: So the Cadillac CTS-V is definitely faster than the Dodge Charger SRT-8

verbs
01-10-06, 03:29 AM
Ran into one on the freeway....we went at it twice from a roll and both times I slowly pulled him and put about 1-2 cars on him from 65ish-110.

Fast ass car I must say, and the front looks badass (I got a good look in the rearview) ! I don't like the rears though at all.

Cool guy, gave a thumbs up as he was exiting. I swear this CTS-V is faster than I thought from a roll. :cool2:

digital
01-10-06, 03:37 AM
O rly? Baboosh!

Katshot
01-10-06, 08:59 AM
That's better than I would've expected considering the posted 1/4 mile ET's I've seen for both cars. Is your car stock?

Joey'sVee
01-10-06, 09:36 AM
I don't know for sure but I would gues the charger is the fastest (lightest) of all the SRT8s (300, charger, magnum)

Staxxin
01-10-06, 10:06 AM
Source is Yahoo Autos!

300C= 4160
Charger= 4160
Magnum= 4260

Joey'sVee
01-10-06, 10:24 AM
So the 2 door charger weighs the same as the 4 doors 300? That 300 looks bigger...maybe it's just me.

I wonder when the challenger will come out.

Staxxin
01-10-06, 10:27 AM
The Charger is 4-doors!

Kadonny
01-10-06, 10:50 AM
So the 2 door charger weighs the same as the 4 doors 300? That 300 looks bigger...maybe it's just me.

I wonder when the challenger will come out.

The Charger is in fact 4 doors.

The Challenger is in Motor Trend this month. I think it is still a concept.....right?

Staxxin
01-10-06, 10:59 AM
The Charger is in fact 4 doors.

The Challenger is in Motor Trend this month. I think it is still a concept.....right?

Yes it is... It was just released as a concept in Detriot.

Joey'sVee
01-10-06, 12:28 PM
Oh...my bad. I thought it was 2 doors.

I also heard GM was thinking about remaking a camaro or chevelle based on the 1970 model, or something like that.

a64pilot
01-10-06, 12:33 PM
That's better than I would've expected considering the posted 1/4 mile ET's I've seen for both cars. Is your car stock?
I think the key was "from a roll" The auto should help out in the 1/4, but from a roll the greater efficency of the stick would help. Not much maybe but maybe enough for him to get you a car length in the 1/4 and the other way around for say 65 to 110 or something like that. The same car with a high stall converter and good tires will destroy an identical manual tranny car in the 1/8 for example.

Slapshot
01-10-06, 12:55 PM
"I also heard GM was thinking about remaking a camaro or chevelle based on the 1970 model, or something like that."

Check this out from the Detroit Auto Show... Looks like they are going to try to take some of the Mustang's thunder for retro muscle cars...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/06detroit/photos/chevrolet/camaro.htm

CTS-VPaco
01-10-06, 01:36 PM
The Charger is also uglier than the V. :)

Seattle CTS-V
01-10-06, 01:45 PM

What are they trapping in the 1/4??

verbs
01-10-06, 02:01 PM
That's better than I would've expected considering the posted 1/4 mile ET's I've seen for both cars. Is your car stock?Bone

daytripper
01-10-06, 02:03 PM
Here's some more pics of the camaro concept at the Detroit show.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1124302/0602_mjd_chevy_camaro_02_445.jpghttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1124302/0602_mjd_chevy_camaro_04_445.jpghttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1124302/0602_mjd_chevy_camaro_05_445.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1124302/0602_mjd_chevy_camaro_01_445.jpg

Brian R.

Joey'sVee
01-10-06, 02:06 PM
More camaro info...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108825

Katshot
01-10-06, 02:15 PM
What are they trapping in the 1/4??

Well, I happened to witness a SRT-8 Charger do a 12.8sec 1/4 mile at Englishtown, NJ and it was bone stock. Even had the OEM air filter still in place. BTW, a 300C SRT-8 did a 12.9 that same day bone stock. I've never seen a CTS-V at the track. The day I saw the MOPARs running, I was actually there to meet up with a bunch of CTS-V guys but they never showed up. One guy did but he left without ever running. But I can't recall anyone ever getting into the 12's with a stock CTS-V.

alcast082
01-10-06, 02:24 PM
they hook up without hooping on the start, If our car was easier to get going out of the whole i think we could get those times.

GNSCOTT
01-10-06, 02:41 PM
There are many 300's and Chargers in the 12's bone stock. I still haven't seen any V's in the 12's and i do not think my car had a 12 in it. Cars are too close for me to tell by an ass dyno, and it is hard to tell the difference with an ass dyno between an auto and a stick, but I would not be shocked if on a good day my 300 pulled some high 12's.

Mat347
01-10-06, 03:11 PM
This race was FROM A ROLL! I'm sure the SRT's better hooking ability will spank the V's "launch". Look at the MPH of the V's, we definitely have the power to get into the 12's, just not the suspension. Slap a 9" and some stickies under my V...I'll run 12's all day long.

Just out of curiosity, how many lateral G's do the SRT's pull bone stock?

Joey'sVee
01-10-06, 03:56 PM
This race was FROM A ROLL! I'm sure the SRT's better hooking ability will spank the V's "launch". Look at the MPH of the V's, we definitely have the power to get into the 12's, just not the suspension. Slap a 9" and some stickies under my V...I'll run 12's all day long.

If you go to the track with a bone stock v....and I mean BONE stock and just replace the tires with slicks you WILL NOT get 12s even if the diff holds up, period. :eek:

lawfive
01-10-06, 03:59 PM
Here's some more pics of the camaro concept at the Detroit show.

Not feeling it.

D-C: Bring on the Challenger!! :cloud9:

verbs
01-10-06, 04:42 PM
If you go to the track with a bone stock v....and I mean BONE stock and just replace the tires with slicks you WILL NOT get 12s even if the diff holds up, period. :eek:If you went to E-town the same nite the 300C ran a 12.9 and had drag radials on, and that's it, you'd better run a 12 in the V (assuming no wheel hop).....

VELOSE
01-10-06, 05:25 PM
YAAAAAAY! Another great kill! That's another beast I don't have to worry about. Time to go hunt them down from a roll. :D

kjr39
01-10-06, 05:43 PM
I tell ya. I look at the concept Camaro and really like it. Then I look at it again and it look like shat.

Nothing like the V. When I saw it at the auto show I wet myself.

thebigjimsho
01-10-06, 07:21 PM
I tell ya. I look at the concept Camaro and really like it. Then I look at it again and it look like shat.

Nothing like the V. When I saw it at the auto show I wet myself.I read about the V in C&D in August of '03 and me likey! I start thinking about what I'd need to do to get one for the summer of '04. When I saw it at the local show, I stared in wonder at the shiny, black beast. That's when it was go time for me. I hadn't felt that way about a car since seeing the new M5 in '00.

VELOSE
01-10-06, 07:44 PM
I'd love to have a Challenger as well. Something tells me this car is going to be a hit. It's going to be relatively cheap considering the amount of performance your going to get, Hemi 425hp, coupe, Brembo's, Carbon fiber hood, Pistol Grip, and a beautiful design, IMO. I'd be inline to get one if my V is paid off by then. On the other hand, it would be fun to wait for limited production of Challenger to come out later on, say a "Six-Pack".

kjr39
01-10-06, 08:27 PM
The Challenger concept is sweet looking. But, I wouldn't put it past Chrysler on doing something to f**k it up before they release it... The concept pics of the Charger were sweet, but it looks like ass if you ask me.

I think I'm going to sign the wife up for one of these when they come out:

Solstice GXP (http://streetdream.de/cars/pontiac/solstice_gpx.html)

Mat347
01-10-06, 08:57 PM
If you go to the track with a bone stock v....and I mean BONE stock and just replace the tires with slicks you WILL NOT get 12s even if the diff holds up, period. :eek:

Putting a 9" means no more IRS..which means no more wheelhop and with stickies(slicks) I can launch from 5k+ and actually hook up...and yes...I WOULD get 12's easy, the trap speeds of stock Vs being close to 109 shows the power is there. With bone stock V's already running low 13's I don't see how you can say 12's are impossible.

2004ctsv
01-10-06, 09:16 PM
The Camaro's back?

If only I had hair, I'd grow a mullet too:lildevil:

Tony

skepticman
01-10-06, 09:21 PM
I think I'm going to sign the wife up for one of these when they come out:

Solstice GXP (http://streetdream.de/cars/pontiac/solstice_gpx.html)
You might want to wait and see if they put out a Saturn Sky Redline (http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2007-Saturn-Sky-Roadster.htm). I've heard lots of stories about dealers trying to sell the Solstice for up to $5K above sticker with BS market adjustments. I'm not sure Saturn dealers would be able to do that with their no-negotiate policy. I think the Sky is much better looking anyway, and I'd own one if was willing to spend the money for a second car.

thebigjimsho
01-11-06, 12:15 AM
You might want to wait and see if they put out a Saturn Sky Redline (http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2007-Saturn-Sky-Roadster.htm). I've heard lots of stories about dealers trying to sell the Solstice for up to $5K above sticker with BS market adjustments. I'm not sure Saturn dealers would be able to do that with their no-negotiate policy. I think the Sky is much better looking anyway, and I'd own one if was willing to spend the money for a second car.True dat! Except I would spend some extra $$ on a Mallett LS2 conversion and a few extras. The Sky is far better looking than the Solstice.

kjr39
01-11-06, 12:24 AM
Nah, I'm a fan of the Solstice over the Sky...

I'm hoping to get one with GMS...

If not, I'll just get a regular Solstice. The wife doesn't care either way and I know I'll be force to get the automagic trans.

Katshot
01-11-06, 08:38 AM
True dat! Except I would spend some extra $$ on a Mallett LS2 conversion and a few extras. The Sky is far better looking than the Solstice.

OMG! I couldn't agree more. Go figure.

a64pilot
01-11-06, 08:39 AM
The Camaro's back?

If only I had hair, I'd grow a mullet too:lildevil:

Tony
Chuck you Farley
To me the Camaro concept car looks too much like a Mustang clone for me, and I wouldn't have a "stang" on a stick.

Cure the launch problems and the V should be in the 12's. I've seen too many Fbody's there to not think the V could do it. Again it only takes 3 mods to put a late model auto Fbody in the 11's, why shouldn't a V be in the 12's?

Katshot
01-11-06, 08:43 AM
As for the Challenger, I have a good feeling about this one. I think MOPAR is actually going to hit the mark with a TRUE American muscle car. Just like the recipe from the 60's, the car should be Hot, fast, and cheap. Keep the gizmos and gadgets for other cars like the 300C SRT-8. This car (and likely the upcoming Road Runner) will hopefully be near blank canvas cars for the customers to "play" with.

GT04CTS-V
01-11-06, 10:17 AM
SRT-8 is butt ugly.

GT

VELOSE
01-11-06, 02:00 PM
As for the Challenger, I have a good feeling about this one. I think MOPAR is actually going to hit the mark with a TRUE American muscle car. Just like the recipe from the 60's, the car should be Hot, fast, and cheap. Keep the gizmos and gadgets for other cars like the 300C SRT-8. This car (and likely the upcoming Road Runner) will hopefully be near blank canvas cars for the customers to "play" with.

I totally forgot about the Road Runner. If they ever come out with one, I'd be inline for one of those as well.:worship:

Joey'sVee
01-11-06, 02:27 PM
Road Runner???????? UMMMM Plymouth is dead. Road Runner was a cheap Charger...but now the new Charger is cheap so why would you come out with a cheaper version?

daytripper
01-11-06, 03:20 PM
Not feeling it.

D-C: Bring on the Challenger!! :cloud9:

Yeah, me neither.

What's with Dodge stating that they can't work out a business case for the Challenger. May have to price $6-$7k over the Mustang GT. I think I read that in the rags, but that may just be Dodge blowing smoke at the media to throw them off.

Should be interesting in the next few years...

Brian R.

a64pilot
01-11-06, 03:22 PM
If they do build the Road Runner I'm in. It was my first real car.

verbs
01-11-06, 04:51 PM
My thread got hijacked :(

Deuuuce
03-04-06, 05:21 AM
I'm calling BS. 1-2 cars from 65-110? 1-2 cars, no way. Not stock vs. stock. I'll take a stock one on anytime from a roll.

urbanski
03-04-06, 07:26 AM
nice bump
off to the Lounge

Lounge mods, this is more about DC than Caddy versus...

gothicaleigh
03-04-06, 09:43 AM
The CTS-V is a Nurburgring car. It's developed for large difficult tracks, not drag racing. I know this is probably hard for some of you red-blooded americans, but the car was not made to stoplight race.
With it's power, sure it does a respectable job there, but it isn't what the car was built for. The suspension has been praised many times over for pulling the trick of making the heavy CTS feel like a sports car (it's a 5-series sized car that handles at the level of the much smaller 3-series; that speaks volumes about how well thought out the suspension is).
The other route GM could have taken was to make it a straightline monster, but this would assuredly give up some of the amazing handling characteristics and we would have just another "american car" that can't navigate a corner properly.
If you want a four door muscle car, go to the SRTs. If you want an american built car on the level of Germany's finest, buy a V.

HotRodSaint
03-04-06, 11:27 AM
If you want a four door muscle car, go to the SRTs. If you want an american built car on the level of Germany's finest, buy a V.

Well stated! :thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
03-04-06, 01:36 PM

For reals.

CVP33
03-12-06, 04:24 PM

Funny. I use to believe that crap too.

Zorb750
03-13-06, 03:39 PM
A 540i Sport totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's M5. Yes, it's not as fast in a straight line as either of them, but it can do handle winter (shot at 300), and it can race without worrying about its differential exploding (shot at CTS-V). I mean my 7 has better track performance than the 300C SRT8 and I can't keep up with the 540i Sport on a track, not straight line speed, but handling's the game on a track as long as you've got enough power to keep your speed up, which my 400HP qualifies me for.

CVP33
03-13-06, 07:34 PM
A 540i Sport totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's M5. Yes, it's not as fast in a straight line as either of them, but it can do handle winter (shot at 300), and it can race without worrying about its differential exploding (shot at CTS-V). I mean my 7 has better track performance than the 300C SRT8 and I can't keep up with the 540i Sport on a track, not straight line speed, but handling's the game on a track as long as you've got enough power to keep your speed up, which my 400HP qualifies me for.

A WRX STi totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's Z06. Yes, it's not as fast in a straight line as either of them, but it can handle winter. (shot at CTS-V), and it can race without worrying about it's differentials explogding (shot at CTS-V). I mean my S2000 has better track performance than the 300C SRT8 and I can't keep up with the WRX STi on a track, not straight line speed, but handling's the game on a track as long as you've got enough power to keep your speed up, which my 425HP qualifies me for.

NOW SEE HOW FREAKING RIDICULOUS YOUR ARGUMENT IS JUST BY SUBSTITUTING WRX STi AND S2000? WHAT A MAROON. :rolleyes: :thepan:

Zorb750
03-14-06, 02:48 AM
A WRX STi totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's Z06. Yes, it's not as fast in a straight line as either of them, but it can handle winter. (shot at CTS-V), and it can race without worrying about it's differentials explogding (shot at CTS-V). I mean my S2000 has better track performance than the 300C SRT8 and I can't keep up with the WRX STi on a track, not straight line speed, but handling's the game on a track as long as you've got enough power to keep your speed up, which my 425HP qualifies me for.

NOW SEE HOW FREAKING RIDICULOUS YOUR ARGUMENT IS JUST BY SUBSTITUTING WRX STi AND S2000? WHAT A MAROON. :rolleyes: :thepan:

You truly are an idiot. The WRX STi has 300HP, not 425.

The WRX is also the size of an econobox.

A 5 is about the same size as your car, even though it doesn't look it. My 7 is a lot bigger than your car. An Ariel Atom will smoke any of the above mentioned cars.

If you ever saw a 300 SRT8 run on Autocross, you would not be arguing.

CVP33
03-14-06, 03:29 PM
Not arguing just comparing. The 300C has the dimensions of a 7 class not the 5 class. The CTS-V is 5 sized not 3 sized. To compare the track abilities of a CTS-V, 5 series, 7 series and 300C SRT-8 is frankly stupid. It is akin to comparing a WRX STi, S2000 and the like. All completely different cars garnering completely different praise for completely different reasons.

My 300C SRT-8 will blow away all of the cars above in a straight line. It will comfortably seat 5 occupants and it's ride is compliant and quiet. All for the low price of $46,000. None of the cars mentioned above can make the claim of price, option and performance that the SRT can.

Now had I wanted a track car, I'd have bought a track car. And BTW, who the hell auto crosses a 300? Are you that stupid?

Zorb750
03-15-06, 04:56 PM
There is a full size class for your Chrysler. They put it with the Chevrolet Impalas and Caprices, BMW 7, MB S class, Audi A8/S8, Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Marauder and Grand Marquis, and other similarly sized cars.

Heck, there's a minivan class. The only cars that don't fit into anything are the Seville and Deville. (Front wheel drive in that size car is uncommon.)

The WRX and S2000 are approximately in the same class either way. Their track times are really close.

CVP33
03-15-06, 05:44 PM
The 300C SRT-8 is too large to toss around comfortably. Could you do it? Of course. The CTS-V is the more trackworthy of the bunch but frankly a large track and not an autocross set up in a mall parking lot. :thumbsup:

gothicaleigh
03-17-06, 09:32 AM
Funny. I use to believe that crap too.

What crap?
The SRT is the better dragstrip car.
The V is the better track car.

A 540i Sport totally stock will SMOKE both of those cars on a track. It's a poor man's M5.

The V ran better lap times at the Nurburgring than both the M3 and M5.
This was also done by a BMW 'ring driver the first time he was behind the wheel of a V.

I'm sorry, your 540i Sport, while a very trackable car, is not going touch a V on a real course.

Katshot
03-17-06, 10:00 AM
I'm so sick and tired of people using the Nurburgring as the final word in a car's ability. Do you not understand that it's become a joke among the industry? Take that car that yields the top lap times on the Nurburgring and compare it to the same group on other tracks and the outcome will be different, so what does it actually prove? Nothing. It's a friggin' marketing tool, similar to using a vehicle's 0-60 time as a benchmark for it's overall performance. Silly, just plain silly.

gothicaleigh
03-17-06, 10:45 AM
I'm so sick and tired of people using the Nurburgring as the final word in a car's ability. Do you not understand that it's become a joke among the industry? Take that car that yields the top lap times on the Nurburgring and compare it to the same group on other tracks and the outcome will be different, so what does it actually prove? Nothing. It's a friggin' marketing tool, similar to using a vehicle's 0-60 time as a benchmark for it's overall performance. Silly, just plain silly.

No, using dragstrip times to determine a car's worth is silly.

The 'Ring is one of the most difficult and respected courses in the world because it tests every aspect of a car's ability. Comparing it to 0-60 times is inane.

Katshot
03-17-06, 01:38 PM
No, using dragstrip times to determine a car's worth is silly.

That depends on what you want the car for. If your main interest in a car's performance is it's acceleration, then a drag strip is a perfect test IMO. Face it, until fairly recently, most "performance" cars other than pure "sports cars" offered little beyond straight line performance, and to this day, I believe MOST people still favor straight line punch as their most important factor in choosing a "performance" car.

MCaesar
03-19-06, 09:12 AM

Put the crack pipe down

A 300C SRT8 will smoke a 7 series

Zorb750
03-20-06, 11:15 PM
Not with the Dinan suspension upgrades.

marnepup
03-21-06, 09:36 AM
All right, first of all, the idea that an SRT8 isn't trackworthy is about the most ridiculous thing I've heard lately:

Skidpad:

SRT8: .90
CTS-V: .87

100-0:

SRT8: 317'
CTS-V: 317'

600' Slalom:

SRT8: 67.3MPH
CTS-V: 66.8MPH

Sounds like the two cars are pretty evenly matched, huh? So get off the "SRT is a dragster, V is a true race car" kick, it's idiotic.

And since numbers from a car rag are just that, here's a little anecdote from a vette owner:

I was at Infineon Raceway on 09/07/05. I saw it with my own eyes. But Dan is being modest. He's also a damn good driver and that does make a difference when slinging a 4000+ pound "bad ass" SRT-8 around the track. He was smokin' most of us and drove that thing like a bat out of hell. I am a rookie when it comes to track racing and did not have the skills to drive my Corvette C6 (Auto, F55 suspension) at peak performance. The most I could muster was coming out of the corners at top speed. I could accelerate out of the turns with amazing speed and torque. But I lacked the skill to turn the corners at an optimal speed. Nevertheless, at one point I looked at my G-meter and noticed that I was pulling up to 0.95 G's around some turns of the raceway. If this rookie was pulling 0.95 G's, the more experienced drivers, like Dan, were pulling up to 1.0 G's in some turns.

Anyway, when I looked into my rearview mirror, there was Dan in his Chrysler SRT-8 charging up on my rear. After a few rounds of this, I signaled him to pass and off he roared to embarrass other drivers. (Frankly, he wore me down. I did not realize how physically demanding track racing can be.)

I was amazed that a car of that bulk could handle so well on a race track. The SRT-8 handled well around the turns and was simply a beast on the track. The suspension and Hemi engine---what can I say other than I was impressed. Although it was not the sexiest car on the track (mine was), Dan's SRT-8 was the "coolest" car that day with its kicker system, DVD player, Nav and other options. Dan also allowed one of the driving instructors to drive his car so that we could hear the exhaust as it was accelerating at top speed down the track. Sweet sounding exhaust for a stock car. Although some of you may want a "louder" sounding exhaust, the stock exhaust sounds fit the car.

One bit of advice for SRT-8 owners considering attendance at a high performance driving course--ask Dan how much gas he consumed during one day of track racing.

As Dan stated there were a variety of high performance cars on the track that day and believe me Dan made all owners of the SRT-8 proud. Next time, I'll need to drive a 2006 Corvette Z06 to kick some SRT-8 booty on the track.

Sincerely,
Dave, aka TopDog

And here's what the SRT was up against:

Spent all day TODAY at Sears Point (aka infineon) Raceway in Sonoma CA pushing my 2 week old 06 Black SRT-8 through 12 turns with about 17 other car enthusiasts.

ESP on, ESP off. All manual shifting, all Automatic.

I would love to say that esp off, manual was quickest.

Ummm. Damn semiconductors. Full Auto, ESP On = Sick

That 4180 lb rocket sled devoured most cars with ease.

Cars in Attendance (partial list) Porsche 2001 twin turbo, Supercharged Porsche convertble, 2005 Corvette (bone stock like new) Acura NSX (Race Set-up Carbon fiber...) Mustang GT Convertible (with Nitrous) Cooper Mini, BMW M3 (stock) and M5 (very not stock), FireHawk, Honda S2000, Mustang, Camaro... & My SRT-8.

With ESP, Shifting Manual (mostly 2nd to 3rd and back) and Automatic = Passed all but 2 of the above, some repeatedly. Out of respect for my fellow drivers, I won't say which 2. Hint: It wasn't the two most expensive.

Said one driver after a 25-30 minute session: "Did you lap me three times?"

My reply " No, only twice, I pulled into the pits once and passed you again."

"Oh" he said, then walked off.

Regarding the ESP. With the traction control, and the yaw control, and the abs... This car helped me get better lap times, and stay on the track, and not eat any tire barriers etc...

Is the SRT a 4-door muscle car? Absolutely...but it's a track-worthy one.:thumbsup: