: Cadillac's showing at the 2006 Auto Show

jadon1
01-15-06, 09:29 PM
I just wanted to share with you all my thoughts on Cadillacs display at this years auto show in Detroit. As far as the the SRX is concerned...it was horrible! The SRX was located in the darkest corner of their display area, almost hidden behind their other vehicles! To make matters worse, the one they had looked like an entry level version...no NAV, Ultra moonroof...nothing! It's hard to understand why Cadillac is treating the SRX like a stepchild. The show was dominated my makers showing their new cross over utility, car based SUV's. The Ford Fusion, Buik Enclave, Subaru B9, Audi Allroad, Lincoln MKS, ( I could go on) ALL had prominent displays with large groups gathered around all of them! The most irritating thing is that Cadillac has the jump on moist if these vehilces and with better features to boot. I know our interior is not as luxurious as it could be ( thats changing though) but almost none of the other crossovers could match our XL moonroof or the mighty Northstar engine! I just can't understand it.... why isnt Caddy marketing this thing much better? If the SRX was on the display the way it should have been, with the ultra moonroof, Nav, Power liftgate, etc....they would have definitely had crowds like all the others. I know the big deal this year is GM's new large truck platform, (and the Escalade and all its variations were prominently displayed) but the SRX should have displayed proudly right next to them. Especially since the new 'Slade has very obvious styling cues taken straight from the SRX! Look at the back end of the escalade, if you blink you'd swear it was a tall SRX! I'm a proud owner of a 2004 SRX ( light plat,V8,NAV,ultra moonroof,HID,MRC,cargo system, billet grille) and I love the fact thatI dont see myself coming and going everywhere I drive, BUT, I would like this vehicle to be marketed a little better so I can look forward to improvements over the years and maybe purhase a newer version down the line. I just dont get it.... Car & Driver best Lux truck 2 years running, winner of several comparo's, critics love it...and they hide it in a corner??? Does anyone else feel me on this!!!!???? :)

DG2
01-15-06, 10:16 PM
Perhaps Cadillac wanted to have all the spotlight on the new Escalade. After all, I was at the '03 NY auto show when the SRX had a beautiful display and was indeed the "star" attraction. I own a '04 SRX as well and think it is the greatest overall faimly car on the market.

From what I read the current SRX will remain virtually unchanged until 2009. So, we can enjoy our SRX's for many more years and then get new ones in 2009.

miked
01-15-06, 11:36 PM
I had also read somewhere(???) that the SRX is supposed to have a new interior in 2007. I hope that's still true.

I agree; I am puzzled by the failure to push the SRX more (that said, I did see an SRX ad on one of the NFL games this weekend). It's one of the few cars that GM has that has consistently one awards against all competitors. It's priced right now, too. I think if they just kept up the Japanese idea of constant improvement -- little things year to year, with big things each model changeover -- they would have a perpetual winner. The worst thing to do would be to just kill it completely in 2009 or whatever.

Johan Ahlqvist
01-16-06, 07:57 AM
It is true!
SRX donīt get what it deserve, and it is strange. I live in Sweden and here in europe the Escalade newer will be a big seller, it is to big and takes to much gas, so if Cadillac wanīt to be a big player in europe the have to push on the SRX. I think it is a perfect mordern SUV that will fit into most of the SUV buyers, big cars like Escalade will lose marketashare everywhere when gasprices is running to high. I love my SRX -05 V6 AWD with ultraveiw, Xenon.......

inline6
01-16-06, 02:46 PM
I believe the big problem is most dealers and possibly Cadillac itself cannot figure out how to market the car/truck. The big problem is the SRX is not a conventional Cadillac and it does not fit perfectly into the defined SUV space. Some dealers think it is a CTS station wagon and others think it is a poorly executed Cadillac version of a Envoy. Very few recognize it as a very strong competitor to the small and mid-size Lexus, MDX or Mercedes SUVs.

When we ordered our 04 the closest dealer would not order a V6 nor one with an ebony interior. The dealer we bought from actually had a V6 we could drive, but still did not want us to order the dark interior. We asked if they ever looked at what color interiors the MDX and MBs where selling with; they had no clue and never considered them to be a competitor to the SRX. They thought and probably most dealers still do think the SRX is what you sell someone who cannot afford an Escalade.

gjnockie
01-16-06, 09:43 PM
I just wanted to share with you all my thoughts on Cadillacs display at this years auto show in Detroit. As far as the the SRX is concerned...it was horrible! The SRX was located in the darkest corner of their display area, almost hidden behind their other vehicles! To make matters worse, the one they had looked like an entry level version...no NAV, Ultra moonroof...nothing! It's hard to understand why Cadillac is treating the SRX like a stepchild. The show was dominated my makers showing their new cross over utility, car based SUV's. The Ford Fusion, Buik Enclave, Subaru B9, Audi Allroad, Lincoln MKS, ( I could go on) ALL had prominent displays with large groups gathered around all of them! The most irritating thing is that Cadillac has the jump on moist if these vehilces and with better features to boot. I know our interior is not as luxurious as it could be ( thats changing though) but almost none of the other crossovers could match our XL moonroof or the mighty Northstar engine! I just can't understand it.... why isnt Caddy marketing this thing much better? If the SRX was on the display the way it should have been, with the ultra moonroof, Nav, Power liftgate, etc....they would have definitely had crowds like all the others. I know the big deal this year is GM's new large truck platform, (and the Escalade and all its variations were prominently displayed) but the SRX should have displayed proudly right next to them. Especially since the new 'Slade has very obvious styling cues taken straight from the SRX! Look at the back end of the escalade, if you blink you'd swear it was a tall SRX! I'm a proud owner of a 2004 SRX ( light plat,V8,NAV,ultra moonroof,HID,MRC,cargo system, billet grille) and I love the fact thatI dont see myself coming and going everywhere I drive, BUT, I would like this vehicle to be marketed a little better so I can look forward to improvements over the years and maybe purhase a newer version down the line. I just dont get it.... Car & Driver best Lux truck 2 years running, winner of several comparo's, critics love it...and they hide it in a corner??? Does anyone else feel me on this!!!!???? :)

Maybe the reason is that they realize that the SRX is a piece of crap!

sgilbert
01-16-06, 10:17 PM
Obviously, someone forgot to empty the trash!

BarryH_GEG
01-16-06, 10:23 PM
I believe the big problem is most dealers and possibly Cadillac itself cannot figure out how to market the car/truck.

You live in Boise. How much do you think any salesman at any dealer of any make really knows about what they're selling? With such low volumes, they all kind of feel their way through. I have the same problem here in Spokane. Fortunately, the BMW/Cadillac dealer's a Lithia store and they seem to know more than the average. The M-B and Audi stores here are pretty lame. And I know of no dealer anywhere that wouldn't order a custom optioned car for the right amount of non-refundable deposit.

robhersch
01-17-06, 04:47 AM
To jadon1: Ditto for the LA Auto Show; Cad featured 2 Escalades, 2 XLRs (1 reg & 1 V), many STSes, 1 CTS (3.6 V6 only & not even a poster for CTS), & 1 (much downplayed) SRX (V6 stripped model). The Cad reps were courteous & helpful w/ their computer data (but no printer-hand-outs). SRXs & CTSes clearly were downplayed compared w/MB, BMW, Lex, etc!?! GM did hype most Chevvy models & new Buicks w/N*V8. **To gjnockie**: Obviously you seem to have either (1) not had the opportunity to compare the SRX with its foreign competition on an apples-to-apples basis (I found the SRX to score very well except for outback-off-road requiring real low-gear-4-wheel-drive at an El Toro, CA test drive by comparing MB, BMW, Lexus, Acura, SRX V6-to-V6 & V8-to-V8 under the same conditions on the same day on 2 courses, and I admit to taking nearly all day to do so); or (2) you have some TBD interest in propagating negative chatter about the SRX. I also believe that if you compare features & quality (as well as manufacturing labor costs per vehicle), the SRX is not a bad value. I bought a 2005 SRX N*V8 and am quite pleased.

gordon87
01-17-06, 03:10 PM
Regarding an updated interior, Edmunds had this on its site from October:

Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell said the V-models, which have new, handcrafted "cut-and-sew" interiors by German supplier Draexlmaier, suggest a "21st-century version of Cadillac's coach-building heritage."

Caldwell said the 2007 Cadillac SRX SUV will get a new interior and the same custom-interior treatment as the V-models. "It won't be long before Cadillac models like the CTS get this treatment, too," he said. "It's like remodeling your house. You can pick granite or a cheaper material, but it's the same process." The CTS is due for a redesign in calendar year 2007.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107541

miked
01-17-06, 09:53 PM
I think that's just great news! I'm hoping that they also add some more interior items, like four-zone (at least three-zone) climate control, and rear heated seats. Front ventilated seats would be nice, too.