Cadillac Owners Forum banner

HP Tuner or Tune?

4K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  lamrith 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I have finally managed to get the funds for the V to get tuned. My question is: Do I buy the HP Tuner and get help from Tim and the other known guys in the forum to put the tune together, or.... take the V to Church's dyno (tuners for D3) and have the boys there tune her?
The cost is about the same.
Church's will do the first tune for roughly $650 with any tune after being around $100
The HP Tuner is roughly $500 and I'm sure acquiring tunes will cost me... The other benefit on this route is that My Pop's owns a Grand Sport Corvette that could benefit from this tuner as well.

I only have Tim's intake and the Gibson axle back for now so I primarily want to take care of the trans tune.

#6 ·
Once you get comfortable you can make changes and with HPT and until then you can restrict how much you can change so you can grow into it as you gain knowledge.

There are stages with HPT that only allow certain things to be changed and levels you can go to.

#11 ·
I would definitely go with HPTuner, learn as you go and sooner or later you'd gain enough know how to have it down to a science. The problem with HPT is it take 2 credits to tune the STS's, thats why the cost is so high. It would be alot easier to just drop the car off and have someone work their magic with a tune, but I'd like to have the peace of mind and knowing I did it myself and learned a new trade, who knows you might get so good at it that you can start tuning other cars and make some side cash to pay for some go fast parts lol.

#14 ·
Damn that was quick. What happened to learning a new trade.........lol

#18 ·
Ok, now that the holidays are over, it's time to get my tuner... One more question that I have before the purchase.
With the tuner coming with 8 GM credits and the V requiring only 2 in order to license it, can I change the tune as many times as I want with one license or does it require 2 credits each time?

#20 ·
So I got my HPT last night and installed it on my laptop... Holly crap there's a ton of "stuff" in there.
I found a tune on the HPT site that claimed it was for an 06 with intake/exhaust with trans tune and started comparing the 2 tunes. I don't trust this tune since I noticed so many changes to everything including the final drive gearing...

First thing this morning I went to TC-Fab.com and ordered a tune that I know I can trust. Looking forward to the results. I just hope it's not too complicated to rewrite.

#21 ·
The thing to remember is make small changes and scan, scan, scan. Tim will get you a good tune!

Reactions: SuperDaveSTS
#23 ·
Ok, got the tune from Tim. She is shifting sooooooo much better and running strong.
Did a quick dinner drive with the woman (no fun to be had with her in the car) and had a small issue. CEL for lean condition. I have to say Tim C is the man! He is literally tuning my car from half way across the country. I would strongly recommend him to anyone looking for support and service.
Thanks Tim.

#24 ·
How goes the tuning?

Now that I have my V I am wanting to get tuning done. It has some shuffle shifts 1-2, and seems to hang on torque convertor when coming to a stop. With all the previously unknown mods I see I am wondering if they PO modded a bunch got a junk tune and just got tired of it and sold it.. Be nice to get in there and do a clean tune to get her dialed.

#26 ·
Tuning is going well. Big girl moves pretty dang good now.
I still owe Tim a log to confirm his last changes but haven't had much time to take it out and run it. I got tagged by the highway patrol while running a 4th gear pull one night so I'm being a little more careful :duck:
I'm very happy with the improvements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.