: How To: Replace front Struts: Documented with photos

iametarq
01-15-06, 11:22 PM
I posted this in the suspension section but I did replace the front struts on my Seville this afternoon. The link to that thread is here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62949

I had to remove some of the pictures, but you can find them all on a link in the other thread.

Enjoy!!!!!

MacKiNBacK
01-16-06, 12:01 AM
I was just wondering if you happened to see anything reguarding the upper strut bearing when replacing? I highly doubt id bother with it since I plan on trading up. But just curious.

MacK

iametarq
01-16-06, 08:15 AM
I did not see anything, and I couldn't see anything wrong with the ones that I reused. The rubber around it was still completely intact. and I couldn't make any noise on it when I tried manipulating it with my hands.

trading up for a newer STS? :)

walterroc
01-16-06, 08:50 AM
Great write up. I copied it to my 98 Eldo fix folder. I may have to do this in the spring. Thanks for your effort.

Edwin
02-11-06, 12:22 PM
would this be the same on changing strutes .for a 1998 cadi eldorado? Rick edwin:hmm:

iametarq
02-25-06, 09:19 PM
would this be the same on changing strutes .for a 1998 cadi eldorado? Rick edwin:hmm:

if it's not exactly the same, it'd be very, very similar.

ruaskier2
06-28-06, 10:37 PM
To All,
S-iametarq hit the nail on the head. The parts list was great. The torx and large wrench I had to buy. (It wasn't part of my 50 pc tool set. LOL)
Just some words since I just did mine in the driveway in about 3 hours.
There's two types of spring compressors, make sure you get the EXTERNAL pair. (The screw shaft is on the outside of the spring. I believe they're pictured on S's thread.)
Also, the connector housing plug from the strut to the body harness was tucked very discretly up behind the tire splash gaurd/firewall. Two items that helped me on the '98 SLS....1) The connector housing has a fur tree designed as part of the connector housing. It was NOT used. An odditional fur tree clip was taped to the electrical body harness, so all I had to do is open the clip with a flat screw driver. No need to pull it from the metal body panel. 2) It was very easy for re-assembly by installing the 3 top screws to the top of the strut. I then used a large screw driver to align the bottom 2 holes starting with the top one. Use the floor jack to hold the A-arm/brake asm in place and knock the bolt in. I then started the bolt, picked up the A-arm/brake asm until it rotated into alignment, then nock the bottom bolt in.
Penetrating lube was my friend also.
Thanks again, Great write up w/ pics S-iametarq! I'll trust your advice again.

iametarq
06-29-06, 08:04 AM
ruaskier2, glad it was helpful!!