: NEW Chrysler Imperial concept (hi-res photos)

Pimpin_Whity
01-11-06, 07:42 PM
i found these on a concept car website I usually check out now and then. well, all i can say about the Chrysler Imperial concept is that it looks.........ummm.......well, imperial (in a rolls-roycey kinda way :shhh: )
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Chrysler-Imperial-Concept-RA-1024x768.jpg
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Chrysler-Imperial-Concept-SA-1024x768.jpg
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Chrysler-Imperial-Concept-Dashboard-1280x960.jpg
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Chrysler-Imperial-Concept-Interior-1280x960.jpg
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Chrysler-Imperial-Concept-Seating-1280x960.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-06, 07:44 PM
My Summary:

Nice looking car, the headlights remind me of eyeballs, and I really like the interior, except for that pink LED light that goes around the dash.

Pimpin_Whity
01-11-06, 07:45 PM
I really like the interior, except for that pink LED light that goes around the dash.

I concur :alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-06, 07:51 PM
concur = agree or disagree ??

Pimpin_Whity
01-11-06, 07:55 PM
concur = agree or disagree ??

I hope that was a rhetorical question, but just in case it's agree ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-06, 07:57 PM
Thats what I thought, but your "drunken" icon mislead me

ShadowLvr400
01-11-06, 08:04 PM
I like all but the rear end. I suspect that the pink led is there simply as a display light. Keeps the interior from looking like a cave, and makes it easier to see under autoshow lights. The front is gorgeous and powerful IMO.

DBA-One
01-11-06, 08:06 PM
Looks good except the head lights. Needs more detail there and less "floating" look

Pimpin_Whity
01-11-06, 08:16 PM
i think that the interior is the biggest strong point of this car, it's just simply beautiful. combining old school looks and new materials and finish. while i like the exterior, the trunk lid needs to be a bit more flat, it sticks out a bit too much IMO

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-06, 08:18 PM
I think Imperial should revert back to their "golden eagle" logo, and not use the Chrysler logo.

SpeedyArizona
01-11-06, 08:38 PM
I love the all of it except the brown inserts on the seats. I think it makes the car look somewhat dull. I love the dash though, almost has a roadster quality to it with the lack of buttons and knobs. Love the suicide doors!

DopeStar 156
01-11-06, 08:53 PM
I like it, even the pink interior light. Makes it look sexy, like I'm at the club or something. Interior's really sharp and I like the suicide doors. However I still can't get past that it's the 300 again. Also why is it under the Chrysler nameplate? Isn't the Imperial a Dodge?

Rolex
01-11-06, 09:02 PM
The head lights need a clear cover like the tail lights IMO. THe design is a knockout though. Personally I could do without the pink light....I can't imagine that feature would make it to production though.

slk230mb
01-11-06, 09:04 PM
I like the look. I like the minimalist approach to the dash and controls.

Caddy Man
01-11-06, 09:22 PM
I dont know why they decided to showcase it in that ugly brown. :puke:

Caddy Man
01-11-06, 09:29 PM
sorry i meant :vomit: stupid thing wont let me edit my post

90Brougham350
01-11-06, 10:33 PM
The rear-end on that thing is just plain ugly. The interior is nice though, if you live on a dairy farm in Wisconsin! What ever happened to a nice black or dark green? Why brown? Makes it look like an oddly-shaped piece of shit.

Sandy
01-11-06, 10:36 PM
I am in love & it WILL be my next car. The thing is drop dead georgous ! Sizewise, the pictures fool. I got the demensions. It's 1-inch shorter than a 2005 Town Car. However it is TALL, at 63" tall, it's the height of the Jeep Cherokee Sport. (The XJ). That pink lighting on the dash, I AM TOLD, is like the Mustang speedo/tachometer and can change colors, or be turned off. I think I heard Indigo blue, soft pink, deep pink, pale yelow and a light bluish-white.

I agree on "Where's the Imperial Eagle ??? The car should NOT say "chrysler" anywhere on it, no more than a Lincoln should say Ford on it nor a Caddy should say GM on it. THAT is plain nuts!

Dope, the Imperial was not sold at Dodge stores, and was never a Dodge. It WAS sold at Chrysler-Plymouth stores, thusly people began calling it a Chrysler Imperial, but it was never a Chrysler, either. The Title (MSO ~ Manufacturer's Statment Of Origin) undcer MAKE always said Imperial and under MODEL it said either Custom, Crown, or LeBaron.

If they put "Chrysler" on it...anywhere....it's coming off mine, that is BEFORE I take it out.

Hemi under hood, BTW. 345 H.P. The color on the concept is "Imperial Bronze" ~ it's a charcoal grey with alot of metallic and the metallic is gold, making the blend look bronze.

Mine (if possible) will be Formal Black. Did you note the 22" tires/wheels ?

SpeedyArizona
01-11-06, 10:40 PM
If you look at it for a bit, you notice that it's somewhat identical to the Rolls Royce Phantom! What's the pricing going to be on this beast, I'm guessing upwards of $40,000?

SpeedyArizona
01-11-06, 10:41 PM
I think this car should have a hood ornament, it's looks like one of those cars that "deserves" one.

MrEr1c
01-11-06, 10:44 PM
so they style the cheap 300c after a bentley and now they style this "cheap" imperial after rolls royce?

i don't really like what dcx is doing.

not to mention, i don't like on the imperial how they have those fender flares near the rear tires.

Sandy
01-11-06, 10:51 PM
Low to mid-fifties

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-06, 11:22 PM
However it is TALL, at 63" tall, it's the height of the Jeep Cherokee Sport.

Holy shit that is tall, its 3" shorter than I am!!!!

Why would you need such a tall sedan other than for a top hat?

FSU_Noles
01-11-06, 11:34 PM
I think this car looks horrid. They clearly bastardized the 300 and some form of Rolls-Royce to make this monstrosity (can't place who they stole the wheels from) - sure to be a hit with the hip-hop crowd.

It looks like you could drive this car in either direction since the back looks like the front and vice versa.

:eek:

CaddyCrisis
01-12-06, 12:28 AM
I dont know why they decided to showcase it in that ugly brown

I agree! It would look a lot better in a different color but i like the body style and the suicide doors are awesome!

DopeStar 156
01-12-06, 03:20 AM
If they put "Chrysler" on it...anywhere....it's coming off mine, that is BEFORE I take it out.
If you pull the Chrysler emblem off the car you're gonna have some oddly shaped holes. Especially around the trunk. The steering wheel's gonna have a nice little hole on it too. I'm pretty sure this car will be Chrysler clad that's for sure.

Katshot
01-12-06, 05:43 AM
I must say, I think it's ugly too. Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me like other cars have. I didn't really like the looks of the 300C when it first came out either so I guess a design CAN grow on you. Time will tell. I think Chrysler DOES need a car like the Imperial, so it'll be interesting to see if it sells.

Randy_W
01-12-06, 07:43 AM
Guys, just dropped in for a quick visit! Kat, I'm with you, that is one ugly bastard!!!:cookoo:

tru504187211
01-12-06, 09:18 AM
Those nasty guts remind me of a reapolstered car from the 70's... Lovin that car!

deskjockey
01-12-06, 09:24 AM
i'll be havin me one, dat be fo sho.

noahsdad
01-12-06, 09:34 AM
Keep in mind this is a concept car. PT Cruiser aside, concept cars rarely make it to production with all cool stuff intact. I predict those suicide doors will be gone - liability lawyers will be standing in line to file the first lawsuit when one of those doors drags some poor sap out on to the freeway at 70 mph.

Those floating headlights are butt ugly. They remind me of the 1960-61 Imperials.
The dash and interior are awesome. Chrysler stylists are still the best at pushing the envelope.

If you want one of these, wait a couple of years. Imperials have a tradition of losing 60% of their value in the first year, and 30% more the second year. If the sticker is 50k, you can probably own one in 2009 for 15k.

Sandy
01-12-06, 05:07 PM
No, I'm not waiting! I want MY options and MYcolor scheme and I want it brand new, under 10 miles.

Thinking black, cream interior. This will be Imperial # 28. (I think...)
Only problem I see is what dealer to buy it at. I will not set foot in any Mega monster highway wowzer slam bam store. I'd like to find a very very small little dealer out in the boonies. Wait...there are NO boonies in Jersey ..... that way I'll get really good service, if need be. Anybody here from Jersey know of a really tiny Chrysler store ?? Rahway Motors in Rahway looks good. I think they sell like 10 a month.

noahsdad
01-12-06, 09:10 PM
No, I'm not waiting! I want MY options and MYcolor scheme and I want it brand new, under 10 miles.

Thinking black, cream interior. This will be Imperial # 28. (I think...)
Only problem I see is what dealer to buy it at. I will not set foot in any Mega monster highway wowzer slam bam store. I'd like to find a very very small little dealer out in the boonies. Wait...there are NO boonies in Jersey ..... that way I'll get really good service, if need be. Anybody here from Jersey know of a really tiny Chrysler store ?? Rahway Motors in Rahway looks good. I think they sell like 10 a month.

You go for it Sandy! I agree there's nothing like owning a brand new car, especially one as cool as this - I just have a hard time parting with the money. Guess that explains why I'm driving an '87 SDV.

You are smack on target with the small dealer thing. I've worked at both, and the little guys are definitely the choice of smart buyers. They work hard to please you and keep you. At the mega-stores, you're just another sap to be tapped.

Post some pics when you land your Imperial so we can drool.

90Brougham350
01-12-06, 09:50 PM
i'll be havin me one, dat be fo sho.

Huh?

http://www.epa.gov/sab/sge_course/images_sge/confused.jpg

Eric Kahn
01-12-06, 11:04 PM
the "floating" headlights are "retro" imperials in the 50's had headlights like that

CaddyCrisis
01-12-06, 11:06 PM
Huh?
http://www.epa.gov/sab/sge_course/images_sge/confused.jpg

HAHAHA!!:histeric:

Sandy
01-13-06, 09:05 AM
Well, I spent a LONG TIME on BOTH the Rolls Royce site AND the Bentley site (Corporate sites....)
I'll tell you exactly what MOPAR copied. They began with the R.R. and took
the belly. That is, from the bottom of the windshield (by the windshield wipers) back to the bottom of the rear window, where it meets the trunk lid. In so doing, they omitted the "C" window of the R.R. {Small little vertical window, just behind the rear door's major glass}. Then they added their own (MOPAR) rear decklid and added Bentley taillamps. At the front, they kept the R.R. style front fenders, and R.R. style grille & grille cap ~ changing them from vertical, to horizontal, and then deleted the R.R. headlamps (rectangle) and added identical Bentley Arnage headlamps.
I can see why the altered the rear of the car. On the R.R. or the Bentley Arnage, it's the rear that is the least recognizable. If a person is shown the front or the side, they are gonna know it's a R.R. ~ but from the back, (the trunk lid, rear bumper cover, and rear fender tops, it's not very definative as a R.R.)
By theway, I was surprised to see the both the Bentley & R.R. are offered in forty-one different colors! WOW. My guess is that the Imperial will ofer no more than 10.
This car is gonna be a home run with the Hip-Hop crew, and be a star in videos, and like the trend setters that they are, it will cross over to mainstream, like theNavagator did, like the Escalade did and like many clothing styles did. Like it, or hate it, this car stands out with its 213 inch length and 63.5 inch height, on the road, it will command attention. Definately NOT "me-too"

AlBundy
01-13-06, 08:20 PM
It looks like the 300 also giving it that Cheap Man's Bentley look and that rear end got to go. The inside is sweet(not the pink) as well as the doors.

Caddy Man
01-13-06, 10:14 PM
the problem i see with the Imperials proportions is its too tall for how wide it is. I notice this especially from the rear, the tailights look so close together. They need to make it a bit wider or bring the hieght down a bit. It just looks gaudy with its current stance in my opinion.

fpmesiIII
01-13-06, 10:30 PM
headlights need to be built around more (looks like eye balls with nothing surronding them), also the rear end def. needs some work and for gods sake that chrysler emblem has got to go :P atleast on mine it would. i dont think it needs a hood ornament, that would make it look too much like the RR Phantom, if it isnt already.

the interior is great :thumbsup: , also like the suicide doors.

Sandy
01-13-06, 10:37 PM
I love Gaudy! Gaudy is my middle mane ;)

II love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it ! lI love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !I love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !ove iI love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !t - I love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !
I love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !
I love it - I love it - I love it - I love it. The more I look, the more I love it !

:spin: :spin: :spin: :rolling: :excited: :gnome: :wes: :burn:

Katshot
01-14-06, 08:27 AM
Get ahold of yourself man!!! ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-06, 09:17 AM
I love Gaudy! Gaudy is my middle mane ;)

Sandy, If you love gaudy so much then what do you think of the 1974-79 Lincolns? They are a gaudy car, but not to the point of being pointlessly gaudy. Also, the 1974 Cadillacs are probably the gaudiest Caddys made in the '70s.

Sandy
01-14-06, 11:09 AM
1974 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Tallisman is my #1 Fav Caddy
1962 Imperial LeBaron is my Fav Imperial
1982 Lincoln Mark 6 Bill Blass Cabriolet Roof Genuine Wire Wheel Spring Special Fire Red & White Duo-Tone, is my favorite Lincoln.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-06, 11:38 AM
I have always loved the Mark Series Lincolns, they are one of my favorite car nameplates of all time. I would love to have a 1978 Mark V Bill Blass Edition in the white and navy blue exterior, with the full vinyl roof and IIRC, it had dark blue leather. I like the Mark VI's too, but they are quite underpowered for my tastes. Its funny that they look so small when compared to the IV or V, but its the exact same length as the 68-71 Mark III, 216" total length.

DaveDeVille
01-14-06, 11:50 AM
Never liked chryslers, still don't. (Except '66-'72 musclecars, of course)

Katshot
01-14-06, 11:50 AM
Yeah the Marks ARE nice. I guess it's no mystery which is my favorite though. ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-06, 12:26 PM
The Mark VII and later the VIII were really a new direction for the Marks. They were sleek, aerodynamic, very modern looking cars with 5 person seating, tons of electronics, and they were designed and built to compete with the Imports, namely the BMW 6 Series, M-B 380SEC, and later on the SC400 and Acura Legend.

The Marks were always the sportiest Lincolns, but the VII and VIII were world class sport luxury coupes.

That being said, my favorites are the 1976 Mark IV in Cartier trim, and the 1996 Mark VIII LSC.

megeebee
01-14-06, 11:41 PM
If I started typing now, and didn't stop until Gabriel blew his horn, I could not fully express my hatred of this thing. A graceless lump. When I first saw the studio photos I thought it was someones shop/chop joke. Then I see that it is indeed real and Chrysler (with a STRAIGHT FACE!) is showing it to the world. This will take Chrysler years to live-down. Imagine allowing your companies' reputation for excellence in design to be ruined with just one mistake like this. If you haven't yet, go to www.autoextremist.com and read his take on this and lots of other NAIAS stuff.

Katshot
01-16-06, 09:36 AM
As taken from Autoextremist.com:

But without question, the concept that set Chrysler Design back at least 25 years (and sent the design community as a whole into shock) was the relentlessly hideous Imperial Concept. Imagine if Wal*Mart decided to get in the car business overnight and the market they were absolutely convinced they could succeed in was the $300,000+ Rolls-Royce Phantom/Mercedes-Benz Maybach niche. Being Wal*Mart, of course, they would locate a junior college with a burgeoning wannabe automotive design program (a friend of a friend of a guy over in marketing who's their resident "car guy" said these guys were "good") and commence initial design work. After a month or so and a couple of reviews, they call it "perfect" and then contract an unknown, unnamed manufacturer in China to build the car, so that they can bring it in to the U.S. market for $49,995. And here it is... Chrysler Imperial Concept.
In what will surely go down in recent automotive design history as a gross miscalculation at best and an unmitigated disaster at worst, the Chrysler Imperial is one "blue sky" design notion that should never have gotten past the initial design "idea" meeting. Clumsily rendered and saddled with comical Toon Car proportions, the Imperial is simply the most embarrassing concept in my recent memory - and when it comes to design turkeys, I have a lengthy one. There is not one good angle, line, crease or fold on this "thing" - not one. How could this atrocity have been allowed to happen? After all, the men and women at Chrysler Design are plenty talented and capable, but Imperial is a complete travesty, a design disaster of incalculable proportions. I could go on, but I won't bother. Suffice to say, Chrysler's grand design legacy was virtually destroyed literally overnight by one monumentally bad judgment call - and it will be years before they'll live this down. Not a couple of car show seasons, folks, but years.

Damn I hate when people sugar-coat their opinons! ;)

iametarq
01-16-06, 10:17 AM
I really like that! WOW! I'd love to see that at an autoshow in a few years!

Night Wolf
01-16-06, 11:55 AM
Isn't it funny with this whole new generation of cars.... something that the auto world tried so hard to get away from in the late 80's and did in the 90's and now its all coming around.....

BOX IS BACK

Yup, the new cars are boxy and I love it! Funny how everyone made fun of 70's and 80's cars calling them boxes... yet these same people love these new cars... folks, it is basically my '79 DeVille and instead of right angle edges, they are rounded off..... no more jelly beans!

boricuacaddy
01-16-06, 11:56 AM
The new Green Hornet Black Beauty! Where is Kato when you need him.

David

Randy_W
01-16-06, 11:59 AM
Damn I hate when people sugar-coat their opinons! ;)

Kat, I'm with you on this one, as I said before, that is one ugly bastard of a car!:eek:

Lord Cadillac
01-16-06, 12:42 PM
I hate to say it but I feel the same about this Imperial.. At first, when I only saw it from the side - and could not tell how short it was, I loved it (as I love the look of the Phantom). But once I saw how stubby it was - and got an idea on what the front would look like - I stopped liking it..

I think Chrysler has the right idea with these types of cars - like the 300.. Yes, it has sort of a Bentley look to it - but what's wrong with that? Nothing, really. I love it.. Because of Chrysler, people can spend relatively little money and drive a car that looks extremely expensive.

If they make some major changes before the Imperial hits showroom floors, they may really have a winner on their hands.. Imagine driving a car that looks like a $300,000 Rolls Royce for $50,000?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-16-06, 12:56 PM
Is it possible for RR to trademark the design or sue Chrysler?

Sandy
01-16-06, 01:16 PM
You are all just very jealous of a design that will be hughly successful, with the Hip Hop generation, in film, and ultimately, like the 300C, a raving success. Herewith is "First Base" in this outta the park, bases loaded, home run:-

Friday, January 13, 2006

Drivers pick Imperial concept car as the best vehicle at the show

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

Drivers' Choice Awards

The Drivers' Choice awards are presented by William Dean Singleton, vice chairman and CEO of MediaNews Group, David J. Butler, editor and publisher of The Detroit News, and Steve Wasserman, vice president and general manager of WDIV-TV.

Drivers' choices

Here's what some members of the drivers' panel had to say about their favorite vehicles at the show.

O’Dell Tate

Lashell Williams

Leah Richards Inabnitt

Jerry Modzelewski

Ada Smith

Bob Cruzet

Jennifer Stocking

DETROIT — Our readers have spoken.

The Imperial large sedan concept was named best of show in the second-annual Detroit News/Local 4 Driver's Choice Awards.

The winners were chosen by a 100-member Detroit News reader panel who spent three hours touring the 2006 North American International Auto Show earler this week.

The awards were announced at a Detroit Economic Club luncheon at Cobo Center Friday by William Dean Singleton, vice chairman and CEO of MediaNews Group, which owns The Detroit News.

Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda, who accepted the three awards on behalf of DaimlerChrysler AG, said the honors are important because they are chosen by consumers.

He was especially pleased that the Imperial won best of show.

"I think it"s a testimony to the talent of our designers,” LaSorda said.

Randy_W
01-16-06, 01:25 PM
You are all just very jealous of a design that will be hughly successful, with the Hip Hop generation, in film, and ultimately, like the 300C, a raving success. Herewith is "First Base" in this outta the park, bases loaded, home run:-

Friday, January 13, 2006

Drivers pick Imperial concept car as the best vehicle at the show

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

Drivers' Choice Awards

The Drivers' Choice awards are presented by William Dean Singleton, vice chairman and CEO of MediaNews Group, David J. Butler, editor and publisher of The Detroit News, and Steve Wasserman, vice president and general manager of WDIV-TV.

Drivers' choices

Here's what some members of the drivers' panel had to say about their favorite vehicles at the show.

O’Dell Tate

Lashell Williams

Leah Richards Inabnitt

Jerry Modzelewski

Ada Smith

Bob Cruzet

Jennifer Stocking

DETROIT — Our readers have spoken.

The Imperial large sedan concept was named best of show in the second-annual Detroit News/Local 4 Driver's Choice Awards.

The winners were chosen by a 100-member Detroit News reader panel who spent three hours touring the 2006 North American International Auto Show earler this week.

The awards were announced at a Detroit Economic Club luncheon at Cobo Center Friday by William Dean Singleton, vice chairman and CEO of MediaNews Group, which owns The Detroit News.

Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda, who accepted the three awards on behalf of DaimlerChrysler AG, said the honors are important because they are chosen by consumers.

He was especially pleased that the Imperial won best of show.

"I think it"s a testimony to the talent of our designers,” LaSorda said.

Sany, I admit, it will be a big hit on Eight Mile Road!

I'd like to see the 100 people from Huntington woods or Bloomfield Hills vote, I'll bet the result wouldn't be the same as the 'Yo Boy Detroit' vote.:tisk:

Katshot
01-16-06, 02:38 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Just because there's a good deal of positive press about something, it doesn't mean it's a great car, or will be a success on the showroom floor where it counts. There's been many cars over the years that were voted as "Car of the year" or something similar yet they turned out to be junk. I can remember right off the top of my head, that there was similar buzz surrounding the old Chevy Citation and I think we can all agree that car was a POS.
Even IF the car actually IS a hit with the hip-hop crowd, it certainly doesn't mean that it will be a sales hit, or that I will ever like it. Like I said before, who knows, maybe it'll grow on me, other designs have.

Randy_W
01-16-06, 02:57 PM
Like I said before, who knows, maybe it'll grow on me,

Kat, if that ever grows on you,it'll be like a boil, you'll need to get it lanced!:thumbsup:

My wife had an X-11 Citation and didn't have any problems, but we only had it about 2 years, I know of many others that were worthless. The brakes sucked, but also about then, build quality was bad with all companies, even the imports had issues with it. Let's just say, the X-cars aren't collectables, yet.:bigroll:

Sandy
01-16-06, 03:38 PM
But look at the OTHER cars that were very successful with the Hip Hop crowd, and then crossed over:

Mercedes SUV & 6-Series
BMW SUV
Chrysler 300C
Infiniti FX
Almost all Lexi

The Cadillac XLS is so far a let down. I see (and assume you too see) very very few on the road. Granded it's a 2-seater, very costly, too.
This car has a wider audience as it's not as expensive as a XLR and seats 4.

I predict first year sales of 36,000. We will see. Alot has to do with corporate promotion. Advertising. Placement. (and) the snowball effect.

I think the easiest buyers to get into this Imperial are 1st year lease almost up 300C owners, and with the Park Avenue gone, perhap top shelf Buick owners. Most 1975 & prior Imperial owners are in nursing homes (at best).
WAIT, that's ME, I was a 1975 Imperial Owner. Oops!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-16-06, 03:57 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves...has Chrysler even announced production yet?

Would it be the Chrysler Imperial or would it be a seperate brand and nameplate like the Imperial Crown or Lebaron?

Night Wolf
01-16-06, 05:25 PM
As it is now.... Chrysler has NO luxury brand...

well, then again they have Mercedes... since the merge, I guess they can't really pump out a $50k Chrysler/Impearial, as it'll get in the way of MB sales....

but really with the 300C to top Chryslers corp. list of cars... well, its a kick ass car... but GM has Cadillac, Ford has Lincoln.... then Auura/Lexus/Infintiy etc... Chrysler needs something other then MB.

Katshot
01-16-06, 05:25 PM
Kat, if that ever grows on you,it'll be like a boil, you'll need to get it lanced!:thumbsup:

My wife had an X-11 Citation and didn't have any problems, but we only had it about 2 years, I know of many others that were worthless. The brakes sucked, but also about then, build quality was bad with all companies, even the imports had issues with it. Let's just say, the X-cars aren't collectables, yet.:bigroll:

Don't feel bad, my dad had a Citation and my mom had a Chevette! I was surrounded by JUNK! The point was that time has a way of making corrections. What was once thought of as the car of the year, eventually turned out to be known as one of GM's great blunders. It happens all the time.

Katshot
01-16-06, 05:31 PM
What the heck's a Cadillac XLS?

Sandy
01-16-06, 05:47 PM
It's the TYPO model of the XLR. Sorry.

Rick, regarding the name. It was ALWAYS just IMPERIAL, as cadillac was CADILLAC and lincoln was LINCOLN. But those running Mother Mopar these days were (at best) in High School when the cars were in showrooms, so they might make it "Chrysler" as the make and "Imperial" as the model. I'll let ya know when I receive my title.;)

Katshot
01-16-06, 05:52 PM
It's the TYPO model of the XLR. Sorry.

Oops, I see now. I was looking at the following sentence and thinking you were still talking about the XLS but now I see you were back to talking about the Imperial. These posts get confusing sometimes! :bonkers:
Sandy, after reading that historical on the Imperial at the club website, I thought they said that it went back and forth between being called a Chrysler and not.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-16-06, 05:53 PM
As it is now.... Chrysler has NO luxury brand...

well, then again they have Mercedes... since the merge, I guess they can't really pump out a $50k Chrysler/Impearial, as it'll get in the way of MB sales....

You are correct about Chrysler not having a true luxury brand. Chrysler is comparable to Buick, but whereas Buick has Cadillac above them, Chrysler has nothing....now.

I don't think a $50,000 Imperial will compete with a $50,000 M-B. For $50,000 you can get a E350, which is a midrange sedan thats kinda sporty. Whereas a $50,000 Imperial will be a much more stately sedan, probably not as sporty. The Imperial's closest competitor will probably be a DeVille or Town Car.

CaddyCrisis
01-17-06, 12:27 AM
I think Chrylser has a good luxury car out there right now. There is the 300C and my parents have a 99 LHS which has heated seats and everthing else except a sunroof and that car is a great ride on the interstate going about 95.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-06, 12:47 AM
I think Chrylser has a good luxury car out there right now. There is the 300C and my parents have a 99 LHS which has heated seats and everthing else except a sunroof and that car is a great ride on the interstate going about 95.

Yeah it depends on how you look at a luxury car. If you look at features and other luxury items, then yes Chrysler is a luxury brand, along with Oldsmobile and Buick. But most people look at the nameplate and pedigree also. Which is one of the reasons Cadillac can charge $36,000 for a deVille that is very similar (in many respects) to a $26,000 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite

CaddyCrisis
01-17-06, 01:02 AM
Which is one of the reasons Cadillac can charge $36,000 for a deVille that is very similar (in many respects) to a $26,000 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite

Very true! :thumbsup:

Sandy
01-17-06, 09:03 AM
You just can't throw out history.
Which Chrysler Corporation under mer-SAY-dees has done, or tries to do !

Plymouth >>> Chevrolet >>>> Ford
Dodge >>>>> Pontiac >>>>> Mercury
Chrysler >>>>> Buick & Oldsmobile >>>>>
Imperial >>>>>Cadillac >>>>> Lincoln

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-06, 12:48 PM
Heirarchy (sp?) for current automobiles based on MSRP's

Rolls Royce---Bentley---Maybach

Mercedes Benz--BMW--Audi--Jaguar-Porsche

Cadillac-Infiniti-Lexus-Acura-Lincoln

Saab--Volvo--Buick--Chrysler

Toyota-Nissan-VW-Pontiac-Dodge-Mercury-

Honda-Chevrolet-Ford-Mazda-Hyundai

Kia-Mini-Scion-Suzuki

Pete Benson
01-17-06, 07:22 PM
I've been looking at those high-res pictures for the better part of half an hour - right there on the screen in front of me, live and in living color, and I STILL can't believe it. With all due respect to those who like it, I cannot for the life of me remember ever seeing an uglier car: from one end to the other it is so profoundly grotesque that it nearly defies any kind of rational description.

Sandy
01-17-06, 07:45 PM
Which series of Imperials of the past did you like, Pete?

The 1974-1978
The 1969-1973
The 1967 & 1968
The 1964-1966
The 1961-1963
The 1957-1960

Just curious... If not sure, check here:-
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/index.htm

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-06, 08:07 PM
Personally, I really like the 1957-60, most specifically the 1957 Lebaron hardtop sedan with the dual headlights, I think they look dumber with the single headlamps.

Pete Benson
01-17-06, 08:37 PM
Which series of Imperials of the past did you like, Pete?
The 1974-1978
The 1969-1973
The 1967 & 1968
The 1964-1966
The 1961-1963
The 1957-1960
Just curious... If not sure, check here:-
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/index.htm
Sandy / I've always admired the '57-60's most of all, but I also liked the '69-73's. I realize these last were little more than tarted-up Chryslers, but I think Imperial did the best job on the details with with the "fuselage" styling concept Mopar was pushing in those days.
I think the '64-66's were also good looking cars, but the Elwood Engel influence ('61 Continental) was just too derivative and obvious.
I would LOVE to see a ravishing new Imperial, but man - I just don't think this is the way to go. Chrysler can do better.

Sandy
01-17-06, 11:50 PM
From a family that owned 22 ( one a year from 1957 thru 1978 ) and I owned my own six, having a father who had a 1/2 uncle that owned a ICP store, trust me on this, the absolute best was the 1971. It was the pinnacle of refinement, the greatest selection, options NOBODY in the field was yet to offer, and was a joy to drive & own. Amazingly, the 1970 (just a year before) was among the worst, if not THE worst. As we all know RUST was a tremendous problem on the 1957-1960s. Okay, we weren't bothered as we had them for just 2 years (1st year with Dad, 2nd year with Mom) and then they went back to the Uncle's used car lot as "Demos" ~ ~
In a close 2nd place were the 1974-1975. In 3rd the 1961-1963 followed closly by the 1964-1966. Their problem was weight !! They were just too heavy for thier torsion bars, their ill equipped to handle the load Pwr.Steering and their shocks. At flirting with 6,000 pounds when we had the two of them at one time ( 1964-1966) our driveway caved in !! I mean 11,400 pounds of cars in a similiar area of driveway ! Style-wise, hands downthe 1967 & 1968 and they were also at the top of the HI quality charts.

The 3 best? 1971, 1967/68 and 1974/1975.

Sandy's 1967 Convertible
http://www.imperialclub.com/IML-specific/Spotlight/Jan03/67/67ds.jpg

Jamler
01-18-06, 12:03 AM
Cool Looking... INterior is nice... But that back end is fugly..?
Right on with the Imperial... No such car as Chrysler Imperial!!!!

Sandy
01-18-06, 10:28 AM
well, that's not actually MY car, as back then there were no cameras to post a shot, much less computers. However, that is in fact an identcal car to mine, and for all I know, it might be mine. When you tilted the front bucket seat backs forward to get into the back, the power seat powered forward to enlarge the entracce way. If there were 4 people in the car, and you dropped off the one in the front passenger seat first, and then the two in the back seat, there was a supplementery door handle in the back, so that they could let themselves out! Everything on the dash was hidden behind individual closed panels. Stereo, heater, Air Conditioing, etc. She had a 8-Tract player and Autronic headlamps that dimmed from hi beam to regualr when an oncoming car was approaching and then resumed hi beam after no oncoming cars were arriving. Had Twilight Sentinel delay lighting and the "T.N.T." engine package which was a dual snorkel air cleaner, dual exhausts and a 3.9:1 axle ratio replacing a 3.23:1 ratio.
At 23,000 miles I traded it for a 1972 LeBaron 4-Door Hardtop in triple black.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-18-06, 01:32 PM
and the "T.N.T." engine package which was a dual snorkel air cleaner, dual exhausts and a 3.9:1 axle ratio replacing a 3.23:1 ratio.

Jesus Sandy a 3.90:1 rear axle?! :bonkers:
IIRC, all Imperials had the 440, I think around 375hp, so it had enough torque for a 2.73:1 rear end, but a 3.90:1....damn!
That must have had some tar shredding low end torque!

Sandy
01-18-06, 07:41 PM
I could hang right with (and surprise the heck) outta a Corvette driver ~ at least for the first 250 feet ! It also had a sever drinking habit! Sunoco 240 at 9 MPG round town ~ 13 on highway ! The ORIGINAL slurpiee :yup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-18-06, 08:03 PM
Sandy, this thread (and your stories) have inspired a new love for Imperial in me.

I have been looking around at imperialclub.com and I have come up with a few model years I like so far:
1967 (check out the "Crown Coupe Mobile Director option...its nuts! the front seat swivels 180* and a table swivels out of the rear armrest and voila..you have a conference center IN YOUR CAR!!!!)

and the 1981's are cool too..but in a very different way.

Chrylers' engineering is very evident in these cars. They have always had these neat little ideas that neither Ford or GM has ever tried. Like the dashboard on the 1967's was totally flush, all of the controls were hidden behind doors, and the "conference room" idea I talked about earlier.

Really some neat stuff
Chrysler really was cool from about 57-72 as far as I'm concerned!

Pete Benson
01-18-06, 10:01 PM
Sandy / While wandering through that nifty Imperial club link I suddenly remembered that the parents of a good buddy of mine from years ago had what I'm almost positive was a '63 Crown Coupe - medium metallic blue with a lighter metallic blue interior. I recall thinking it was waaaaaaaay cool, almost spectacular, at least until my parents bought a new '65 Cadillac Coupe deVille - white with black leather. Although only two model years separated the cars, the Caddy seemed far more modern and cleaner looking. Even so, that blue Imperial was still a classy ride.

Sandy
01-19-06, 12:53 AM
Error, see below

Sandy
01-19-06, 01:01 AM
This made me kinda laugh....
"" 1967 (check out the "Crown Coupe Mobile Director option...its nuts! the front seat swivels 180* and a table swivels out of the rear armrest and voila..you have a conference center IN YOUR CAR!!!!) ""

You are explaining this to me (and we actually had one!) It was a terrific "Hey, look at this" kinda thing, that I'd say nobody ever really used, other than to say.... "Hey, look at this" ! It was a drop dead car, tho. Triple black, body, vinyl top & leather. The bucket seats were leather, but there were two pleats or folds that were where the "seating area" met the outter bolsters. Between the two was this 1 inch pleat of sorts and it was made of
camel's hair ! Leather buckets trimmed in camel's hair. :eek: I bought a special little brush to brush it all back in shape, when I did the car.
My Dad hated the car as it was a PITA when he had to take clients in it. But Mom liked the coupes so once in a while we got a coupe. We had a 1969 LeBaron coupe, all white, padded full length roof, body & leather Buckets. The car was too too too big to be all white, and of course Dad disliked it (coupe) and he called it "Mom's Milk Wagon" ~ Dad had a maroon 1970 LeBaron 4-Door with beige leather, followed by a 1971 charcoal grey 4-Dr LeBaron with black vinyl top & black leather. (Which was Sandy's #1 favorite, with the cassete/recorder on the floor and the head lite washers & scrubbers, and the power vent wings, and a Power Sun Roof. What a car !
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Accessories/washers.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Accessories/washers.htm&h=288&w=440&sz=41&tbnid=i0lUnyTMiOpw8M:&tbnh=80&tbnw=123&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3DImperial%2BHeadlight%2Bwashers%26svnu m%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

http://www.fuselage.de/chr71/71chr22b.jpg

[url]

70eldo
01-20-06, 08:39 AM
it is definately based on the 300 platform.... IMO a better way of using that platform! It looks way richer!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-20-06, 10:41 AM
Sandy, those Imperials had so much stuff in them that Caddy and Lincoln never tried out, like that mobile director option and the cassette recorder and stuff like that.

ted tcb
01-21-06, 10:55 PM
Sandy, that must've been fun, seeing which Imperial dad would bring home each year.
My father always wanted to project a more restrained profile, and brought home 300's and New Yorkers. Similar experience, though.
We had a black 64 300, silver blue '66 300, and a pretty, maroon '69 300.
Then came a '69 olive New Yorker, followed by a really nice silver 71NY with the blue roof. '72 brought a dark green/white top NY, then 75 was a triple gold NY.
My favourite was the 77 NYBrougham, metallic brown with road wheels and brown tufted leather, 440 lean burn. Basically, an Imperial twin minus the ALB.

All great cars, the only mechanical breakdown was a head gasket at 50k on the 1975.
At the same time, my mother had Grand Marquis' ... they definitely were inferior driver cars to the Chryslers. Those old torsion suspension systems were the king of the road for their time.
By 1978, my folks changed to Fleetwoods and Town Cars ... and my love affair for Caddy's was born.
I also have a deep affinity for high end Chryslers ... my next car will almost certainly be a slightly used 300C ... I really don't like the new STS/CTS/DTS designs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-22-06, 12:54 AM
Did Chrysler design the Torsion Ride suspension system?
Or did they just put it in a lot of luxury cars and make it more mainstream?
IIRC, they came out with it around 1957 on the 300C's