: New 20" Wheels

BarryH_GEG
01-14-06, 05:17 PM
I've been looking for 20" wheels that were bold but not too bling. I narrowed it down to the Boss 316 and Black Rhino Keros. TSW makes Black Rhino and I was browsing inventory on their site and found these. They're metallic grey in the center which I think will look great with White Diamond. They don't come in six bolt but, for some reason, they happened to have one set of four in the SRX's size. With Toyo Proxes ST's in 255/45/20 the wheel/tire dimensions are almost identical to the stock 18's. What to you think? I did a lot of research on sizing and I'll be happy to help anyone that needs it. If anyone wants to buy my 18" Michelin's let me know. They've never been driven on as snows were put on the car when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

TSW Kyalami Hyperblack (20 x 8.5)

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/wheels/tsw/kyalami_b.jpg

Boss 316 (20 x 8.5)

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/wheels/boss/316.jpg

Black Rhino Keros (20 x 9)

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/wheels/blackrhino/keros.jpg

Package
01-16-06, 01:26 PM
I have been really struggling with which rim to go with on our 2004 V8 AWD. I was going to go with a chrome exchange on the stock rims but I really like the Boss rims as well. I was/am worried about clearance/rubbing and handling/performance issues with the 20's. Will the wet/snow traction be worse with the Boss 20's than the staock set up and will there be any rubbing/clearance issues with the Boss 20's ? Thanks for any info you can provide as it will be a big help.....

BarryH_GEG
01-16-06, 11:15 PM
I have been really struggling with which rim to go with on our 2004 V8 AWD. I was going to go with a chrome exchange on the stock rims but I really like the Boss rims as well. I was/am worried about clearance/rubbing and handling/performance issues with the 20's. Will the wet/snow traction be worse with the Boss 20's than the staock set up and will there be any rubbing/clearance issues with the Boss 20's ? Thanks for any info you can provide as it will be a big help.....

The total dimensions for the stock 18" wheels/tires are 737x255mm rear and 739x235mm front. 20x8.5 ET40 PCD 6x114.3 (6x4.5) wheels (which the Boss and TSW are) with 255/45 tires are 738x255mm. Height is statistically identical and width is identical in the rear and 10mm wider in the front which isnít a relevant difference according to everything Iíve read. There shouldn't be any negative handling impact and, based on the crappy Michelin's, road feel should improve with another brand of tire. Toyo, Nitto, and Goodyear make tires in the right size though the Goodyear's are run flats and haven't gotten great reviews on Tire Rack. Check the tire brand websites for their performance on snow/ice. Wheel size would be irrelevant as the contact patch would be the same for 18s and 20s. The tire itself would determine how it would perform in the elements. The ride will be a bit harsher as there's less tire side wall to absorb impacts but with MRC it shouldn't be that noticeable. Youíll also need to buy TPMs or swap them off your existing wheels or the DIC will go nuts.

Have you installed the Corsa exhaust and Volant CAI yet? I'm getting them too so any helpful hints/warnings would be appreciated.

Package
01-17-06, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the rim info. I think I want the Boss 20 rims. The Volant is a nice piece and installation was ok. I had isues with the silicon sleave in the kit being to short. After three attempts I finally was sent the right size/length. It is a little louder in low RPM situations but I like it. I can not say what if any HP gains I have had (no dyno) but my mileage went up to 17MPG from the average of 16MPG in mixed driving with a slight improvement in throttle response. The Corsa goes on Thursday so I will post some thoughts once I get it back.....:yup:

robhersch
01-17-06, 02:20 PM
Re intakes & exhausts: Suggest checking with CTS (for 3.6 V6) owners site/ great intake challenge &/ dyno results there for good data; ***have not seen comparable data for 4.6 N*V8***; I have a Volant CAI on my 2005 SRX N*V8, had same problem with wrong silicon sleeve, but they re-shipped correct one in few days; also re-mounted my "Volant air box" by isolating from frame with ~1/2" thick rubber gaskets on both mounts - sound levels now reduced to about the OEM level...except when really standing on accelerator. Good luck.

lendad
03-18-06, 10:44 AM
Barry, what's your opinion of the Toyo ST. I'm debating :want: between that tire and the Nitto NT420S (255/45/20). Thanks !!

TASAAB
03-18-06, 05:51 PM
I've got 20's in Chrome, 6 bolt, dealer installed on low profile Falken tires. Absolutely no rubbing concerns. The wheels have a Cadillac emblem in the center with "MC2" where the ducks usually go. My tire size is P275/45 R20 M/S on all 4 wheels.

tid9
03-23-06, 03:06 PM
BarryH GEG,

TSW is a good wheel company that stands behind everything they do. Their designs tend to be orginal and different. My understanding is that Black Rhino line of wheels are the same quality as other TSW wheels. The Black Rhino line will just allow the company to enter the low end wheel market without sacraficing the TSW reputation.

If you are still interested in the TSW wheels...let me know. I can check pricing and availability for you.

Hope this helps!.

Jermaine
Custom Car Audio Works
tid9@hotmail.com