: CD PLAYER vs. XM

dkb1
01-12-06, 10:41 AM
You would think a 60K car you could listen to mp3 files - since most if not all new cd players can do it now.

Well I talked to the service guy and the response was Satellite radio will be the future. I ask "what if I have a song in mind - its not like I can instantaneoulsy get the song I want via Sat. radio"

I got suspicious of the response - it seems taught. And I believe it is - who is part owner of XM - GM. This must be the only reason they dont put mp3 capable cd players in my 60K MSRP vehicle.

If my system had mp3 capable - I could have 6CDs with ~175 songs each - total 1050 songs - possibly good enough that I dont need XM - at least for music. I do really enjoy ESPN in the car.

I just think there is some sort of conflict of interest between designing the car to the consumer needs versus maximizing profit on other nonrelated automobile design.

BUT I WANT TO ADD - I LOVE MY SRX - I actually miss it when I am out of town. I drove an Escalade for a week - nothing like my SRX.

Its nice to drive home from work and enjoy the drive. You come home more awake. Dont let all these bashers get you down on the SRX. So far its great. A little knick nack things occur - sunroof not closing without holding the button,nav cd, this cd thing but likely to happen with all cars - my dealer fixes all things I ask - gives me a free cadillac rental. As I drive the rental - now its a CTS - I cant wait to get my car back.

David

ckrichards
01-12-06, 11:42 AM
I have heard from others on this forum that 2005 and up SRX's can play MP3 CDs provided they are burned to CD-R discs.

BarryH_GEG
01-12-06, 11:44 AM
My 2005 with Nav plays MP3s through the 6 disk CD changer (burned to CD-Rs). My iPod plays through the aux jack in the RES.

dkb1
01-13-06, 05:46 PM
Well it depends on what you mean by burning to CD - if you burn mp3 files to CD and tell windows its an audio cd it burns it to wav file.

Now if you tell me you copy the file to the CD. And when you open the disk on your computer you see mp3 files - then I believe you.

I have attempted to do this - and it would not read my disc. If you are succesful how did you do it?

The dealership told me it does not read it. I have an 05 V8 AWD fully equip.

Where is the AUX jack - what does RES mean?

Thanks,

David

gixxer_751
01-13-06, 05:58 PM
they should have an USB port on CD players. If you've got an MP3 in its purest format (jumpdrive) you can easily insert and jam.. just a thought.

BarryH_GEG
01-13-06, 07:14 PM
Now if you tell me you copy the file to the CD. And when you open the disk on your computer you see mp3 files - then I believe you.

I'm telling you that I can burn native MP3 files to a CD-R and then play them in my 6 disc CD changer. I just move the files from a windows directory on my PC to the CD drive icon on my desktop and they copy(burn). No special software. I've heard CD-RW discs don't work but I can't confirm because I've never tried. My car was built in January of 05 if it helps.

Where is the AUX jack - what does RES mean?

RES = Rear Entertainment System. That's where the AUX jack is. I play my iPod via the RES through the car's speakers.

dkb1
01-16-06, 11:38 AM
Well I will try burning another CD - on a different disk and see.

Your right the AUX on the DVD - I wasnt thinking - yes it should work - cool.

I got the Sony Ericson walkman cell phone - it holds 256MB - so far so good - it would be cool to hook it up to the system when I get in.

Thanks,

David