: oil drain plug torque?

05SRXV8
01-15-06, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know what the torque is for the oil drain plug for the 4.6l V8? Its an aluminum pan and I don't want to strip out the pan threads. Thank you.

john d
01-15-06, 01:25 PM
18 plug ............ 22 filter

KMO
03-13-06, 03:46 PM
Are the values the same for the V6?

john d
03-14-06, 12:28 AM
Are the values the same for the V6?
plug 15
oil filter cap 18
I flow tested different filters by blowing on them and found the GM filter to offer the least resistance. Filters that claimed superior filtering power were unbelievably restrictive. I'd be concerned that any filters other than the GM might not filter enough with a free flowing style or be a barrier to oil flow if it claimed "super" filteration thereby causing premature wear damage.

KMO
03-14-06, 09:35 AM
Thanks. I am cetain I cranked the cap a bit more than 18 FT-LB on the first change I did. I will loosed and re-seat.
Just purchased the vehicle with ~32K on it.
Used a NAPA Gold on this change.

john d
03-14-06, 11:14 AM
Thanks. I am cetain I cranked the cap a bit more than 18 FT-LB on the first change I did. I will loosed and re-seat.
Just purchased the vehicle with ~32K on it.
Used a NAPA Gold on this change.
You may want to leave as is. Heat may have taken resilence from the cap's gasket seal so that if loosened may leak and require even more over tightening to stop leak. Conversely, if the threads have been streached to near the stripping point and heat expansion cause them to let go you have a worse problem as you can imagine! Kind of thing to lose sleep over, sorry.

KMO
03-15-06, 10:32 AM
OK... so I had seen in a "how to post" that the canister cap was 15/16 or 24mm , do you know which it really is?

john d
05-10-06, 08:54 AM
Repeat for new members

ewill3rd
05-16-06, 06:29 AM
I use a 15/16 to remove the filter cap.
Overtightening the cap does not ensure that it won't leak, it just makes it harder to remove next time.
The O-ring seal is what keeps it from leaking and all it needs is the proper "crush" to make a positive seal.
Also the drain plug has a rubber seal on it. Just a smidge tighter than hand tight is all you really need. I have seen them come back finger tight after 3,000 miles without a drop leaked out... of course I wouldn't recommend doing it that way.

The aluminum pans have a steel thread insert to prevent damage to the pan, the plugs are made to be soft and give before the pan insert does. If you overtighten it you'll ruin the drain plug before you'll ruin the pan.
Don't overtighten them, 18 lb ft, is nothing really.
It doesn't take much.