: 79 Fleetwood Brougham

devilleconcours100
01-17-06, 01:01 PM
Hi, I was driving around and I saw a 79 Fleetwood Brougham in a guy's yard. I stopped in and asked him about it, and he said he would take 400.00 cash for it. I always loved the body style and she sounds and drives great. The only problem is that the brakes are weak. I know that she has 4 Wheel Disc, and I was wondering what you guys think ?
Thanks, Dave.

DopeStar 156
01-17-06, 01:30 PM
BUY IT! Haha.

If you wanna, ask him if you can take it and have it looked at, have the brakes estimated and then decide for yourself wether or not you want it.

caddydaddy
01-17-06, 01:42 PM
Heck, if it's in good shape, and runs good, $400 sounds like a steal! It probably just needs a new master cylinder, or booster at most!

CaddymanTom
01-17-06, 02:28 PM
Yeah I am thinking master cylinder too. I had to replace mine on the Eldo and it was about $200.00 installed. Sounds like a great deal ! Go for it!!!

BluEyes
01-19-06, 08:46 AM
$200 installed for a $70 (new) part? Gotta learn to do your own work people, this stuff is easy.

Brakes on that car are 12" discs in front, and if it has rear discs they are 11". That's plenty of stopping power - when working correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if the trouble is that the guy never sets his parking brake.
On the rear discs that this car has, the rear brake calipers are only adjusted when you set the parking brake, unlike normal calipers that adjusgt whenever you apply the brakes in traffic. Trouble is, with an automatic, most people just put it in park (even when there's an automatic park brake release!) so consequently the rear brakes never get adjusted. Over time, the rear brake pads wear untill they really aren't doing anything. You get a soft pedal and bad braking.
Spend some time just setting and releasing the parking brake repeatedly and see if that improves the brakes. If you leave it in drive, it should automatically release after you take your foot off the park brake pedal if everything is working. Do this after you've gotten it home, just in case the park brake cable binds or something. The factory adjustment procedure is to set and release the brake something like 60 times! Hopefully this will do the trick.

Lord Cadillac
01-19-06, 09:31 AM
Buy it and take pictures. :)

Night Wolf
01-19-06, 01:04 PM
Yeah, the brakes on these cars are pretty massive. I have the rear drums (which are huge) My parking brake cable is broke tho....

stopping power, for such a large and heavy car is very impressive, I can stop this thing super easy, it always feels like it is capable at stopping durring anything....

About the only thing is, once the tires lock, the car nearly stays at the same speed... so much mass and it just keeps going, can be tricky at times but I am really good with the brakes now to be able to do an emergency stop with no, or minmal tire lock.

Lucky for me, the right before I bought the '79 the previous owner replaced the master brake cylinder, as well as the headliner.... these 2 items together cost him more then the $300 I paid for the car :)

N0DIH
01-19-06, 01:56 PM
Those rear calipers are the 2 3/8", larger than the 80-85 F and E body ones which were 2".

Heck the price of the is worth the rear brakes in parts alone. Don't tempt me....

It has 12in front that can be retro'd on my 80 T/A and rear disc that can be retro'd on my T/A, as well as the correct master cyl and booster....