: Just got the GM Service Manuals

CtA318
01-10-06, 06:15 PM
Well my GM service manuals just came today and my god these things are like a bible. Hopefully the repairs on my Catera will go a little more smoothly now that I know what Im trying to do.

R-Caddy
01-10-06, 11:01 PM
Good luck. I will be buying those soon as well :yup:

smcnair21
01-11-06, 08:37 AM
where did you get those from?

tlarwa
01-11-06, 08:38 AM
Get them from Helminc.com. They are on sale (or at least were, a little while ago) for $65. I posted this info a few weeks back...

gixxer_751
01-11-06, 09:49 AM
CtA318 can you do me a huge favor and tell me where the CRANKSHAFT SENSOR clip goes on top of the engine. I got the sensor in the block, but cant see where the wire goes connected. HELP, my cat needs help!

CtA318
01-11-06, 02:50 PM
CtA318 can you do me a huge favor and tell me where the CRANKSHAFT SENSOR clip goes on top of the engine. I got the sensor in the block, but cant see where the wire goes connected. HELP, my cat needs help!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement:

Removal Procedure:
1. Disconnect the wiring harness (1) from the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor pigtail.
2. Securely attach a scrap piece of wire about 36 inches long to the CKP sensor pigtail back through the same routing.
3. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting and Jacking.
Important: Capture any lost engine oil in a container.
4. Remove the oil filter.
5. Loosen the oil cooler lines at the engine block. Back out the fittings far enough in order to gain suggicient clearance for the sensor pigtail connector to pass between the oil cooler lines and the side of the engine block.
6. Remove the fastening bolt for the CKP sensor (1).
7. Remove the CKP sensor and the O-ring seal from the engine block.
8. Remove the CKP sensor pigtail. Observe the routing of the pigtail. Gently pull the CKP sensor pigtail down through the routing path and out. Guide the pigtail connector along the top of the oil cooler lines around to the side of the lines and the block at the point of the widest gap. Stop when the pull wire is exposed at both ends of the routing path.
9. Disconnect the sensor from the pull wire.

Installation Procedure:
1. Securely attach the CKP sensor pigtail to the lower end of the pull wire.
2. Pass the pigtail connector between the oil cooler lines and the engine block.
3. Using the pull wire as a guide, pull the sensor pigtail along the top of the oil cooler lines and around to the rear of the engine. Use the pull wire to pull the pigtail up into position.
4. Disconnect the pull wire from the sensor pigtail.
5. Connect the sensor pigtail to the harness connector.
6. Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the CKP sensor and the engine block.
7. Install the CKP sensor with a new O-ring seal into the engine block.
8. Install the fastening bolt (1) for the CKP sensor.
9. Check the harness for proper routing. Make sure that the wiring cannot come n contact with the exhaust manifold.
10. Tighten the oil cooler lines at the engine block.
11. Install the oil filter.
12. Lower the vehicle. Recheck the engine oil level.

Dont be confused by the numbers. They just correspond to pictures in the manual. If I have a chance I'll scan them. Hope that helps.

gixxer_751
01-11-06, 03:19 PM
dude no scanning needed... perfect info ... thanks a bunch ;) :cheers:

CtA318
01-11-06, 04:48 PM
Im glad I could help. Everyone needs to do their part to untangle the Catera mystery lol.

DrivingEdge
01-14-06, 11:07 AM
What is the Torque for the valve cover bolts?
I think the Valve cover is also called the Cam cover.

CtA318
01-14-06, 12:28 PM
Tighten the valve cover bolts to 8 N.m (71 LB in).

STIENMETZCATERA
01-16-06, 09:35 PM
can you find out which wire is the signal wire on the o2 sensor?