: New 04 SRX owner. Questions/concerns???

King of Clubs
01-16-06, 09:38 PM
I just purchased an 04 SRX, V8 AWD. After driving it for two weeks before signing the papers, I noticed some things that concerns me:
The front strut bar is missing, do the AWD SRX's have a front strut bar?

The one I have has 17" wheels, I thought 18" was standard for V8?

After putting 2k miles on the vehicle (still under warranty) the NAV/radio lost power for a second and came back up twice on a long trip. Potential problem????

Can anyone comment on these? TIA

gman89
01-16-06, 09:53 PM
There should be a bar across the strut towers and the wheels sould be 18 inch.

Are you buying this from a dealer?

louisn
01-17-06, 09:27 AM
There should be a bar across the strut towers and the wheels sould be 18 inch.

Are you buying this from a dealer?
I hope he did; sounds like he might have a V-6 if he really has 17 inch wheels. If not, something is very wrong.:bomb:

King of Clubs
01-17-06, 05:10 PM
I bought it from a franchised GMC/Pontiac dealership off of their pre-owned authorized lot. It is definitely a V8 under the hood, but it seems the previous owner had after market wheels installed and could only get ahold of 17" wheels to replace them with. There are many aftermarket upgrades that leads me to believe this. The tires are correct for 17's (two different sizes for front and back), but the rims are 17" chrome (like the V6). Got the stru bar installed.

King of Clubs
01-17-06, 05:27 PM
Got the strut bar situation taken care off, it did come with it.

louisn
01-17-06, 07:25 PM
I bought it from a franchised GMC/Pontiac dealership off of their pre-owned authorized lot. It is definitely a V8 under the hood, but it seems the previous owner had after market wheels installed and could only get ahold of 17" wheels to replace them with. There are many aftermarket upgrades that leads me to believe this. The tires are correct for 17's (two different sizes for front and back), but the rims are 17" chrome (like the V6). Got the stru bar installed.
That's a weird deal. Where was the strut bar anyway and why was it off? I wonder whether the 17 inch wheels would affect the statbility and/or tractioncontrol or does it compensate on its own?

john d
01-17-06, 08:39 PM
That's a weird deal. Where was the strut bar anyway and why was it off? I wonder whether the 17 inch wheels would affect the statbility and/or tractioncontrol or does it compensate on its own?
Would the 17"s register a higher speedo mph, distance and mpg than actual?
Would 0-60 times improve?

miked
01-17-06, 09:52 PM
The 17's should not register any different calculations, because the diameter of the tire remains the same. With 17's, from the side, there's "more tire," if you will, than with the 18's (give or take +/- 1%).

If you do a google search for "tire size calculator" there's a guy with a Miata web site that has a real nice calculator in which you can enter in tire sizes and wheel sizes, and it'll tell you how much the speedometer will vary. Basically, you're looking always at less than 2-3% at most.

King of Clubs
01-18-06, 06:39 PM
Another good tire caculator site http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

The speedo is correct (per GPS) my avg mpg is 19.7 right now. I'm upgrading to 20" wheels and tires in the near future so the 17's won't stay on long. I know the 20's will kill my gas mileage and throw my speedo off, but I'll have to assess that when the time comes.

The strut bar is actually my FU. It's too embarrassing to explain.