: Brake and Shock recommendation

lawnpatio
01-16-06, 06:49 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm about to replace all of my brakes and shocks. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for brands at all?? Thanks

morourke
02-05-06, 05:28 PM
The OES pads will be the best. The 97's had Jurid 501. Not sure what was OE on the 99. Bendix Premium should also be good. If Bendix, check edge code for ZRE or ZQE for the formula code.

miahcornell
02-06-06, 02:47 AM
koni sport shocks are available.

NJ_Catera
02-08-06, 11:58 AM
As for the brakes....from now on I'm getting the ceramic type pads. My wife put some on her '05 van and there is barely...if any....brake dust on the wheels. They're kind of expensive but I'll be getting those from now on.

dachew
02-08-06, 12:20 PM
I just finished replacing the front struts on my 99'. Only replacements I was able to find were Monroe and KYB. I chose the Monroe. Two problems I found with them was that the spring perch was a little bigger around than on the OEMs and it interfered a little with my spring compressors. Second, the boot kit Monroe offers only sort of works. The upper insulator that comes with the boot kit doesn't fit the upper mount - Had to use the old one. Also, the new shaft lock nut that comes with the new strut is a little taller than the OE so the upper mount plate sticks up a little more under the hood.

97cateraowner
02-09-06, 12:10 AM
I just finished replacing the front struts on my 99'. Only replacements I was able to find were Monroe and KYB. I chose the Monroe. Two problems I found with them was that the spring perch was a little bigger around than on the OEMs and it interfered a little with my spring compressors. Second, the boot kit Monroe offers only sort of works. The upper insulator that comes with the boot kit doesn't fit the upper mount - Had to use the old one. Also, the new shaft lock nut that comes with the new strut is a little taller than the OE so the upper mount plate sticks up a little more under the hood.
The upper mount plate sticks up in my 97 after replacing with Monroes. I ordered the top bushings and they are being installed tomorrow in hopes to close this gap. Wish me luck. As far as brakes...Wagner ThermoQuiet pads work great. I have yet to get a warped rotor since switching to these.

dachew
02-09-06, 09:32 AM
The upper mount plate sticks up in my 97 after replacing with Monroes. I ordered the top bushings and they are being installed tomorrow in hopes to close this gap. Wish me luck. As far as brakes...Wagner ThermoQuiet pads work great. I have yet to get a warped rotor since switching to these.

I doubt that replacing the strut bearing is going to close up that gap. The gap really is not a problem as far as driveability is concerned but I can understand why someone wouldn't like the way it looks. A cheap fix for the gap problem, as long as your strut bearings are still good, would be to simply go to the dealership and replace the strut shaft nut that came with the Monroes with an OE nut. You might even find a replacement at a good parts store. That'd cost under $10 (Except that the strut will have to be removed, spring compressed, shaft nut replaced, then reinstalled.). I thought about doing that but after driving the car for a few days and being REALLY happy with the dramatic change in ride quality (both the original struts were completely worn out so the new ones suddenly make the car feel very good) I'm leaving it alone. I've got other chores to attend to.

97cateraowner
02-09-06, 08:20 PM
Well I picked up the car from the shop and the bushing/bearing replacement did fix the problem with the upper mount plate. :thumbsup: It is now flush with the strut towers. The car no longer makes a thump when you hit a bump. I had them give me the old ones to inspect and they looked worn out.
My recommendation is to replace the bushing when you replace the strut.
The Monroes for some reason are sold separate. :cookoo: