are always talking them up on this board as buyer comparisons when the Audi's are so far up the food chain from the V. This is E55 territory (and almost M5 territory). Why don't you go to those boards and cross shop them there. CTS-Vs selling in the low-40s (and even into the high $30s for the last of the '05 models) just can't conceivably be compared in any way to the S6. OK, I'll yield the S4 comparison makes some sense (except cost is still not truly comparable). How many V buyers (even at full retail) would reasonably cross-shop the S6.

I just don't get it. There's more Audi comparisons on this board than there are whiner threads. Makes little sense...

Brian R.

They are compared here because they were always at the same price point of the V, like it or not. The A6 was always in the high 40 low 50 price range. How is that "so far up" the food chain? Are the S6s and RSs farther up? Yes, but you have to admit you have heard the V called the "American M5". Right? So it is more than fair to compare them here. Do you see comparisons of the V to the E55 here? Sure.

I don't get what you don't get. Sorry, just being honest here.

daytripper
01-17-06, 08:20 PM
They are compared here because they were always at the same price point of the V, like it or not. The A6 was always in the high 40 low 50 price range. How is that "so far up" the food chain? Are the S6s and RSs farther up? Yes, but you have to admit you have heard the V called the "American M5". Right? So it is more than fair to compare them here. Do you see comparisons of the V to the E55 here? Sure.

I don't get what you don't get. Sorry, just being honest here.

Don't stretch the point I was making. The thread was about the S6, not the A6. Its going to cost $75 grand, or thereabouts, and is nowhere near the price point of the V. Maybe you mean to compare the A6 to the base CTS. Anyway, the S6 is pretty far "up the food chain" from the V, cost wise.
Other threads usually compare the S4 to the V, which at least is in the ballpark moneywise.

The whole American M5 thing was put on the V when it came out in 2004 (quite awhile ago actually), and was a comparison to the E39 M5, not the E60 version. Back then, the US kept trying to make a Euro comparable sports sedan, and kept failing. The V was the best shot at the target yet, and Cadillac marketing made a big point out of selling the Nurburgring-tuned V as a true, Euro competitor at a much lower price. Now guys are comparing it to everything under the sun, regardless of how much they cost or how close they are performancewise. That's my point... what's the point? I guess car guys always have to bench race, but the E60 M5, and no doubt the S6 are not in the same league...

I guess go ahead and compare the V to every contender, but don't be surprised when the V loses on all fronts... performance, comfort, safety, bling factor, etc. Might as well compare the V to the Continental GT while you're at it. If you want an S6, and RS6, or an S4 or an RS4, by all means buy one. Or finally make your move and buy the V you can actually afford...

Brian R.

CIWS
01-17-06, 08:33 PM
Flunk any vehicle sitting on display at a show. Wait until you can actually drive the car(s) for yourself and then make any decision based on that input. The show may be nice to narrow down some choices, but the test is in the drive.

Oh and just go get an Lexus IS 350...

(sorry just had to throw that in there.) ;)

SRT8/BMW
01-17-06, 09:50 PM
Flunk any vehicle sitting on display at a show. Wait until you can actually drive the car(s) for yourself and then make any decision based on that input. The show may be nice to narrow down some choices, but the test is in the drive.

Oh and just go get an Lexus IS 350...

(sorry just had to throw that in there.) ;)

too funny...but your advice is sound. I really took a liking to the STS-V..wondered if anyone has driven one. The CTS-v gets universal high marks for its handling. The 300cSRT8 I have now is awesome as well in that department, and I had a BMW 745 Li which was amazing. So, several mags give the STS-V high marks, and at least one knocked it down. But I really like the look of that vehicle and can't realistically get a manual trans so I am interested.

Kadonny
01-18-06, 09:25 AM
Don't stretch the point I was making. The thread was about the S6, not the A6. Its going to cost $75 grand, or thereabouts, and is nowhere near the price point of the V. Maybe you mean to compare the A6 to the base CTS. Anyway, the S6 is pretty far "up the food chain" from the V, cost wise.
Other threads usually compare the S4 to the V, which at least is in the ballpark moneywise.

The whole American M5 thing was put on the V when it came out in 2004 (quite awhile ago actually), and was a comparison to the E39 M5, not the E60 version. Back then, the US kept trying to make a Euro comparable sports sedan, and kept failing. The V was the best shot at the target yet, and Cadillac marketing made a big point out of selling the Nurburgring-tuned V as a true, Euro competitor at a much lower price. Now guys are comparing it to everything under the sun, regardless of how much they cost or how close they are performancewise. That's my point... what's the point? I guess car guys always have to bench race, but the E60 M5, and no doubt the S6 are not in the same league...

I guess go ahead and compare the V to every contender, but don't be surprised when the V loses on all fronts... performance, comfort, safety, bling factor, etc. Might as well compare the V to the Continental GT while you're at it. If you want an S6, and RS6, or an S4 or an RS4, by all means buy one. Or finally make your move and buy the V you can actually afford...

Brian R.

Well, then we agree to disagree because my first point will be that the V will not lose on all fronts when compared to some of these cars. My comparisons always start with performance. I will admit the CTS-V is the benchmark for performance in my eyes. Where else can you get that much performance for that kind of money. Nowhere. But the V lends to not just a performance comparison, but a performance coupled with cost comparison. Are other cars faster or a better performer than the V? Yes, but there are not a hell of a lot of them.

So, is it fair to compare a V to an RS4 which is believed to carry a 66k sticker? Is it fair to compare a V to an M3? I bet most would say yes, but I still consider both those cars to be a step below the V just becuase they are smaller, forgetting price altogether. The V is a tweener car. It sort of falls right between the M3 and M5 and right between the RS4/S4 or RS6/S6, to me anyway.

So to compare the V to any of the cars I listed is completely fair in my eyes. Please don't get me wrong, I love the V but I also appreciate every other performance car out there. Just the fact that manufacturers are making these high performance cars makes it a win win for us all. To have this many cars with top notch performance is sheer bliss. It makes car shopping a hoot!

I tell you the only negative on the V is the problems that many have experienced. That is just fact. I had my Audi for 3+ years and it was NEVER in the shop, it ran like a champ and I ran it hard. I just hope I have the same experience with the V, I am hoping upon all hopes that happens. Ultimately I still love American muscle and the V falls squarely into that catagory.

daytripper
01-18-06, 09:42 AM
I hear you Kadonny, and I don't knock all comparisons to the V... just the silly ones like the S6 and M5. I think you'll see it will lose on all fronts to those cars. Handling, speed, luxury, aesthetics, build quality, etc.

I don't knock comparisons to the M3 or S4 (although I disagree with you that the RS4 isn't too much further up the food chain). They are close enough in performance and cost, and not too far off in size.

Some of these posts sound like the Z06 guys who want to compare the Z06 to the F430 or the Gallardo. They may benchmark close in a few performance categories, but they are leagues apart and few buyers will ever cross shop that across that gulf.

My point was there are too many threads popping up on this board in V vs. the whole sport sedan world. Gets kind of old after awhile.

Brian R.

Kadonny
01-18-06, 09:59 AM
I hear you Brian, but as long as we have choice, you will see comparisons. Its just a fact.

Now, that being said, I sure hope Caddy has a great display of the Vs at this years auto shows.

Katshot
01-18-06, 10:12 AM
Anybody going to the Philly show?

Kadonny
01-18-06, 10:18 AM
Anybody going to the Philly show?

Actually I planned on it Katshot. You going? I was there 2 years ago, but missed it last year.

Katshot
01-18-06, 12:33 PM
I go to the New York show every year so I don't usually go the Philly show. However, the last couple years, I've been getting roped into going and it hasn't been too bad. Bottom line, I will probably end up going if I have the time.

OldRoadDawg
01-18-06, 12:45 PM
Got any info as to the when/where for the Philly show? Never been to it.

Kadonny
01-18-06, 01:19 PM
Got any info as to the when/where for the Philly show? Never been to it.

Dawg, Feb. 4th - 12th.

Here is the link:

http://www.phillyautoshow.com/home.asp